Pride in the Sky | Teen Ink

Pride in the Sky

By cmcilroy, Boulder, Colorado
cmcilroy, Boulder, Colorado

Author's note:

The prompt for this story was to make a WW2 historical fiction based off an image from the time period.

It’s just another summer morning for Clark. The wind hissing through the trees and the sounds of Virginia farm folk hard at work in the field we so commonplace that to him it’s just silence. He stumbles into the kitchen and catches sight of his younger brother, Dan, arguing with his mother, Alice, through the window. Typical, Clark thinks to himself. He has grown to respect his mother less and less each day. It’s been a long time since either he or his brother had seen their mother greet them with a smile. She spends her days drinking, smoking, and gambling any money that she gets her hands on. Although she is not the one producing this cash, she demands her share from her hardworking sons almost daily. These brothers, however, have lived with this for a long time, and have become quite skilled at sneaking a portion of the money they make into a worn wooden slat below Clark's bed.

After recently turning 19, Clark is beyond eager to move out and make a living on his own, but he is very unsure of the path he wants to take. This goal will not come easy to Clark, as his 14-year-old brother needs a role model and guardian. With the absence of a father and a hopeless mother, he knows that it is his responsibility to make a childhood for Dan that he wasn’t able to experience himself.

Clark steps outside into the warm sunlight but this feeling starkly contrasts with the screeching of his mother demanding that Dan go out to buy cigarettes. Clark respectfully steps in, not to further anger his mother, and offers to do this task himself.

“It doesn’t matter who does it, just get me what I need,” Alice exclaimed loudly.

Clark walks a couple of miles down the trail into town that he took to school every morning growing up. Upon arriving at the general store, Pat, the man behind the counter sticks out his hand and welcomes Clark with a warm grin, “Just got some of the freshest apples you’ll bite into, Clark!”

“Maybe one or two, Pat, but I’m here for my mother,” Clark chuckled.

Without hesitation, Pat slides a pack of cigarettes across the counter.

“I hope she warms up to you one day,” Pat added while gathering change.

Clark exits the store and is met face-to-face with a war-torn-looking bear of a man. Clark steps to the side to allow and holds the store’s door open for him. The man stands still and looks Clark up and down. 

That's why, Clark thinks to himself as he notices the Army Recruiter badge and military cap.

Clark lifts his head and makes eye contact with the man, “After you, sir.”

The man smirks, “I like how you address me, boy. Have you ever thought of displaying that 

quality in the field?”

Keeping a straight face, Clark stood tall, “Sometimes I give it some thought, Sir.”

Without saying another word, the recruiter asks Clark for his information, “Let me gather your name and address.”

Clark hesitates but replies, “Clark Walsh, 802 Yowell Road, Ashland, Virginia.”

Alice is chainsmoking on the porch, Dan was put to work in the kitchen, and Clark was already out carrying a load on his back in the field. They had all recently heard of Germany’s attack on Poland, but Clark had forgotten all about the recruiter’s possible intentions. Clark, drenched in sweat and chugging down some lukewarm water caught a glimpse of a military Jeep waiting at the end of the farm trail. For a moment, Clark froze and remembered who this may be, but he kept steady and headed over to the Jeep with confidence. He was correct, it was the man, this time with a nametag that read his last name, ‘Carson.’

“I don’t think I’ve seen better work ethic out here in decades, boy,” Carson exclaimed while surveying the land.

Clark grinned, “You here to get me because of whatever the hell is going on in Europe right now?”

“Precisely. I’m looking for young men willing to help prepare for any possible future of conflict.”

Clark takes a moment to reflect and to look upon his home and fields.

“I’m willing, Sir, could you put me in the skies?” Clark questioned.

An excited Carson replies, “That’s what we like to hear, I’ll make sure you have a high priority in Air Force training.”

As the recruiter drives off, Clark takes his time walking back into his home to announce the news. He second-guesses his decision when he thinks of how Dan will take this. He is more than happy to finally leave his mother but Dan may not be ready to handle her all on his own.

Clark walks past his mother and  approaches Dan washing dishes, “I’m joining the Air Force.”

Clark expected Dan to be saddened and perhaps confused by this news but the only identifiable emotion he noticed was joy. He dropped the dishes and came into Clark’s arms.

“I’ve always wanted to do that too!” Dan shouted, “Don’t worry about me. Just go”.

“Keep your voice down”, Clark whispered, “I haven't told mother and I don't plan on it.”

“Good call, you’re 19, you don’t have to tell her nun’!”

` Clark and Dan fell asleep excited that night, hardly able to stop talking to one another about the endless optimistic possibilities of being a pilot.

The phone rang in the morning, it was Carson. Clark was lucky mother was out getting her own cigarettes or else she would’ve heard his plan.

“Clark Walsh, 19, Ashland, Virginia?”, the voice on the phone asked.

“That’s me”, Clark replied.

The man on the phone sounded as if he was flipping through a binder,  “I’ve got a couple of men coming to pick you up tomorrow morning, they’re taking you to Langley Air Force Base for basic training down by the coast for about eight weeks”

Eight weeks!? Clark was a little shocked but he soon came to his senses,

“See you there”, Clark nervously muttered before hanging up.

Clark finished his nightly tasks and tucked himself in his bed for the last time. As he drifted off to sleep, he was unsure whether to feel excited or fearful of what would come next. That morning Clark woke up extra early. He was careful to not wake Dan as he got dressed and finalized his packing. He was in the midst of bolting out of the front door when he realized he should probably get something to eat. Swiftly, Clark snatched one of Pat’s apples off from the fruit bowl and he was on his way. Two stoic men were outside standing in front of a Jeep with their hands clasping their rifles. Dan poked his head out of the front door and yelled one last thing to his brother,  “Make me proud!”

Clark stuck his fist out of the window and held it high. I will, he thought. 

After a long, silent drive out East, Clark spent the time setting his intentions straight in his head, he felt more confident than he ever had and was ready to take on a new challenge and chapter in his life. Clark was dropped off and put with a group of other young men just like him. They all matched the farm-boy profile, equipped with worn jeans and fingernails full of dirt. They had a couple of minutes to chat among themselves, but it wasn’t long before a man would call for their attention in a raspy, low-pitched voice.

“Attention, boys, I’m Commander Alvarez. You better listen up because I’m only saying this once. I expect to be addressed as Sir when I put out my command, and I expect that my command is your only priority when given.”

“Sir, yes sir!” Clark ecstatically yelled along with his other trainees.

Clark was fully immersed at this point in the training. He kept his head high and his drive even higher. He pushed himself daily to set himself apart from the crowd. 10-mile run? Clark was at the front. Parachuting out of a plane? Clark was out first. There was nothing he feared, not even Boone, a member of his squadron who made it his goal to become the most intimidating one among them in the field and off the field. Clark was a 5’10”, 170lbs  and looked like a child when standing next to this 6’5”, 230lb mass monster of a pilot.

Clark was focused on other things, however, not letting the big guy take his focus and attention away from his progress. A few other men, Todd, Kent, and Marshall all made their best efforts to be near Clark whenever he was around, treating him with as much respect as possible.  That day at lunch hall, Clark sat down by himself, with a sandwich labeled ‘fish’. He had no idea what he was eating but it was definitely better than his younger brother’s infamous catfish back home. Todd, Kent, and Marshall appeared from the hot food line and weaved their way through the sea of body odor and cigarette smoke to sit with Clark. 

Clark looked up, “Gentlemen.”

Kent replied with a wide grin, “You heard some of us are getting outta here?!

“What do you mean? Where?” Clark added.

“We overheard the commander discussing with our squadron leader,” Todd exclaimed, “The men who exceeded expectations will be offered an opportunity to be stationed at Pearl Harbor.”

“Hawaii!?”, Clark said, “There is nowhere else in the world where I’d feel more comfortable in the sky.”

While the men cheerfully finished their meals the commander's voice suddenly boomed from the speakers and the whole room went silent, “Attention, I hear some of you already knew so I best tell all of y’all right now. Many of you have demonstrated that you need a stronger challenge and somewhere to display what you’re fully capable of. That’s why I, along with some others,  have been studying the best of your abilities, what drives you, and the effect you have on your fellow squadron members to decide if you’re worthy of being stationed over at Pearl Harbor.”

These guys were actually telling the truth! Clark thought to himself.

“I would like these men to report to my office tomorrow morning by 6 AM, any later and you'll miss your chance: Mike Scheller, Marshall Glover, Blake Livingston, Ruben Gray, Clark Walsh, and Boone Levitz.”

The commander's voice disappeared from overhead and the room kept silent for a short while before erupting into celebration. All of the men whose names were called barely had time to say anything before a group of excited men lifted them over the crowd, to a table in the center of the room where they all stood. As the crowd cheered, the commander came storming in. Just as fast as they began celebrating the room when silent again. Hundreds of eyes gazed upon Commander Alvarez as he stood under the lunch hall’s threshold

He finally broke his silence, “Look men, I get it, but you better contain yourselves before you’re all sent straight to the coal rooms.”

As the men began filing out of the lunch hall, Clark took a moment to reflect. He wanted to travel and see the world, but this would mean he is distanced even further from Dan, who just had his birthday for the first time without Clark. However, he was thrilled to stay with Marshall. Marshall was a man with not much to say, but a heart of gold. The two men had become role models for one another just in these past few weeks and now with a future together, they were sure nothing would be able to topple their bond.

A sleepless night ensued for Clark. He was debating himself all night, feeling guilty to leave his home state of Virginia. Clark was still up by 5 AM. He got dressed, ate, and was left with just enough time to phone home and talk to his brother. Dan answered the phone,

“Did I wake you?” Clark asked.

“Yes, but so what? I haven’t talked to you in weeks!” Dan exclaimed, “What have you got for me this time?”

Clark hesitated for a moment, “The commander had decided to send me to Hawaii along with a handful of others.”

“I know exactly what you’re thinking, Clark. Stop worrying about me and follow your dream!” Dan exclaimed.

Clark replied, “But… Dan I - “.

He was cut off,

“Shush, just go and make sure to send a card”, Dan added, “See you soon.”

The phone hung up and Clark made his way to the commander's office. He and each one of the other men arrived a few minutes before the deadline.

Commander Alvarez chuckled, “Men, you have impressed me!”

He went on and on regarding the specifics behind their new responsibilities. One day until the plane would leave and take them to the West coast before another one would come and fly them to their final destination, Hawaii. 

Clark and Marshall kept together during the entire trip and seemed to be the only ones who recognized that this wasn’t going to be a vacation.

December 7th, 1941

“Over two years here, Clark,” Marshall said, “and I’ve yet to find any reason to leave.”

Clark chuckled, “I second that.”

The atmosphere of the islands were buzzing with joy this time of year, and it reflected greatly on the American troops. Clark and Marshall were loading rope to fasten some aircrafts. The sun was shining down on their backs and a cool breeze whistled through the carrier they were working on. 

“You thinkin’ of heading down to the living block with me after this? I’ve gotta grab some mail,” Marshall asked.

“Would be nice to catch a break!” Clark added.

The two headed through the bustling Pearl Harbor and down the coast for a short while. On their way, Edwin Layton, a United States Intelligence Officer greeted the two, 

“I heard about you boys from Virginia,” He exclaimed, “Let’s walk together, shall we?”

Clark accepted this offer as he was excited to be talking to such an important man. 

“I’ve only been telling the ones who would most definitely have good intentions with this information, but I’ve had an increasing concern of Japanese invasion”, Edwin whispered, “I was over there a couple of years ago. After the emperor shook my hand, he told me We will do anything to keep ourselves up.”

“Well, what are ya sayin’? Is this about the oil sanctions we placed upon them?” Clark asked.

Edwin hesitated, “Exactly, Walsh. I must go but I need you two to keep this information within strong boundaries.”

Clark and Marshall kept on their way down to the living block. Although they both recognized what Japan may do, they didn’t think anything of it. Just as Marshall turned the doorknob to his place, every dog around started barking. Eerie, Clark thought. It was only a few more seconds until both heard a hum tremble from the skies. Both men looked up to see dozens of plains crowded the horizon. Suddenly, a cloud of fire erupted from the harbor. It would take a second or two before the ear-shattering boom would follow.

Without speaking, the two men bolted together back towards the outskirts of the harbor while more and more explosions made their shocking presence. There were too many people fleeing the opposite way, forcing Clark to grab a desperate Marshall into the safety of a stairwell. 

“We’re too far, Marshall,” Clark yelled.

“I’ve got boys over there, and you do too!” Clark exclaimed before disappearing into the stampeding crowd.

For over two months it had been restless work on the islands. Thousands of casualties followed the attacks by Japan. Edwin was right, Clark thought. He and Marshall were suiting up for the States’ first offensive on Japan through the use of an aircraft carrier. The morale of the men had starkly contrasted during this time. The common chatter that radiated from the ship deck had ceased, only to be replaced by orders and boots stomping on the ground. 

“Just another day in the plane, Clark, this is what you do”, Marshall added to break the silence.

Clark stayed silent; this is the moment he had foreseen with Dan a couple of years ago. The squadron hopped in their cockpits and took off information. Clark was in the pilot’s seat and Marshall was back in the gunner. They were 300 miles off the coast of some of the Marshall Islands, where Japan held much of its military operations. Just a short, relaxing flight, Clark thought. 

The squadron gained sight of the island, and moments later anti-artillery shells would blast into the skies in response to their arrival. Clark began his dive. His mission was to drop a bomb right onto the bulk of the equipment and personnel. However, he felt hesitant to potentially end hundreds of lives just like his. He lifted his head up and remembered why he came here in the first place. 

“2000 feet,” Marshall yelled.

Clark kept his dive as noticed many of his companions being shot down around him.

“1000 feet.”

Just a little longer, Clark set his sights on his final target, dropped the bomb, and pulled up with hardly any time to spare. As the two blasted past the island along with the rest of the surviving squadron, they looked back on their triumphant efforts. Clark’s bomb destroyed the epicenter of their operations on the island. They headed back to their carrier with mixed emotions. The pair of men were unsure to feel proud or guilty about what they had just done. 

Upon arrival back to the carrier, Clark was met with dozens of men rushing his cockpit to pull him out and surf him along the reaches of the soldiers' arms and down into the eyes of the commander. 

“Son, that’s the sort of ass-kickin' that we are all about!”, he yelled to the crowd as he shook Clark’s shaky hand.

August 4th, 1945

A now 25-year-old Clark, after serving for years on the American offensive towards Japan, would finally be given the Distinguished Flying Cross along with a few other men who displayed heroic achievement in the skies. Clark’s name came through the speaker, calling him up to the stage.

“Listen I wouldn’t be here without Marshall, without him, I wouldn't have been able to fly in the first place. He was the one that made me feel most welcome back in our humble beginnings on the coasts of Richmond, and he’s the one who motivated me to keep a strong head on my shoulders before we first took off together.”, Clark proudly spoke. He felt complete, standing before his fellow soldiers, finally living the moment he would hope for years ago with his brother. After the ceremony ended, Clark and Marshall headed down to the coast for a drink. Just before exiting the harbor, Clark caught a glimpse of what appeared to be Dan in the crowd. Without saying a word to Marshall, Clark darted into the crowd. It was Dan. The two hugged and laughed at the sight of each other. 

“What are you doing here?”, Clark asked

“Well, I thought I’d show up to give you a little extra motivation.”

Clark was confused but then looked beside his brother, meeting the eyes of his Commander, Scott. 

“Clark we realize that your duty with us is closing up, but we need you for one more thing.”, Scott added, “We need you to accompany our pilot and drop the atomic bomb in two days' time on Hiroshima.”

Clark’s heart sank, but his head was telling him that this is what will define his place in history.

“Afterwards, we’d like you to join us in the occupation forces of Japan, as this will prove to be the mark of their unconditional surrender.”

“Sir, yes, Sir.”, Clark shouted.

The commander grinned and left the two. Marshall caught up and introduced himself to Dan, who was beyond excited to finally see Clark’s description of a ‘perfect sidekick’ in the sky. The three went to reflect and talk about what would soon commence.

Two days later Clark was up early, already leaning on the wing of the B-29 plane that they would use to drop the atomic bomb on when Paul Tibbets, the pilot came to greet Clark, commending him on all of his successful efforts in the war. This was it, Clark thought, we’re finally putting our foot down.

They took off a few hundred miles from the coast of Japan. As they neared Hiroshima, Clark knew that it was his responsibility to press that big red button. Without words, thoughts, or any hesitation, Clark dropped the bomb. He sat there with a blank face, unsure of how to feel while the rest of the crew onboard cheered. They landed back on the carrier. A few more days crawled by while they held their ground before a second bomb was dropped on Nagasaki. 

Japan had indeed surrendered, and Clark, accompanied by the rest of the occupation forces landed in mainland Japan, providing aid to those in need. Clark wandered the outskirts of Nagasaki with his team, where he would notice two Japanese children, trying to scoop the rest of the flesh from a mango. To Clark, he saw himself and his brother, Dan, in these two children. Although their problem was the absence of stable parental figures and not an atomic bomb decimating their friends and families, Clark felt connected to their desperation and approached the two, holding back tears, and spoon-fed them the last of his can of beans. The joy in the eyes of these two children seemed to flip a switch in Clark’s mind. He smiled, left the can, patted their heads, and went back with the group. He had fulfilled his destiny.