Life of a Psychic (Chapters 1-2) | Teen Ink

Life of a Psychic (Chapters 1-2)

August 12, 2014
By Alexis Ellison, El Paso, Texas
More by this author
Alexis Ellison, El Paso, Texas
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Vivaldi blares through Rachel’s headphones. The music is so loud that the other patients can hear it, but they couldn’t care less. There’s a sense of unity between the patients like it’s them against the world; in a way it is. They wouldn’t dare tell on her.

The music plays over and over. It’s the only thing that can distract Rachel from the suckiness that is her life. She hears footsteps down the coming closer and closer to her room, most likely to check to see if everyone is asleep.

Someone makes a ‘caw, caw’ noise. It’s like a signal of sorts. A warning to Rachel whose music is loud enough to hear in the stillness of the room, but not loud enough to completely ignore her surroundings. She takes off her headphones quicker than you can say, “crazy”, turns on her side and feigns sleep.

The nurse steps into the room. Rachel can see the light of the door casting the nurse’s shadow on the wall. It’s Barbra. She’s really good at catching the girls awake when they aren’t supposed to be. It’s almost like she’s psychic, but that’s impossible. Isn’t it?

Rachel claims to be able to read minds and see the spirits of the dead. That’s the main reason she’s in the nuthouse. She couldn't possibly be the only one, right?

So it might not be impossible for another psychic to be walking around here.

“Lights out girls. Especially you, Rachel.” Barbra says with a sigh. You can just hear the exhaustion in her voice. That’s what you get from dealing with crazies all day, Rachel thinks. Barbra closes the door and the room becomes dark again.

Rachel whispers to the girl next to her, “That was close, huh?”

There’s no answer, and Rachel assumes that the girl is already asleep. It’s safe to turn on her music again. She turns it up, but not loud enough to disturb the other two girls in the room. She falls into a dreamless sleep to the violin riffs of Vivaldi’s Four Seasons-Winter.

Rachel discovered her gift of mind reading when she was only seven. It happened suddenly and without warning like the time someone hit her in the head with a rock on the playground. She was in class, doodling on her math handout when she heard a small voice in her head say, “I wish it was lunch.” She thought it was her voice at first, but as she did her work she heard two, then three, then four voices at once floating around in her mind. She was so perplexed that she didn’t notice someone calling her name.

“Rachel, hey Rachel,” the voice shouted into her ear. She recognized it as one of the voices in her head. It was James White. He had been asking for a pencil for the past minute or so, and somehow Rachel hadn’t heard him even though she sat right next to him.

“Oh, um, sure you can have a pencil. Here you go,” she said and handed him a standard issue no. 2 pencil.

Rachel got back to working on multiplication—which she hated. That was when the voices decided to invade her thoughts once more. Being a smart little girl, she decided to actually listen to the voices instead of freak out. She discovered that a lot of them sounded like her classmates and that was how she figured out that she wasn’t crazy at all. She was psychic. A lot of people didn’t believe her though. Everyone thought that it was the overactive imagination of a child. Except that she never stopped talking about how she could read minds.

It went on for years. As Rachel got older, the mind reading became more uncontrollable. On one of her worse days, she would be able to hear everyone in the immediate vicinity. It wasn’t good if she actually wanted to go to the movies or to the mall or actually have a life. It was why she didn’t have many friends. It was also why she was almost always seen wearing headphones with her music turned all the way up. It was a pleasant distraction.

It was only when she told her parents that she was seeing the spirits of the dead that they decided to do something; that something was to send her to a mental hospital where she was diagnosed with schizophrenia. It is why she’s here in this place anyway, and she hates it.

Rachel wakes up at six-thirty, a whole thirty minutes early. She usually takes this time to write in her journal about whatever. She has time to do it throughout the day, but she doesn’t usually have the privacy she does now, so she cherishes the time she has. It was something that she used to not do, but she supposes that being in a place like a mental hospital does that to you.

She writes about life in the hospital and all of the patients. The usually writes about the weird dreams she’s had, but lately, she hasn’t had any. It wasn’t strange at first, but it’s like there’s something missing without them.

Barbra opens the door to tell the other girls to wake up. She sees Rachel already dressed and smiles. What a good a girl.

“You’re going to say that I’m a good girl. Thanks Barbra,” Rachel says. She laughs at Barbra’s bewildered look. Freaking people out is always fun.

“How did you know I was going to say that,” Barbra asks, biting her lip. It’s a nervous habit that she has along with biting the inside of her mouth. Having telepathy gives you access to everything about a person. That’s what Rachel likes about it. It means that you’re always one step ahead of everyone else.

“I keep telling everyone that I’m not schizophrenic, but no one will listen to me.” Rachel gives one of her best kicked puppy looks. “I wish I could be let out of here.”

“You’ll be let out of here soon enough if you stop telling people that you can read minds,” Barbra reminds her. The nurse goes over to the other two beds and shakes the other girls.

“It’s time for breakfast girls!”

Melissa groans and turns over.

“I hate breakfast,” she says.

Rosie stretches out her legs and sits up. Her blonde hair is sticking up in all directions and Rachel giggles.

“You all head down to the cafeteria. I have to wake the rest of the wing.”

After a few moments of lying in bed we comply with Barbra’s wishes. The others and Rachel go down into the cafeteria to begin another day of routine. Oh joy, Rachel thinks.

"What's it like in the loony bin," the ghost girl asks. Rachel passes her time mostly by speaking to the spirits of the dead. Reading minds is fun too, but it doesn't mean she's actually talking to the person. So she settles with speaking to dead people. They prove to be a nice source of conversation.

"It's not that bad, actually. Being around other mentally ill people makes me feel more normal," Rachel replies.

"You feel normal, but you'll never be normal." Ghost girl flips her chestnut colored hair over her shoulder and gives a smug smile.

"You'll always be crazy," she says.

Rachel sighs. She hates talking to this girl. She always knows how to get beneath her skin. It's not like she can do anything about it. Rachel has always contemplated punching the ghost girl in the arm or something, but you can't punch a ghost. Is would be like punching the air, and it would make Rachel like she's actually insane.

Rachel sighs again; it's something she seems to do a lot lately.

"You know, we don't have to figure out how you died. I can just let you stay here. Forever." That seems to get Ghost Girl to leave her alone. At least for now.

"You know my weakness. I'll leave you alone."

Rachel and Ghost Girl first met when Rachel was nine. It was a cold winter day around the time Ghost Girl had died. Rachel was inside her room with a mug of steaming hot chocolate when suddenly, a girl of about twelve years old is standing on her bed.

She was muddy from head to toe. She was wearing a red hoodie and light blue skinny jeans that were both torn nearly to shreds. The thing that stood out the most was the fact that the girl was almost invisible.

"Hello," Rachel said with a nervous edge in her voice. She knew the girl was a ghost. It was her first time ever meeting one. Who knew what would happen?

"Hi," the girl replied. She sounded puzzled like she didn't know why she was here.

"I think that you're supposed to help me with something. Like, help me get to the afterlife."

"I don't know how to do that."

"What do you mean you don't know? They told me to come to you!"

Rachel was taken aback. Who told the ghost to come to her? And why did they think that she would be able to help? She decided to ask Ghost Girl who was still standing uncomfortably on Rachel's bed.

"I just heard voices in my head telling me to come to you. They said you would be able to help me. You obviously don't know how, so I'll just find someone else more suited to help me."

It hadn't even been five minutes and this ghost was already trying her patience.

Rachel sighed.

"I'll help you, ok? I'm Rachel," she said. "What's your name?"

"I don't know. I don't remember any thing," Ghost Girl said crestfallen.

It must really suck not being able to remember your own name or even your own family. That was probably one of the reasons that she helped the ghost girl in the first place. It definitely wasn't because the ghost was nice; she was far from it.



"Rachel, who are you talking to?", a nameless nurse asks. She doesn't care to remember their names as most nurses don't care to treat the patients like human beings.

"I wasn't talking to anyone."

"Really."

"Yeah, really. I think that being around crazy people has made you crazy too."

Ghost Girl snickers beside her. Rachel had forgotten she was there, but her presence serves as some encouragement.

The nurse scowls and saunters away.

"That was close," Ghost girl says. "You need to be more discreet while talking to me. You almost got sent to the D wing! You might not be this lucky next time."

Rachel glares at the ghost. But if you were looking from the outside in, it would look like Rachel was glaring at an open space.

"If you had left me alone until I made it to my room like I told you, then I wouldn't have almost been sent there."

Rachel looks around. Some patients have noticed her outburst but she doesn't really care about what the patients think. They have all accepted the fact that Rachel sometimes talks to the thin air. Those in the category of "No Acceptance Whatsoever" consist mostly of the nurses and her family, but the nonacceptance is disguised as "We're trying to make you get better." Sadly, they've noticed her outburst too, and they're not too discreet about it. They stare at her with caution like she's a ticking time bomb.

Was she just talking to the air?

She should be in the D wing.

Someone should tell her doctor.

The great amount of thoughts that invade her head has her curling up into a ball on the couch. She hates when this happens because any semblance of control she thinks she has disappears.

Crazy

Putting her hands over her ears, she wills the thoughts to stop. And to her surprise, they stop. How she even did that, she'll never know. She notices the nurses still staring in her direction.

If Rachel is a mind reader, what else can she do?

Rachel concentrates hard and says, "Nothing happened. I don't need to go to the D wing."

Miraculously, the nurses turn away like nothing took place at all. A drop of blood trickles down Rachel's nose. It looks like she won't be controlling the minds of the nurses again any time soon.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.