Chosen | Teen Ink

Chosen

By writerchik_123 BRONZE, miramar, Florida
writerchik_123 BRONZE, Miramar, Florida

When you can live forever what do you live for?

-Edward Cullen

Author's note: This is kind of like my version of the old T.V show W.I.T.C.H just a little bit different.......kinds like it was inspired by that show...

This is only the like beginning. Each chapter will have two different perspectives or just one. Depending on me.

Riley looked at herself in the mirror one last time. The little punk rocker looked was kind good for her. She looked like Avril Lavigne. With the pink streaks in her straight brown hair and her dark eyeliner around her green eyes. If she was blonde they could pass as twins. The only reason she dressed like this was to get her parents attention. Of course they barely noticed. She could get a tattoo on her forehead that said she hated her parents and they wouldn’t even blink. She had actually thought about it. That’s the only reason she does anything bad around here. To be honest it’s more of a punishment for her parents. She wants to embarrass them so they can see that the nonsense they’ve been fighting about is utterly ridiculous and they should start paying attention to her then themselves. Of course they don’t so Riley keeps on with her sneaking out after curfew and not paying attention to anything they say. If they would just pay attention for a second they could maybe realize that things have been strange in her life. Unexplainable things like when her parents were having a dinner party and they had candles all over the house. Whenever Riley stepped into the room the flames grew higher and straighter. Like Troops after the General steps into the room. Or how when she’s upset the candles in her room dim, or when she’s angry they burst to the point where Riley has to blow them out before they burn her room. She got out the door not bothering to say goodbye to anyone. Why bother if no one would say anything back? She grabbed her skate board and rode to school blasting Paramour new album.

-----------------------------------------
Juliet dived into the refreshing water and motored around the pool. Juliet was a rather athletic even though she didn’t really look like it. She wasn’t very tall but she definitely had some muscles. She was very thin and often seen as petite as far as height and weight. She had a nice California surfer tan and wavy dark brown hair with some natural blonde highlights. Her eyes were a startling blue. They were so bright, you just couldn’t miss them. She was on her schools swim team and has won quite a few medals and even a trophy. She was co-captain on her team and with a little more practice she could be faster than the captain Haley. After a while Juliet rested and floated on her back. She ran her hands over the water. Ever so slowly she started to lift her hand up. Before Juliet could realize what was happening the water under her hand was rising. It came right behind her hand as if they were playing follow the leader. When Juliet noticed she quickly dropped her hand and as soon as she did the water dropped as well, and landed on her stomach with a light thud. Juliet stood up and looked around. No one was there. Then again, who would be at their community pool as five in the morning practicing laps? Juliet quickly got out of the water and hurried home to shower. She tried burying the memory out of her head, but it just kept replaying like a broken record. She wasn’t sure what it was and she didn’t want to know either.

-------------------------------------------------------
Elena and Alex both said bye to Elena’s mom as they walked towards the school building. Elena and Alex had been best friends since kindergarten. In many ways they were the same. They both loved pizza, the color purple, Justin Bieber. But they were very different as well. Alex is a very straightforward person. She will tell you as it is. She’s also very outgoing and loud, kind of blunt too. She’s not the kind to lie about things to make her look cool. Either you like her or you don’t. She can come across as mean sometimes, but she can’t really help it. That’s just the way she is. Elena on the other hand is a little bit more shy and into herself. But there are times when she can be just as loud as Alex. She can come across as Ms. Goody two shoes sometimes because she never does anything bad. She is genuinely sweet and tries to be nice to everyone. Even the people that are mean to her. As far as looks they are pretty different then you would think. Alex has tight curly brown hair. She is kind of a light brown and has startling green eyes. Elena on the other hand has pin straight brown hair with some blonde natural highlights. Her eyes are more of a robin’s egg blue. She has a slight tan, but not as nearly as dark as Alex. She is also about an inch taller than Alex. Anyways, they both walked together arm in arm to the school entrance saying high to their fellow classmates. Oh did I forget to mention they were fairly popular amongst their peers? No it’s not in that snotty way were they make fun of everyone and push everyone around like there famous. Everybody just knows them and their friends with everyone. Just as they were about to walk through the door two other girl named Juliet and Riley both reached for it as well. “Sorry, my fault.” They all said at the same time. The smiled and giggled, but went their separate ways. They never thought anything of it. But that was the begging of something bigger. It was only a matter of time before they would find out.

Riley stuffed her hands into the pockets of her faded black jeans. She had just gotten to school and already she was bored and tired. She thought about skipping, but it was no fun when no one was with her. So she headed to her first period, History. That was just not a way to start the day. She sat down at the far end of the classroom watching everyone come in. As soon as the bell rang everyone ran to their seats. She noticed out of the corner of her eye Elena and Alex sitting beside each other. The best friends and most popular girls of our grade. Everyone adored them and tried to be friends with them. Why? She had no idea but she had no intention of doing so. Our teacher Ms. Rivera wrote down “End of year project”. Everyone groaned. Ms.Rivera just ignored it and said, “In this Project you will group up and together you will make a constitution for your made up country. I shall be picking the groups.” Everyone groaned again. In the corner of my eye I saw Elena and Alex hold hands underneath the table as if to say it would take a chainsaw to split them apart. After she called the first two groups I finally heard my name. “Riley Sanchez, Juliet Rivers, Alexandra Mendez, and Elena Garcia.” I slumped in my chair. Of course I got paired up with them. Just my luck. I saw a couple girls give me the evil eye and I shot them a look back saying, ‘I don’t like this just as much as you do.’ When I looked over at Juliet the jock she didn’t seem very comftorable either. After she finished calling the groups she told us that for the rest of the class period we would split up into our groups and start working on it. I sighed got up and headed over to Juliet. She stood to and we both walked over to where Alex and Elena were sitting. Elena smiled and Alex attempted one. “Hi guys. Okay so I say we get this over with as fast as possible.” Elena said. Juliet nodded agreeing. Elena looked at me. I sighed and said, “Well I kinda like doing things at last minute, but I guess this could work too.” She smiled and looked at Alex. Alex just nodded and went back to wondering off into space. “M’kay so let’s start now and then we can work out on what day is free for everyone.” So we worked on the project with Alex zoning in and out of space. At the last five minutes Elena stopped us so we could work out the schedule. “Okay so Juliet what days are you free?” Juliet answered almost immediately. “Mondays, Tuesday’s, and Friday’s.” Elena nodded and turned to me. “Every day of the week.” Elena smiled and then said, “Both me and Alex are free every day except Wednesdays and Sundays.” Alex nodded and went back to her lala land. “Okay next order of business. Where do we meet?” Elena asked. Juliet spoke up and said, “We could meet up at my house. My parents won’t mind.” Elena nodded. “Okay lest exchange phone numbers, and emails. Oh and Juliet exchange your address. Can we meet up tomorrow?” She nodded and wrote it three times for each of us. We all quickly exchanged phone number and emails just as the bell rang. “Hey Elena.” She looked up waiting for me to continue. “You are the most organized human being I have ever met, and I say that in the nicest way possible.” She smiled and thanked me while heading out the door with Alex who faked a smile at me. I didn’t try to put one on back. No way was Riley going to smile at her. When you smile at someone it’s showing that you recognize them and you saying hello or goodbye. If she wasn’t going to mean it why should I plaster on a fake one back? I grabbed my bag and headed outside to go to the next torturous class.

Juliet sat next to Elena. She figured that she since they were going to work on this project together they should at least get to know each other or hang out. The only thing that made it a little bit more difficult was that the girl Riley was in there group. Not that she had anything against her, but she seemed a little bit intimidating. Like a young version of Avril Lavinge. She even had a fake piercing in her nose. Well at least she assumed it was fake. She wasn’t exactly sure, but she thought she saw her slip it off once in the girls bathroom. Anyways as she sat next to Elena she noticed that Elena was drawing something in her notebook. It looked like a picture of her being swept up by the wind. She sighed and noticed Juliet watching and quickly closed the notebook. “Sorry. I didn’t mean too.” Juliet said quickly. Elena smiled slightly saying, “Don’t worry about it. Not your fault.” She said blushing a deep red. The bell rang and there Drama teacher was nowhere to be seen. A couple seconds later an unfamiliar teacher came into the class. “Hi guys. Listen Ms.Kaplan was very sick and had to go home early. She didn’t give me any specific instructions so just do what you normally do.” Even Juliet knew she had said the wrong thing. Everyone started to chat amongst themselves. “So how do you like our group project so far?” Elena asked Juliet smiling. They talked for a little while about our opinions on how the country should be. “So how do you like the people on our group?” Riley asked carefully. Elena was known as the nicest girl in school. She never talked behind people backs. But she knew there could be no way that she was just happy about getting stuck with her a Riley. “I like it. You and Riley seem to be pretty cool.” She nodded to herself. “Really? Your okay with having Riley?” Juliet asked. She didn’t want to sound mean, but Juliet really wanted to know how she really felt. “Why wouldn’t I be? I mean sure Riley is a little different than the rest of us, but that doesn’t mean she’s not the same on the inside.” She sounded so humble. It made Juliet feel guilty for trying to get her to talk bad about Riley. “Sorry, it’s just your so nice. I guess I was trying to test it.” Juliet laughed. “Trust me I’m not always so nice.” Juliet said with a sly smile. They continued talking drifting slowly through different subjects until the bell rang. “So I’ll see you tomorrow?” Juliet asked. Elena nodded and smiled saying, “Definitely.” She watched Elena walk out to the hallway waiting for Alex. She wished she had a best friend. Not that she’s never had one before because she has. But unfortunately she moved away in seventh grade leaving Juliet alone. She missed her like crazy and hasn’t talked to her for months now. Juliet roamed the halls alone and was about to get a drink of water from the water fountain. But then she remembered what happened this morning and jumped back almost crashing into one of the seniors. She would try to stay away from it as much as possible. That would e extremely difficult but she had to try. She walked off quickly to her next class shaking off the thought of what happened that morning.
Alex watched as the girls around her breathed heavily. She was perfectly fine after running two laps. There P.E coach agreed that they all deserved a free day. Alex sat on the grass breathing in the fresh air. She intertwined her hands into the grass loving its soft feel. She would love to walk around bare foot but she knew people would give her weird looks. She noticed the grass looking a little greener than usual. The flower had a little bit more color. Even the dead grass seemed to be regaining some color. She ignored it and got up reluctantly to go walk with some of the girls that kept begging for her attention. She didn’t get the chance to talk much. Mostly the girls talked to her. They were about to get into some serious gossip, but before they could Alex stopped them by saying, “No-no. If you’re going to talk about gossip then I don’t want to be a part of this little group. They quickly changed the subject. The girls droned on and on about their lives. Alex thought she was about to die when she saw Riley across the field reading. She decided this would be the best time to make an escape. “Excuse me ladies.” Alex said walking towards Riley. When she stopped in front of her she saw the book was that Percy Jackson series her little sister was obsessed with. Riley raised her head and then an eyebrow. “Can I help you?” She asked Alex. “Well hello to you too.” Riley sighed. “Well then hello there Ms. Alice in Wonderland.” She said turning her attention towards her by setting the book down. Alex smiled. “Yeah I tend to zone out when Elena goes into her work mode.” Riley laughed. Alex sat next to her. They talked for a few minutes and surprisingly there were no awkward silences. They got along a lot easier then Alex would have ever guessed. When the coach blew the whistle they both headed back together laughing at each other’s stories all the way to the locker room. After the bell rang, just as the girls were about to go their separate ways Riley said, “See you tomorrow.” In spite of herself Alex smiled too. “Yeah. I can’t wait for tomorrow.” And it was true.

Novelist said...
Hey, I really like this, but who is the "I" in chapter two? It keeps on swithcing and I just wasn't sure who was the "I".

Marina_V.S. BRONZE, Weybridge, Random Island, Other

Ah, I'm one of those weird people who goes through their note books just to read the quotes, so finding a fav is hard for me... 'There is no pleasure in having nothing to do; the fun is in having lots to do and not doing it' - Mary Little ;)

Hello, I've just finished the first chapter :) It's good, and I like the characters, but there are a few points were your writting needs work.

There are some parts where it's like you're typing too fast, or maybe because you keep changing the sentence, and the words are getting jumbled. Somtimes it gets confusing, and I have to reread the sentence to try and figure out what you meant to say. I think the first time is actually in the second sentence '...rocker looked was kind good...'. Maybe this problem is fixed in coming chapters, but I suggest you try reading over you're writting after you've finished, so you have a chance to correct.

The only other thing is: paragraphs. Because you don't start new paragraphs, it can become confusing as to what or who you're talking about (like the part when you were describing Elena and Alex), and I think it could be easily fixed by starting a new paragraph when the immediate topic changes.