Love Letter Bouqet | Teen Ink

Love Letter Bouqet

November 22, 2022
By grand_squidge, York, Pennsylvania
More by this author
grand_squidge, York, Pennsylvania
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
“The important thing is not the object of love, but the emotion itself.”


Author's note:

I love Mondo x Taka but I also wish there were more wlw fanfics out there, this is what was born from that

Momoka never liked Valentine's Day. All the hearts and cutesy sh*t reminded her that she’d probably never get to have something like everyone else did.

Which, by extension, meant she hated White Day just as much.


Which is why she was looking down at the ground when her and Leiko were going to their lockers. It was also why when a piece of paper and a flower fell out of her locker when she opened it, she felt more confused than she ever was in class.


“Ooo, did you get something?” Leiko asked, sass in her voice. Momoka rolled her eyes and picked up the paper and flower. The flower was a pink camellia and in good shape. Leiko put her arm on Momoka’s shoulder and craned her neck to see the paper. “C’mon, c’mon, read it!” She smiled. Momoka adjusted the paper so it was easier to see for both of them.

 

I know today is a day to reciprocate the gifts given before,  but you being here is already enough of a gift for me. 

 

Momoka’s face turned beet red. Not only was it super sappy (which Momoka would never admit she was a sucker for), but the flower was really pretty(Momoka liked that too). 


Leiko laughed next to her, “Hot damn! Is this really what it takes to get Momoka Owada to blush?” Momoka’s head snapped to the redhead. Now, Momoka wouldn’t say she was angry, but she hadn’t ever had someone even maybe do something like this for her. So she might’ve not had her guard up as high as it usually was.


“Kuwata, shut the hell up.” She growled. It wasn’t her worse, but it always got Leiko to back off. The offending girl put her hands up in mock defense, “Alright, Alright. Seriously though, I wonder who it is.”


Leiko looked around while Momoka kept her eyes on the paper, still in a small state of shock. “You and Toru are friends, right?” Momoka nodded slowly, confused by her question. “Hey, Toru! Come see what Momo got!” Momoka looked up at Leiko, and then behind them. Toru looked weirded out, but was walking towards them anyway.


When he got there, he looked down at Momoka’s hands and quirked an eyebrow, “Wh-what’s that? Is that a camellia?” Leiko snickered and Momoka glared at her. “Yeah. Opened my locker and this stuff fell out.” Momoka said. Toru took a glance at the paper and smirked. “Who-who would w-want to give s-something like this to you?”


Leiko attempted to hold back a laugh but failed miserably. “HEY! THE F*CK YOU LAUGHIN FOR!” Momoka yelled, grabbing Leiko by her shirt. Toru was a bit worried that Leiko was about to get her head bashed in, until he heard the clacking of boots.


“Shisuta, what is going on here!” By that point, Kiyomi was right next to the trio, who all looked at the hall monitor. “Oh, hey, Kiyo!” Momoka smiled, dropping Leiko instantly. The baseball player adjusted her shirt and backed away, closer to Toru.

 


“Don’t ‘hey’ me, Momoka! Why were you grabbing Leiko?” Kiyomi furrowed her eyebrows, her red eyes burning into the biker girl’s soul. Momoka stuffed her hands in her pockets and looked down at her feet, her hair dropping down into her face. 


“Sorry, Kiyo.  I got pissed cuz she was laughin’ at me.” Kiyomi shook her head lightly and pulled out a detention slip. “I understand, but you still need to keep control of your anger.” When she gave the slip to Momoka, she turned to Leiko and crossed her arms. “And why were you laughing at her, Kuwata?” 


Leiko laughed nervously. She knew that if she told Kiyomi, her chances of getting out of this alive would be promptly stomped by Momoka (this was punctuated by said biker’s death glare).


But that was until Toru stuttered out a response for her. “Y-your ‘sh-shisuta’ got a l-love letter.”


Kiyomi's eyes widened and her face was overtaken by a pink blush. “A-ah! I see.” She said.  The hall monitor started writing another detention slip, this time for Leiko. Handing it to the redhead, she tried her best to regain her stern face. “You and Momo have the same time, so I expect you to behave!”


Momoka and Leiko nodded. Kiyomia bowed at them and then walked away, her ponytail swishing behind her. As she left, Toru said that he needed to go to the library. Leiko looked at Momoka and smirked, “You should try and find out who it is. Maybe you’ll actually get some dick. Or pussy. That’s always an option.”


Leiko shot out a short comment about needing to go to practice, and ran off. Momoka looked at the paper and flower still in her hand. There was a chance this was a joke. There was a chance whoever this was wouldn’t be able to handle Momoka. 


But there was also a chance that this someone was genuine. That they wouldn't care if Momoka had an outburst, or, god forbid, she told them about the accident. 


That shouldn’t have been enough for Momoka to make a decision, the risks most definitely outweigh the rewards. But she was, for some reason, hopeful. It was probably really stupid, and she’d probably regret it later, but she wanted to find out who did this. 


After all, they had to have already hung out with her a bunch if just her being there was a gift.

It had been a week since she had gotten the note and flower from her admirer. Through that time, she had learned that word spreads fast. The only time she was fully safe from people bombarding her with questions was when she was in her dorm. Being around Kiyomi also helped, but not everyone was affected by the hall monitor glaring at them.

 

She was at lunch with Leiko, Kiyomi, Yumeko, and Chikahira. “C’mon, Momo-chan! I’ll even give you a discount!” Yumeko, ever since she had caught wind of the admirer, had continually insisted on giving Momoka a reading.


“Yumeko, I really don’t think she’s interested.” Chikahira giggled, a nervous grin on his face. Leiko probably would’ve made a comment too, but she was too busy trying not to laugh. 


“Y’know what? I’ll do it for free. But only this one time!” Yumeko said, an almost pleading look on her face. Momoka sighed, ‘Maybe if I do it, she’ll finally shut up.’ she thought.


“Fine. Go ahead. As long as you stop botherin’ me about it after.” This made Yumeko grin and pull out a deck of cards from inside her jacket. Next to 

Momoka, Kiyomi leaned over and put her hand under her chin. As she scooted closer, Momoka put an arm around her shoulder.


“Alright, what do you want me to ask?” Yumko asked.

“Oh, uh, I guess how this admirer thing’s gonna go.” As Momoka spoke, she felt Kiyomi tense up next to her. 


Yumeko nodded. After a bit of shuffling, she spread them out in a fan. “Alright. Now pick three and put them in front of you, left to right.” Momoka did so, looking at Yumeko with a raised eyebrow.


After the cards were pulled, Yumeko organized the rest into a deck again and placed them down. “Let’s see what you’ve got, Momo-chan.” The clairvoyant flipped over all three cards and rgot up to stand next to Momoka.


“So?” Momoka asked, tone impatient, “The hell does it mean?”


Yumeko thought for a bit then answered, “Your admirer is closer than you think. You’ll also have opportunities to have some unlikely allies, and you should take them.” 


The others at the table all stayed silent while Yumeko took the three cards and put them back with the others. “So I probably know them and some randos are gonna help me. Alright, got it.” 


Yumeko laughed and grinned, “If you wanna put it like that, then yeah!” Chikahira and Leiko laughed along as well. Well…


Except for Kiyomi.


Momoka noticed and furrowed her eyebrows. Usually, her best friend would have the loudest laugh at the table (which usually led to Momoka glaring at anyone who looked at her weird). But now she was quiet. When Momoka looked close at her eyes, she saw that Kiyomi looked scared.


“Sooo,” Yumeko started again, “Do you think you might pay next time if this prediction is accurate?”


“Did you just say if?”

“H-Hey. How’s that admi-admirer thing going?”


Momoka looked at Toru as they walked to her locker. “About as good as it was when I got that note.” 


Toru hummed, “I wo-wonder if you’ll g-get another one.” 


“Ha, yeah.” Momoka said, stopping in front of her locker. After she opened it she reached in for her cigarette pack, but felt a piece of paper and a flower on top of it. Taking out all three of the items, she looked at Toru. 


“Well? A-Aren't you g-going to r-read it?” The writer asked. Momoka nodded. Putting her cigarette pack into the pocket in her skirt and unfolded the paper.


I’ve heard that you received my last note. Some even say that you were a bit red in the face! But that’s probably all just gossip, I’m sure. 


I’ve also heard that Hagakure gave you a ‘tarot’ reading. Quite strange how someone with a 1/3 accuracy can ask for such high prices! Well, I guess you’re lucky you got that small chance of accuracy, and for free!


Momoka gripped the paper in her hands. ‘Got that small chance of accuracy? The hell does that mean? Was Yumeko right or something?’ She thought. Momoka went to look at the flower, but noticed it was gone.


“D-Do you think they’re ch-choosing flowers based on meaning?” Toru asked, holding the flower in his hand. It had a long stem and white flowers hanging off of it like bells.


Momoka shrugged. When she got the first note she wasn’t too focused on the flower, more so the idea anyone would like her. But now that she thought about it, she wouldn’t put it past someone who was so down bad they wrote love letters.


“Well, I-I think they mi-might be. You want me to try and see if these might mean anything?” Toru suggested, his eyes clear with curiosity.  Momoka looked at him and nodded.


“Yeah. It might, uh, help me with figuring some sh*t out about this whole thing.” Toru nodded and gave the flower back to Momoka. As Momoka put both the items into her skirt pocket, Toru spoke.


“H-Hey, d-d-do you wanna hangout to-today? Maybe I could go over to your house?” He asked. When Momoka looked at him, she didn’t think she could say no to him. Not when he looked at her like he did.


She let out a small giggle, “Sure, dude. Just wait for me after school, Yeah? You can ride with me on my bike.”


Toru quickly nodded before sneezing. When he looked up again his glasses were askew and his abnormally long tongue was out on display. “Oh, Hi Momo! What were you and Mr. Moody talking about? Were you talking about something dirty?” The boy asked, getting so close to Momoka that she thought she could see flecks of red in his eyes.


Momoka backed away from Sho, “Oh, uh, just talkin’ about hangin’ out today.”


Sho smiled and fixed his glasses.  “You can admit you just wanna see me, don’t worry, I won’t tell Toru~”


“Nah, but I think that you really wish that were true.” Momoka said, grabbing her backpack from her still open locker and closing it. “Besides, I’m on my way to class. So I’ll see you or Toru later, yeah?”


The boy laughed and nodded. “Yeah, don’t worry, you’ll see us!”



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.