The Contract of Society | Teen Ink

The Contract of Society

By eyoo7912, Danville, California
eyoo7912, Danville, California

Author's note:

A short historical fiction narrative about The Enlightenment and the Industrial Revolution.

It was in the times of 1934 near the backsides of the lifeless, dim alleys of Stockton, New Jersey. The skies were starting to fill with the black smoke of the factories that started to take over. During these times, the development of a small organization under the name of John Locke, the leader of this organization, started to stir. This was a first. The uprising of an organization against the ideals of the current government, under the rule of Jean Jacques Rousseau.

“This is absurd! What type of government allows the people of their nation to be subjected to such labor and minimum pay!” Locke was pacing back and forth constantly. He had done this every day ever since he had gained followers of his ideal. “No one should be doing life risking labor for such small pay! People aren’t disposable like money.”

“Then what would you do?” asked a lanky man in the back corner.

“I’d of course do what any reasonable man would do. I’d allow for an equal pay in a better job. No one should be subjected to the idea of slavery, as that’s what this is!” By now, John Locke had turned as red as a tomato. He had been known to do this often, rampaging around in the room, pacing back and forth.

Every day, every week, Locke had gone through this routine. Call for a meeting, go to some sort of undisclosed location and just rant about the flaws in the current government. This would usually take place in the abandoned bar that had gone out of business. They’d sit in the back, and Locke would pace back and forth, sharing his thoughts of the government. Surprisingly, through these days of him pacing around, he had gained a mass number of followers. So much so, that it had caught the eye of Jean Jacques Rousseau himself.

~~~

“What is this?” Rousseau inquired.

“Sir, it is a small disruption in the state. A group under the leader of Locke,” the right-hand man of the governor stated. He handed Rousseau the newsletter with the title “Locke Starts to Speak!” The governor looked out through the window, staring into the distance after taking a furtive glance at the article.

“Well then, we must do something about it!” Rousseau turned around and glared at the man with the intent to murder at this point.

“Right sir, we’ll do what we can,” and with that, the man scurried off yelling orders left and right throughout the hall.

A few minutes later, the man came back panting and out of breath. “Everything is ready sir, we can depart at your command,”
“Good. We’ll do so immediately,” and with that, he stomped out of the room. “Someone get me some security. We must not risk anything with these brutes!”

~~~

“Wait. Do you hear that?” One man in the back, brawn and stubby stopped and pointed in the direction of the sound. In the distance of where the man was pointing, there was a quiet distinct sound. “It sounds like someone yelling. Specifically someone yelling commands!”

“Everyone, you know the drill!” and with that, the men dispersed. As if it were natural, the men pulled out their alcoholic beverages and sat down by the tables in the bar. As if it were staged, several knocks came from the front door.

“Open up! It’s the government!” This was followed up by a succession of laughs. Suddenly, the door burst open and in came a flood of government officers all armed with riot shields and ready for a rally. The only problem was, the men inside, were just drinking and having a good time.

“Hello boys!” John Locke raised his glass, gesturing them to come and take a seat. “Anything a problem?”

“Actually, yes there is. There have been plenty of articles on the uprising of YOU specifically.” Rousseau tossed down the newspaper so everyone at the bar could see clearly. At the top of the page printed “Locke Starts to Speak,” the same article that Rousseau’s right hand man had before they arrived. After further inspection Locke spoke up.

“You guys don’t need to worry about that, that’s no big deal,” and with that, he took a big gulp of alcohol straight from the bottle. “Now, would you guys like something to drink, cause if not, then I suggest you leave.”

“Actually, I suggest you come with us and then we can have a discussion of your great ideas on fixing the government.” Rousseau gestured towards his men and they started to step forward.

“Actually, why don’t we have a talk HERE about your so called ‘government’. Let’s first start off with the fact that you treat the people of poor as if they’re tools. Or maybe the fact that you don’t even think of what they have to go through. The labor of your dumb jobs and then minimal pay to try and survive. That is if they’re lucky enough to.” Rousseau casually sat back and pretended to listen to the rant.

“Are you done yet?” Rousseau put down a bottle of wine and stared at Locke.

“Are you mocking me?” Locke was infuriated. Infuriated that Rousseau had the guts to mock him in front of all his followers.

“Well, there may be those dangers of making and producing these small developments but it comes with so much more than you think.”

“And how so?” At this point Locke was at the tip of his chair, about to pounce on the governor.

“Well think about the development of our nation and state. We will be the top of all trade. We can become the tyrant of all states and nations.”

“What about the people at the bottom then? All these people working for their families just for the whole of the nation? When will they get what they deserve? You can’t just strip away the basic freedom of the people to help the rich get richer.”

“They will be dealt with in the end. Once we start to take off in industry we will be able to provide much more for the poor. They just need to help us get that pushing start.” Locke began to steam at this point.

“That’s easy for you to say! All you do is try to protect your reputation and get rich off of the labor of the poor. You’re not the one in the factories working for your poor families.”

“I find that a bit offensive, Locke. If you do remember I am the one who did say that those who believe they are greater than others, are actually a slave to incompetence and ignorance. If I were to believe I were greater than everyone else I’d be going against my word!”

“Don’t forget you’re also the one who said that people are born free until exposed to society. Don’t you want to fix that? You can help fix that by helping the poor.”

“It’s not as simple as it sounds” Rousseau sighed irritably. “You can’t just give and get everything you want. You wouldn’t understand. Once we start to soar and elevate in goods and profits then we can help them, but currently we can not do anything.” Locke stood up in anger.

“What do you mean we can not do anything. You mean you don’t want to do anything. You live in a mansion looking down on all the people that do your work for you. All you do is strip the rewards from the poor.” Rousseau sighed.

“If we can not have you see our way, then I believe we must take you with us. We can not have a lunatic spreading false rumours and ideas about the government.” With that, Rousseau stood up and turned around. “Bring him with us.” Before making it out of the door, a glass bottle flew across the room and shattered over Rousseau’s head. Everyone’s head turned to look at a fisny looking man, with one eye drooped down further than the other, a misaligned nose, and a smirk across his face.

“Hey you! You’re coming with us too!” Shouted a security guard, but before everyone knew what was happening, the bar erupted into battle cries. Bottles flew high and far, raining upon Rousseau and his guards. Before too much damage was done, the guards got their composure, fully extended their rally shields and formed a wall in front of Rousseau.

“We’ll wait them out,” Rousseau casual spoke while a medic was helping him treat his recent wound. It wasn’t too big, just a gash at the back of his head. “We can arrest them both, one for assault, and the other for starting an uprise against the government. I knew we should have brought weapons. I honestly thought they would’ve been a bit more civil. But then again, they’re starting a revolution against the government so I should’ve expected them to be the vile creatures they are. Actually, I don’t have any patience for this. Everyone move up!” The guards slowly but surely pressed forward through all the bottles of alcohol. Every step they took, the followers backed up. “If we back them up enough, they should run out of things to throw. That’s when we’ll take the two.” Sure enough, as time passed, the group grew tired, and were running out of ammunition to throw. They were feeling the effects from the alcohol and most of them were out cold. “Grab them and let’s go.” Rousseau walked out the door and the guards grabbed the two men and dragged them out the door.

~~~

“What? Where am I?” Locke propped himself up and looked around the dark, lifeless cell.

“You’re in custody.” Rousseau was sat on the other side of the bars sitting in a chair. “And you’ll stay there for a while. About 20 years. Maybe by then you’ll see the development in the state and understand the reason as to why I did this.” Rousseau got up, scanned his ID and walked out of the prison.

~~~

Locke looked outside his window into the sunrise. He took a glance at the room around him. It feels good to be here. He thought. “Sir, how may I help you?”

“There’s nothing I need right now, but thank you.” 33 years after the incident, and now look where I am. In the same place as him. Locke indeed was in Rousseau’s place after Rousseau had passed due to an accident. The only difference was he made a few changes in the government. Something he liked to call, the Social Contract Theory.