The Misadventures of James Potter | Teen Ink

The Misadventures of James Potter

By Freckles3 BRONZE, ------------, Ohio
Freckles3 BRONZE, ------------, Ohio

"The universe is not only queerer than we suppose; it is queerer than we can suppose."
~J.B.S. Haldane

Author's note: I'm quite aware that Dumbledore and Snape died, and I am very sorry if their appearances in this book annoy you. I resurrected them both to give the story more depth and connections. I hope you all enjoy reading this as much as I enjoy writing it (which is a lot). Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!

I had a lot of fun changing the kids, so please don't get mad at me about it :) Enjoy!

"Pleeeeeeeeeease, Dad?"

"Sirius, for the last time--"

"Please Dad, please Dad, please Dad, please Dad, please Dad?!"

"Sirius!"

Sirius turned and stared up at his father reproachfully. Harry sighed, reaching down and ruffling the boy's shaggy black hair.

"Look, I know it seems unfair, but next year you'll get to go too, and Tori still has to wait four years. You've only got one more to go."

"But James gets to go!" Sirius protested immediately. "And I can already do loads of magic, Dad, please?"

"It's not my rule, Sirius," Harry said with finality. "You can take it up with Professor McGonagall when you get there... Next year."

He put a hand on Sirius's back and steered him through the train station toward the familiar barrier. He could sense his son's fury at being left behind, but secretly, Harry was glad that Sirius was staying home. The house would be far too quiet and... normal... without both boys.

As they neared the barrier, Harry stopped walking and waited for the rest of the Potters. Ginny came into view holding Tori's hand and attempting to control James, who was bouncing about.

"Dad, come on! Let's go!" he cried, tearing himself from his mother and hurrying over, pushing his trolley in front of him. Inside was his trunk and a cage holding a handsome tawny owl.

"Alright, James, calm down." Harry released Sirius, who sulked moodily as James ran at the barrier, full speed. "Wait--" Harry lunged for James, but the boy was already through. Laughing, Harry quickly followed.

James had stopped just inside Platform Nine and Three-Quarters, marveling at the scarlet steam engine resting in the station. The air was thick and foggy and smelled so familiar that Harry almost allowed himself to bask in nostalgia, but he shook himself out of it and put a hand on James's shoulder.

"I can't believe it..." James looked around, excitement building on his face. "I'm actually going!"

He tried to take off, but Harry held him back and forced him to walk at a normal pace. James's young face was split in a grin as he took in all the sights. He and Harry were attracting stares from passerby, but James didn't notice.

As they moved through the crowd, James peered ahead impatiently. "Jane's coming, right?"

"Yeah," Harry replied. "We're meeting them near the end of the train."

At this, James increased his pace and Harry sped up with him. As they neared the back of the train, Harry spotted the familiar faces.

"There they are," he said, and allowed James to run ahead of them.

"Hey, mate," Ron greeted as he broke away from the Weasleys and clapped Harry on the shoulder. "This is crazy, ain't it?"

"Yeah..." Harry looked up at the Hogwarts express, already beginning to fill up with students. "It feels like yesterday we were boarding this ourselves, and now..."

Harry trailed off as he and Ron watched James talking to a girl his age who looked like a much prettier version of Hermione.

"Ah, they grow up so fast," Ron muttered, shaking his head.

Ginny walked up behind Harry with Tori, Sirius slinking along behind them. Ginny smiled and released Tori, reaching up to peck Ron on the cheek.

"How's Colin?" she asked.

"He's not as bad," Ron replied. "He still has a bit of a fever, though, so Hermione stayed home with him."

He knelt down to Tori's level, grinning at her. "Hey cutie." The seven year old girl beamed at him, her green eyes shining. Ron tugged at one of her dark red pigtails and she giggled and slapped his hand away. Harry smiled as he watched his daughter begin to chatter with Ron about her big brothers, and the cookies that Ginny had promised to make with her once they returned home.

Sirius trudged over to James and Jane, scowling. Suddenly, Hermione came running up breathlessly, her bushy hair up in a messy bun.

"Mum!" Jane smiled. "I thought you were staying home with Colin!"

Hermione tucked a strand of hair back behind Jane's headband. "Granddad is looking after him," she assured the girl. "I couldn't possibly miss your first day of school!"

Ron stood up, surveying the crowd. "Speaking of missing the first day, has anyone seen George?"

"I knew you'd miss me," said a voice behind them, and George came grinning into view. Ginny squeezed him.

"George, how are you? It's been ages!" she exclaimed.

"Hi, Angelina," Harry said, spotting the dark woman next to George.

"Hey, Harry," she greeted wearily. "Long time no see, eh?"

"Is everything alright?" Harry asked.

"Mm? Oh, yes, everything's fine, I'm just tired is all," she murmured, yawning. "It'll be nice having Fred out of the house, maybe it will keep his brother in check."

"What was that, Mum?"

A boy strode up to them, raising an eyebrow.

"I'm pretty sure you said on the way here that you'd miss me." He sniffed theatrically. "Well, I see now where your true loyalties lie."

"Bloody Hell," Ron muttered, staring at him. "He changed a lot in one summer. I think he takes after you a bit, George."

"You don't say?" George rolled his eyes. "Observant as always, little bro."

"Hey Mum, can I board now?" A tan girl with a lot of tight auburn curls appeared next to Fred.

"Not yet, Katie, can't you stand to wait with your relatives?" Angelina looked around. "Where's Oliver?"

"I don't reckon he went aboard, no no, that'd be much too predictable," George replied sarcastically. Angelina groaned and hurried onto the train in search of her youngest son. Katie smiled at Harry.

"Hey, Mr. Potter. Had a good summer?"

"Yeah, it was nice. Didn't get much down time, but what d'you expect? How was yours?"

"It was great, we went down to France with Bill, Fleur, and Maxi and visited Beauxbatons."

"Really?" Harry raised his eyebrows, impressed. "I didn't know you could do that."

"Oh, well, technically you can't, and not everyone was really pleased, but Fleur got us in alright."

"Ohhhhh, are you talking about Beauxbatons?" Jane hurried over, looking eagerly up at Katie. "Dad mentioned you were going. I've heard it's beautiful."

Harry moved away as the two girls began talking and looked up at the clock.

"It's about time we start getting your luggage packed, he announced, finding James with his brother. "Come on."

James followed Harry eagerly to the luggage compartment, helping to lift his trunk up.

"Can I go now?" he asked.

"Not just yet," Harry said, keeping his hand on James's shoulder. "You're going to need these." Every bit of common sense in his body screaming against it, Harry handed his eldest son a wrapped bundle.

"What is it?" James whispered, looking up at his father.

"These," began Harry, "were the secret to my success at Hogwarts. Unfortunately, I mostly only used them for really serious things, so hopefully you'll be able to have fun with them."

"Excellent," James murmured. "Cheers, Dad!"

He gave Harry a fleeting, one-armed hug before running off back towards the others. By the time Harry reached them, the kids were about to board.

"Be good, Jane," Hermione advised her daughter. "Study hard, but don't forget to enjoy yourself."

"Yeah, seriously, don't sweat about the schoolwork," Ron cut in. "Find a smart friend and stick with them, and then you're good."

"Cause trouble," George was telling Fred. "Don't be afraid to get in trouble, detentions usually suck, but you get used to it and if you can land one with someone else it's a lot more fun. Peeves is on your side, Filch isn't."

Tori was in tears, latching herself to James in a fervid attempt to stop him from leaving. He was petting her head absentmindedly and talking to Sirius urgently.

"I'll send loads of owls, Siri, you'll see. I'll tell you 'bout my pranks, you tell me 'bout yours. It'll be fine."

"I know," grumbled Sirius, "and don't call me Siri."

James grinned and punched Sirius in the shoulder before peeling Tori off of him. "It's okay, Tori, I'll write to you. I'll send you some sweets from Honeydukes."

Ginny cleared her throat loudly and Harry laughed.

"That's my boy," he said fondly. "Listen, James, have fun, alright? Don't fail your exams, but don't study too hard for them either. Just have a good time."

Ginny hugged him tightly. "We love you, James."

James choked, horrified. "Mum! Get off!"

Katie, already on the train, called to them.

"Come on, it's nearly time!"

Angelina came sprinting off the train, dragging behind her a boy who was a spitting image of Fred. He was grinning, and gave his brother a high five.

"Merlin, I can't wait till next year," he declared. "It's bloody amazing in there."

Fred ran aboard eagerly and hung out of the window to say goodbye to his mother. Hermione planted one last kiss on Jane's forehead and allowed her to follow Fred. James punched Sirius again and tugged one of Tori's pigtails before bounding up the steps and into the train.

The whistle blew and Harry pushed forward to watch as the train began to pull out of the station. James waved to him one last time before turning to face the direction the train was going. Sirius and Oliver ran next to the train, shouting up at their big brothers until the Hogwarts Express rounded the corner and was gone.

Enjoy! =)

"Alright, you lot," Katie announced once the platform was out of sight. "I'm going to go find Paige the some other second years. Try not to get expelled until we get there, will you?" She smiled pointedly at Fred before disappearing down the corridor.

Jane looked around. "Should we find a compartment, then?"

"You go on," James told her. "I'd like to wander around for a bit."

She bit her lip and left in the direction that Katie had gone.

Fred glanced at James. "You want to wander around?"

"Not really," James admitted. "But I don't reckon she'll like hanging out with me very much."

"Right." Fred raised an eyebrow. "Okay, then. Let's find a compartment."

He led the way into the corridor and entered the first compartment of first years. The three sitting together looked up at them sharply.

"Afternoon, mates," James greeted as he flopped down on the bench opposite the three kids, next to the window. They stared at him.

"I'm Fred, and this is James," Fred announced as he took the seat next to James.

The other kids continued to stare at James until one of the girls cleared her throat.

"Er, I'm Anna, Anna Morington. This is Blaize Getty and Rose Finnigan." Her eyes went back to James. "You're a Potter, aren't you?"

"Sure am," he replied. "But I don't have a scar or anything special, so don't bother asking."

Anna raised her eyebrows coolly. "Wasn't going to."

Rose Finnigan leaned forward, looking at James inquisitively. "Your dad's Harry, right? My dad talks about him loa--"

"That's nice," James cut across loudly.

Rose glared at him. "What's gone up your arse?"

"I just don't believe that my arse is any of your business, Morington," he snapped.

"Right," Fred cleared his throat. "Let's talk about Houses, shall we?"

"Gryffindor," Rose said immediately. "My mum and dad were there, and they've told me really good things about it."

"Well, yeah, obviously Gryffindor's the way to go," James told her. "My whole family's always been in Gryffindor. Ravenclaw sounds alright, a bit studious to me, and Hufflepuff wouldn't suck too bad I guess, but I think I'd leave if I was in Slytherin."

"My parents were in Slytherin," Anna stated, watching James with ice blue eyes. He shrugged indifferently.

"Sucks for you," he muttered. Blaize glanced at Anna's furious face and spoke up.

"My dad was in Hufflepuff, but my mum was in Gryffindor," he said. "No one's sure what I'll get."

"Gryffindor for me," Fred added. "Everyone I'm related to was in Gryffindor."

They fell into an uneasy silence and resorted to staring out the window as London faded and they began passing fields and country side. At some point, an old witch pushing the snack trolley rattled past and Fred and Blaize bounded out of their seats to meet her, returning with armfuls of sweets.

"Cheers, Fred," James said, grinning as he opened a Chocolate Frog. "Ah, no, it's dad. I already have a load of him at home."

"Oo, I'll trade you for Merlin," Rose offered quickly.

"Have at it." James tossed her his card and caught hers as it came his way. "I think this is my second Merlin."

Fred opened a frog and tossed the card aside, cupping the frog in his hand. He chose a Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Bean and stuffed in the frog's mouth before fishing through his bag.

"I think I brought them... Oho!"

He pulled out a box of Weasley Wizard Wheezes Pocket Fireworks and ripped it open with his teeth before feeding one to the frog. James gave a shout of laughter and jumped up, grabbing his things. Fred set the frog on the seat as James fled the compartment, followed by a hesitant Rose.

"Come on," Fred said, grabbing Blaize by the shoulders and steering him out in front of him. He turned to look back at Rose, who was watching them all suspiciously. "You're welcome to stay if you'd like," Fred told her.

James eyed the frog and gave the girl a crooked grin.

"I hope you like chocolate," he said, and slammed the compartment door shut.

There were two seconds where the frog began to fizz and spark and an expression of horrified understanding spread across Rose's face. She leapt up and ran for the door as the frog gave a large croak and exploded.

James, Fred, Rose, and Blaize jumped back as the glass door of the compartment was splattered with chocolate, goop, and ash. There was a scream from inside and the compartment behind them opened, curious faces poking out.

"What's going on out here?"

A pretty second year girl with raven hair looked curiously at the chocolate-covered compartment door. Fred opened his mouth to respond, but was cut off as Katie wacked him in the head.

"You idiot!" she cried. "What did I tell you?"

Fred opened his mouth, but once again was cut off as the compartment door opened and a furious, chocolate-covered Rose glared out at them.

Katie gasped and waved her wand quickly, muttering "scourgify" to wipe the mess from Rose and the rest of the compartment. She then turned to give Fred a stern talking-to as James howled with laughter and the other second years with Katie chuckled in admiration.

"Blowing up a chocolate frog?" The raven-haired girl shook her head. "That's a good one, I can't believe I've never heard of that before. I'm Jenn Cyprus, by the way." Rose shook her hand awkwardly as Fred tried to reassure his older sister.

"Sorry, Katie, I didn't know it would make such a mess! I'll behave, I promise!"

"You'd better behave, Fred Weasley, because if Mum finds out you've been expelled before you're sorted, you won't be able to feel your a--"

"Katie!" Fred attempted to stifle his grin. "I get it. Really. No more explosions until I'm sorted. Got it."

With one more threatening glare, Katie stormed back into her compartment with the other second years, but at the last second Fred thought he heard her laugh.

James grinned as Fred snorted and started laughing. Anna glared at them, shaking.

"You immature trolls," she spat. "You'll regret this."

"Ooooo," James pretended to shake with fear as he clung to Blaize for support. "Someone, help me, I'm so scared!"

Anna whipped out her wand, but James was faster.

"Expelliarmus!" he shouted, and Anna's wand flew out of her hand and into his. Fred yelped in joy. James took a look at Anna's face and flung her wand down the hallway, he and Fred tearing in the opposite direction.

He and Fred whooped as they ran down the corridor, ducking into a corner some ways away.

"I think this calls for another Chocolate Frog," James said breathlessly, handing Fred one and opening one himself. "Who knows, maybe I'll get Scrimgeour..." He looked down at the card. "Ah, I don't believe it. Dad again..."

"James, take a look at this," Fred muttered suddenly, pointing upwards. James followed his gaze and saw a ladder leading up to a hatch in the ceiling.

"Excellent," he whispered, casting his bag aside and grabbing the ladder. Fred gulped down his frog and followed him up.

James tapped the lock with his wand, saying "Alohamora" and pushed open the hatch. Fred clambered up next to him.

"Oh, this is nice," James murmured, feeling the cold wind whip through his hair. The sky had darkened, and the stars were out. James's eyes burned as the cold air dried them, but he stayed still, watching the scenery whip by. The train rounded a curve, and James pinched Fred hard.

"Ow, what was that-- Oh, blimey." Fred trailed off as he saw what James was staring at. Rising above the mountains, just in view, was a tower of Hogwarts. Both boys marveled at the bright windows set against the dark, imposing stone before the train took another turn and the tower vanished from sight.

James descended the ladder and Fred followed him.

"I reckon we're the first students to ever see Hogwarts this soon," James told him.

Fred opened his mouth to respond and for the third time was cut off. A voice echoed through the train.

"We will be reaching Hogwarts in five minutes' time. Please leave your luggage on the train, it will be taken to the school separately."

James hurriedly unbuttoned his shirts and shrugged it off. "Come on, get dressed," he told Fred as he buttoned on a white dress shirt and tugged a grey sweater on over it. Fred pulled his shirt off and followed suit. As they put on their robes and the train screeched to a halt, they lined up with the other students.

"James!" Rose and Blaize fought through the crowd towards them as they left the train, followed by a fuming Anna. Suddenly, they spotted a lamp bobbing over the heads of the students, and a loud voice called over the chatter.

"Firs' years! Firs' years over here! C'mon, follow me!"

They broke through the crowd and stared up at the giant of a man standing in front of them.

"Bloody Hell," Fred announced.

This book has 1 comment.

Excellent. Spelling errors, none. Grammar errors, none. I'm impressed. James does seem rather adept at magic for a first year, though. Maybe he's been training with Hermione. I look forward to more. Have a nice, abuse free day!