Glow | Teen Ink

Glow

December 5, 2018
By RenesmeeRenee BRONZE, Sa, Texas
More by this author
RenesmeeRenee BRONZE, Sa, Texas
2 articles 0 photos 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
Norman Bates: You know what I think? I think that we’re all in our private traps, clamped in them, and none of us can ever get out. We scratch and we claw, but only at the air, only at each other, and for all of it, we never budge an inch.
Marion Crane: Sometimes, we deliberately step into those traps.
-Psycho (1960)


“So, I just tell him?” This is me asking my best friends for advice on how to tell my boyfriend what happened recently. “Everyone thinks I’m overreacting and crazy as it is, but I’m not!”

 “Well you do kinda sound crazy to the normies.” My friend, Cheshire, said as we sat at the table. It was just us, every Sunday for tea. Cheshire, Mr. Dormouse, Hatter, Elizabeth, Mr. Rabbit, and Mr. Caterpillar and his cloud of smoke.

  “I agree, not to hurt your feelings, my dear Alice, just to be truthful.” Hatter said. Hatter tells me everything and I tell him everything too. He is the closest thing I will have to a brother, for my mother is long gone. She is elsewhere, but hopefully someplace much more pleasant than a place full of battles, guns, bullets and knives, reasons why I always escape to Wonderland everytime I get a chance.

  “No harm in telling him the truth, brother. Anyone else who’d like to give their input?” I asked.

  Mr. Dormouse was glancing at me strangely. “Yes, Ms. Liddell. You are looking quite pasty this evening, dear.”

 “I think she looks quite alluring.” A voice said. I turned around to see a beautiful, tall, skinny, pale, red haired girl with chocolate brown eyes. I was shocked.

 “Scarlett! What a pleasant surprise. Care to join us?” Her sister, Elizabeth, asked holding up her tea cup smiling. Her white lipstick made her look ashier than she usually does. If you compared Scarlett to Elizabeth you can tell what their personalities are just by looking at them. Elizabeth has a kind smile but determined eyes. She is compassionate but don’t get on her bad side, she will ruin you. Scarlett on the other hand is always way too serious, which causes people to fear her, but she has a soft spot for me because of our history. The big clock in the middle of the field rang, letting me know it was time to leave.

  “I’m so sorry, but I have to go.. Until next time. Goodbye.” I said walking away. Their voices rang after me. “Goodbye.” They would whisper.

I stood at Alice’s door waiting for her. What is taking her so long? She promised. I pouted. She’s not coming, man. As I started to walk away she came running out the door.

  “Hold on! I just got here. I was out with old friends catching up. I just need to get changed, you see I spilled a spot of tea on my dress.”

  That’s why I loved Alice Liddell. She was always a mystery and so polite. Always in and out of home and no one would know where she went, except her father. But when anyone came over and asked if she was home and he said no, they would ask where she was and he’d just shrug his shoulders, like he didn’t know. Alice came out wearing a white dress with a black bow. She also had a black bow in her hair, the necklace she always wears was untucked and she was looking at it like there was something interesting inside. As we got into the car she whispered to her necklace, “It’s going to be a good day.”

  “Yes, it will be.” I said, intertwining my fingers in hers.

  “Where are we going? What is the surprise you were talking about?” This was typical Alice. When a surprise was involved she was. So was tea.

  “Well, I was thinking bubble tea, a movie, and the last thing is the best surprise.” I said as we parked our car in front of the mall. I smiled at her and kissed her gently. “You’ll love it.”

  “I love you, so of course I will.”

We walked out of the theater giggling. “That movie was so funny!” I said, happier than I’ve ever been. It always seemed like that with Kyle. That’s why I had to tell him. I had to show him. But how? I don’t know if anyone else can come in to the entrance through the mirror, unless they were family. Hopefully someone who is really close to you. I don’t want him to think I’m crazy and end up losing him.  I already lost mum and am close to losing father too. You see he has cancer and is going through chemo and it’s rough and he’s not getting any better. I cannot lose anyone else.

  “Alice I have to tell you something. You may think I sound crazy.”

  “As do I.”

  “Okay let’s wait until we get to the car and we will write it down at the same time.” We made it to the car and Kyle got out two notepads and pencils. “One, two, three!” We turned the notes around revealing the same word.

 Wonderland.

Wow. Well, Kyle and Alice know of Wonderland and all of the wonder it holds. Sorry that part was so short I just had to do a little A/N time. Kyle is obviously shocked. If he and Alice have been to the same place, what if others have been there too. What if they are more dangerous than a jabberwock?This is that little part in Kyle’s perspective.

When we walked out of the theater Alice was giggling. “That movie was so funny!” She said, happier than I’ve ever seen her. It always seemed that way when we were together. That’s why I had to tell her. I had to show her, she needed to see it for herself. But how? I don’t want her to think I’m crazy and end up losing her.  I already lost dad to drugs and mom is with her rich husband and his rich, somewhere on a beach getting tanned, not even thinking about her orphaned son. I cannot lose anyone else.

  “Alice I have to tell you something. You may think I sound crazy.”

  “As do I.”

  “Okay let’s wait until we get to the car and we will write it down at the same time.” We made it to the car and I got out two notepads and pencils. “One, two, three!” We turned the notepads around, revealing the same word.

 Wonderland.

Oh, yeah. That is Kyle’s background. His mother divorced his father when he was only four and his sister got cancer when he was thirteen. That’s how he and Alice met. They both went to the same school, but never talked, even though he like her. Then he went to visit his sister and saw her in the waiting room crying. So he decided she was the one and asked her out. They have been together ever since.

“Wait, if we’ve both seen this place, doesn’t that mean others had too?” I asked. Alice shook her head. . “Oh, well let’s not let this ruin the rest of the day. Let’s go.” When we arrived at the field it was 11:00 exactly. Alice looked at me confused.

 “Where are we?” She asked.

 “This is the last surprise. Look at the sky.” I said, patting the ground as I sat down. She sat down next to me.

“Wow,” She gasp. “It’s beautiful. I love it.” I smiled and looked at her.

 “So are you.” I whispered.

 “Not as pretty as this. I’m a speck of dust compared to this.”

 My face was serious immediately. I cupped her face in my hands. “Alice Marie Liddell, you are the most beautiful girl in the world. Prettier than any model, more beautiful than any star. I love you and I will say this every day.” I kissed her longer than I ever have to make my point. When I pulled away she smiled and laid down on the grass. She wrapped her fingers around mine and turned over to look at me.

 “I love you too, Kyle. I have since I first saw you at school when I moved here. When you asked me out at the hospital I was so happy.” She closed her eyes. God she’s beautiful. I thought kissing her forehead. I won’t let them hurt you. I promise. And when I make promises I keep them.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.