Washed Up | Teen Ink

Washed Up

By Kalushar, No, Florida
Kalushar, No, Florida

Author's note:

note: I own no right to Pokémon. It is owned by Game Freak. This story gives my no monetary gain. This is a Nuzlocke story meaning Pokémon can die and not just K.O’d.

Thanks for reading hope you enjoyed.

Chapter I

I sat on the deck of the boat reading a book about Pokémon. I flipped the book a few pages and at the top of the page was a picture of a Doduo that detailed its anatomy and lower on the page it documented its behavior and habitats. I'd always dreamed of being a Pokémon trainer, but when my mother died I chose instead to help my father Erin on his fishing boat. We were a good team him and I. I reached into my pocket and pulled out an old cartridge that said Pokémon Emerald. When I was a kid I always wanted to be a real Pokémon trainer. But, I was born in the wrong world there are no such thing as Pokémon. The world is a cruel place and I'm just moving through it. Although I do still enjoy playing Pokémon and reading about had always been a coping mechanism for me, but, life isn't just a game where you run around and fight Team Rocket. I've been working on the F.V Relicanth for 5 Years since I was 10. "Hey Felix, come look at this." I stood and walked over to the side of the boat where dad stood and looked overs. A small metal tube was floating in the water next to other pieces of wreckage. A small piece was emblazoned with the letters R and V the rest however had long since burned away. "It's a research vessel," my dad assessed as he pulled the small tube out of the water. "Poor fellows. This wreckage is old. No telling how long it's been out here."

"Shouldn't we look for survivors?"

"Wouldn't matter. This wreckage looks like it drifted from who knows where. Whoever's boat it was that sunk it's not around here."

I only nodded sadly for the sunken ship and looked over at my dad and the tube in his hands. "What's up with the tube," I asked.

"No idea. It looks like some sort of electronic device. Maybe it was a buoy or some sort of sonar device. But if it is it's not like any one I've ever seen."

"Well what do we do with it?"

Dad looked down at it and smiled, "Well your birthdays this weekend and I suppose this could be an early gift. That is if you want it?" I looked down at the tube as he held it out to me "of course thanks dad!" The tube was about a foot long and made out of steel on the top was a blue button and on the side was writing and a small display screen with a small keypad. The text read: Celestial Labs. Warning: the following device is not to be used until further testing is done regarding its full capabilities. Cool I thought I'd found some sort of experimental research device. I regarded the small keypad on the side and it's screen. Jokingly I typed Pokémon into the screen and of course nothing happened. I stood and looked at the sky. A storm was rolling in and my dad had just started to turn around. I could tell it would be a bad storm. After about 10 minutes the storm really hit and the boat got struck by lightning. The engine was fried but we still had a small motorboat that dad was able to put out and hop into right before a wave hit the boat and pushed him away. I was alone on the boat and embarrassingly despite these last 5 Years I couldn't swim. All I had with me was the small tube and I rapidly hit the button hoping it to be a beacon or tracking device of some sort. It whirred and put off a huge flash of light right before I was knocked off my feet and knocked out cold.

Chapter II

I woke to the sound of snoring. I looked over and their passed out in a chair was one of my best friends and roommates. "Oscar wake up," I said and threw a pillow at him. He jumped and fell out of the chair. I just got out of bed and helped him up. "Come on Oscar, we gotta get to work." He just looked at me tiredly and rubbed his eyes. "Can't we get our work done later?" I sighed, "no. Archie and Zina are already left to go grocery shopping. Plus I think I can smell Kell making breakfast."Oscar jumped up and ran from the room into the kitchen. "Well why didn't you just say so Jack!"

In the kitchen was another one of my friends and roommates, Kell. She was a normal orange Charmander with green eyes and a love for cooking. "What took you guys so long? I made Oran berry pancakes." Oscar didn't even sit down before he tore into the pancakes and shoveled them into his snout. "You greedy Tododile! At least get a plate!" I just sat down at the table and started to eat my pancakes. "So," I asked. "What's on the agenda for today?" Kell smiled and said, "well you too are going to be gathering some Qualot berries so we can sell them at the fair this weekend. You should be able to find some by the beach." We finished up our breakfast and I grabbed my vest and put it on and Oscar put on his fingerless gloves.

We left the house and strolled through the market in the center of town. "Hey," someone called out. I looked over my shoulder and saw a Beedrill waving at me from a booth selling honey. "Hey Zane, how you doing?" I hopped up on the counter and stuck out my paw to shake his drill. We shook and he said, "Good! And how's my favorite Pacharisu doing?" I smiled, "good. So, are you ready for the fair this weekend?"

"Oh yes I can't wait to sell my honey to all the shoppers from other towns. Are you going to be there?"

"Yes, were all coming to the fair."

"Grand! Well it looks like I have a customer So farewell."

Zane motioned behind me and I turned around. It was Brin the Wartortle. "Ha, it's my good friends Jack and Oscar. So then boys how are we today," he said sarcastically. Of every Pokémon I'd met Brin was the meanest. And I'd even once met a Sharpedo! "Fine. We were just leaving," Oscar said. We walked off towards the beach and behind me I heard him call out, "don't worry boys I'm sure we'll see each other again soon enough."

We walked the beach looking for the berries and talked and after about 20 minutes we found a couple of Oran berries, some shells, and a heart scale. Then we walked past a large boulder and saw it. A boat had been caught in some rocks on the beach and had been ripped in half. The upper half was lodged in the rocks and pointed at the sky at an angle and the back end of the boat had been broken into pieces and were washed up on the beach. "Woah," Oscar said in awe. "Somebody's boat crashed!"

"Yeah, some fisherman's boat must of wrecked I hope he's okay."

"You don't think it was a trainers boat?"

I looked at him and shrugged, "we should check it out." We walked up to the rocks and climbed up onto the boat. The deck was cracked and creaked but held as we walked up it to the small stairs that led down into the boat. The roof that covered the front of the boat and the steering area had broken off and everything there was gone leaving only the stairs were left to be investigated. I walked down the stairs and found a single room in disarray. Cabinets adorning the walls had their doors ripped off the hinges, pipes on the wall leaked water, and a small group of chairs and a table had flipped over. "Hey check this out," Oscar said excitedly. I looked over and he was pointing to something in the corner above a group of crates that were covered with a tarp was a white box with a Red Cross on it mounted to the wall. "It's a first aid kit! You think we could sell it at the fair? Some medicines are hard to some by on the island."

"I suppose it's possible. If their still in their," I responded.

I ran over to the tarp covered boxes and jumped on top of them then reached up for the box. I had just got my paw on it and pulled it down when the boxes came out from under me. I slipped and Oscar caught me. The first aid kit fell to the floor in front of what I thought had been boxes. Instead I was greeted by a terrifying sight. Standing in front of the first aid kit was a teenage human boy holding a small metal canister. I yelled run and took off. Oscar grabbed the first aid kit and tried to follow when he heard the boy yell out in surprise as he saw us. I ran up the stairs, over the deck, down the rocks, and across the beach. Oscar followed behind me but tripped and started to fall off the rocks when a hand flew out and grabbed him by the tail right before he fell. The boy pulled Oscar back up as I turned and ran back just in time to hear him speak. "Are you all right?" Oscar nodded and said, "yes I'm okay." A look of shock crossed his face. It was obvious he hadn't expected an actual response. I jumped up onto the rocks a few feet away and examined the boy. He wasn't trying to hurt or catch Oscar, he just sat next to him. "You don't have to be afraid," the boy said while motioning to me. "I won't hurt you." I slowly approached him until I was a foot away and out of his pocket he pulled a pack of crackers. He handed me one and gave one to Oscar before eating the last one himself. "What are you doing here," I asked. "Our boat got caught in a storm my dad got out in a lifeboat, but I didn't. Also am I dreaming or hallucinating or something?" I looked weirdly at him and said, "no your not. Why?"

"Because you can't be real! Pokémon aren't real!"

"Well what am I then?"

"I-I don't know."

He perked up and looked down at the small tube he still held in his arm. "This thing brought me here. I put in the word Pokémon and it brought me here." He looked down at and rotated it around. "No no no no! The keyboards not working! This thing must be out of juice or something. I can't get home." I looked at him and said, "well you can't stay here! If any of the other Pokémon learned about you who knows what they'd do!" Oscar looked sadly up at him, "oh come on he needs our help! We have to help him!" I groaned, "no." Oscar looked at him and said, "he saved me from going over those rocks! He saved my life!" I ground my teeth, "fine. But, if we get caught it was your idea!" Oscar jumped up and so did the boy. "So what's your name? I'm Oscar and he's Jack." The boy smiled down at him. "My names Felix. It's nice to meet you guys."

Chapter III

I walked along behind Oscar and Jack talking while we walked. "So where are we going?"

"Home," Oscar said. "We're taking you to our house."

"What!" Jack looked frustratedly at Oscar. "We can't take him to the house! He'll be found for sure!"

"Nope," Oscar promised. "I've got it all figured out. We'll hide him in the cellar." Jack just scrunched his face then he just sighed, "forget it. Just keep him away from the others." I just walked on silently for a while before I broke the silence again. "So… others?" Oscar smiled and said, "yep. We've got four other roommates."

"Well uh… if you don't mind me asking what Pokémon are they," I asked.

"An Abra named Zina, an Archen named Archie, a Charmander named Kell, and an Eevee named Ona."

"I hope one day I can meet them. But, uh… out of curiosity, why can't I let them see me?" Jack sighed, "because no human has stepped foot on this island in hundreds of years. The ancient people who lived here are all gone now. So you are really the first trainer ever to step foot here."

"I'm no trainer," I said quietly. "But, I've always wished I could be." Oscar stopped and turned around, "Hey, don't let that get you down. I'm sure any Pokémon would be lucky to have a trainer like you!"

"What about you?" He seemed to think for a moment then said, "if you wanted me to." I smiled, "are you serious!?" He laughed, "yes."

"No," Jack said. "That kid doesn't even have a pokéball. And even if he did, no." Oscar stared sadly at Jack then said, "fine." Only to turn back to me to smile and wink. I chuckled.

We eventually got to the town only for me to shoved into a basket. "Hey! What are you doing?" Jack just shushed me and I watched from under the basket lid as he walked over to a Machamp and asked him to take the basket to his house and put it in their basement. I rode bumping as the Machamp took me to their house and put me in the basement. "What's this," a feminine voice said. The Machamp just shrugged and said, "Jack told me to put this in the basement." I felt myself get taken to the basement and set down. I sighed. Then I heard footsteps. I pushed up out of the basket and said, "hey Jack I was wondering-" I looked down and standing there was a bright orange lizard with a flame on its tail. "So," I said. "I can totally… not explain this." I thought for a moment. "You must be Kell. Oscar told me about you." Kell just looked at me for a moment and fainted on the spot. "Huh," I said aloud. "It was super effective."

Jack and Oscar ran down the stairs and looked at Kell on the floor. "What did you do," Jack shouted. "She fainted," I said calmly. It was at that moment Kell decided to stir. "What happened," she said. She looked up at me and just gasped. "Uh, hello," I said. "I'm not going to hurt you. My name is Felix." She just said quietly, "you're not gonna catch me?"

"Catch you? In a pokéball? No." She relaxed visibly and stood up, "well it's nice to meet you Felix."

"Ditto." Jack sighed and pinched between his eyes, "alright. So no one else will find him, huh Oscar?" Oscar smiled nervously, "well, we just have to keep him here past the fair. Then we can find a way to get him home. That's only what? Three days?" Jack groaned and said, "fine. But, if anyone asks, again, this was YOUR idea!"

"Alright, alright."

Jack just scampered up the stairs grumbling all the way. I stood there for a moment then said, "so, do you have any food?"

Somewhere on the island…

A man in a suit walked off of a boat. "This Island will work very well, very well indeed," The man said with a slight drawl to his voice. Another man in a suit to his right nodded, "we found it about a week ago. It will work very nice as a final destination for the ship."

"Did you see any Pokémon?"

"No sir."

"Shame. Well, I guess it will have to do. I'll be ready in a week."

The men walked back to the boat and pushed off. They rowed up to another boat and climbed aboard. The entire exchange was seen only by them… and a curious wartortle already wondering how to turn the situation in his favor.

if you want to submit a character of yours, you can do so and I’ll probably through them in for you guys!

Chapter IV

I sat in the basement going through the first aid kit. It was all I had left of my home. The boat was wrecked, my life was wrecked, and I'd lost everything. Under the gauze I noticed a small book. It was my Pokémon manual I'd been reading on the boat. I had found it on the boat and put it in before Oscar, Jack, and I left the boat. I'd completely forgotten about it until now. I just sat flipping through it. The basement was really an empty hole with dirt floors and stone walls. Oscar had brought me some berries an hour ago and I'd ate them, they'd tasted sour. Since I'd ate no one had come to see me, so I just waited and sat until I fell asleep.

The next day was more of the same thing. I ate, I slept, and I talked to Oscar when he came to visit me. I learned that the island I was on was called Aeliar and the town I was in was called Osar. The day after was different and I knew it the second Jack and Oscar both padded down the stairs. I turned to them and Jack said, "alright it's important that you listen to me when I tell you this. Today is the Legends Fair and that means you can not under any circumstance— I don't care if the building is on fire— leave this basement. We're going to the Fair and you need to stay here." Curiously I asked, "what's the Legends Fair?"

"It's the annual celebration in honor of the legends," Oscar said.

"Like Palkia and Arceus?"

"Yes exactly! Wait. How do you know about the Legends?"

"Well… in my world we have Pokémon, but only in game form."

"That's… strange, but yes."

"Well, what's the story behind the Fair?"

"I'll tell you…," Jack said.

Long ago there was a war between humankind and the Pokémon of the world. Many fought and died to the hands of the other side. Even the Pokémon and humans that didn't fight were caught in the crossfire. The war was started by the Pokémon as a revolt against the monstrous cruelty showed by the humans, we were enslaved and used only for labor and disgusting fights. The war lasted a long time and in the midst of the war the Legends came out to fight along side us. The first to fight were the three beasts of Legends, Suicune, Entai, and Raikou. Soon the others followed and fought beside us until the humans, fearing the loss of their workforce, they erected a Machine that would holocaust our people. We sent a small army of Pokémon in a last stand to destroy the Machine that would all but wipe us out. Few made It past their defenses and those not in battle knew that almost surely the war was lost. So many Pokémon fled to a long forgotten duo of Islands. Those who were able to escape to the islands were spared most of the horror, but It was still just as so for those with family in the various regions. Almost every Pokémon in Kalos was killed and just as many everywhere else. Those close to the heart of the blast were turned to stone instantly. The only Pokémon who were spared were those farthest from the blast and those who made it to the islands.

Jack just stood there staring at me for a second then he just walked away. Oscar looked at me, "that's why there are less Pokémon in some regions than others. Because when the machine fired it hit some regions Pokémon harder than others." I just sat down and leaned against the wall, "that's terrible. I can't even comprehend how that could have happened… so the Fair is all in honor of the Legends who saved your ancestors?" Oscar nodded. "Well," I said surely. "I wouldn't want to interfere with the Fair, so I'll stay here." Jack nodded as he left, "good." Oscar smiled at me, "don't worry I'll bring you back a souvenir." I smiled back, "thanks."

It was about 20 minutes later that I heard it. The floors above my head were creaking. Then I heard a voice, "careful, they can't know we were here." The speaker was light on their feet so I figured it was a smaller Pokémon. "Your sure they had it delivered here?"

"Yeah, Galvin said ssso."

"The Machamp? Are you sure, because he's not the ripest berry on the bush."

"Yeah, he said for sure that Jack had him bring it here. He said Jack told him to take it to the basssement."

"Then let's check it out."

I gasped. I couldn't let myself be seen. Especially by someone who was snooping around in someone else's house. I'd heard through the floor the voices of every Pokémon that lived in the house, but I'd never heard this one before. I looked around for somewhere to hide. There were a couple of empty crates in the corner, but they were too small to hide behind or in. They'll come down the stairs any minute now I thought. The stairs! I remembered seeing a hole in the wall behind the stairs. I ran over to them and sure enough there it was, a small hole only about a foot by a foot wide and a few feet back, but just big enough for me to hide in. I climbed inside the hole and crawled backwards until I was a foot from the front. Just in time too, not a second later I heard someone walking down the stairs. I could barely see them through the stairs, but the first Pokémon walked on two legs, had a shell, and dark blue skin. A Wartortle I thought. I looked at the second Pokémon and was surprised to see an Ekans slither down the stairs. That explained the weird hiss I'd heard when he talked and why he'd made no noise walking, he'd just slithered across the floor.

They walked around the basement checking out the crates in the corner and even where I'd been sitting, not a minute ago. "There's nothing here," the Wartortle said. "Not even the basket." The Ekans slid out its tongue, "the air tastes ssstrange. Something else isss here." I slid slowly back into the wall until I hit the back. Then from upstairs I heard a door slam shut and someone run across the floor. "Come on Hepi, we need to go," The Wartortle said quickly. They snuck up the stairs and presumably out of the house. I sighed. Today's gonna be a day I thought.