Verena in Wonderland | Teen Ink

Verena in Wonderland

By Razberry-Monster BRONZE, Wildomar, California
Razberry-Monster BRONZE, Wildomar, California
1 article 1 photo 4 comments

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good."

-Steven Wright

"Certainly I've always been this way, a patched up crazy, Matryoshaka!"

-Miku Hatsune & Gumi: Matryoshaka

"When in doubt, knock 'em out"

Author's note: I was editing a picture of my friend's Rpc Verena (Germany) and looked like a black haired Alice. That's when i decided to make a story using all of our rpcs. I made Verena the main character because she was the reason I thought of it XP

It’s a new week and it already started off badly for me. For several hours I’ve been sitting against my Fassen’s Black tree, which stands fifteen feet behind my now destroyed German house, with my elbows resting on my knees and my face buried in my hands. The thought of my house being blown to pieces breaks my heart. That was my home and I don’t understand why that idiot would do such a thing. Obviously because he is an idiot, but he knew not to do that, he knew…
~♦~

It started this morning when I woke up to find guy clothes all over the household. Automatically I thought of the Italian boy I have let into my home, Ilario. He likes to play a game where he goes through all of his clothes and runs around trying on every piece of clothing he could find and leaves a trail behind him. The game fits perfectly with his personality, childish. But he normally plays at night and I help him pick the clothes up before we go to bed and if I remember correctly, which I have an outstanding memory, I helped him clean up last night. Besides, these clothes don’t look like Ilario’s. My tired brain suddenly switched on as I realized that it had to be him.

I stormed down the hall to my brother’s room and banged on the door that had a sign which read ‘Go Away’. “Alric!” I yelled ignoring the sign, “open the door right now!” I received no response from him so I busted the door open with a kick. “Alric!” I yelled again.

My dark-red headed brother was sitting up in bed yawning and rubbing his left eye while asking “Ever heard of knocking?”

“I did knock,” I replied crossing my arms.

He put his arm down and looked at me with his cold magenta eyes. “Right,” he said sarcastically before pulling the covers over his head to go back to sleep.

“Pick up your clothes; they’re all over the house!” I told him.

“Whatever,” he mumbled.

“Now!” I shouted.

He turned to the wall so that he had his back toward me and he said in a low voice, “you’re annoying.”

That ticked me off. Fine then, be that way, see if I care, I thought as I grabbed my brother’s baseball bat from his closet and walked over to his bed. I swung the bat above my head and just when I was about to strike him I heard a childish voice come from behind me.

“Verena what are you doing?!” the voice cried.

Rats! It’s Ilario and he cries like a baby whenever Alric and I fight with each other. It’s hard to stop the Italian’s tears because he wants both my brother and me to say we are fine. But stupid Alric wants to make life harder on me and say he is not fine and that he hates me, which makes Ilario’s crying go from streaming sobs to waterfalls equivalent to the size of Niagara Falls. But right now I am busy trying to kill my brother so I cannot stop. Sorry Ilario.

There was a loud crack followed by a thud as the bat made contact with the bed. It was a sound that brought a smile to my face which quickly faded away as I saw my brother safe and sound and not injured in any way. On the other hand his bed was split in two and there was even a dent in the floor. Somehow Alric managed to get away from the impact. Tch, I knew giving him a lucky rabbit’s foot was a horrible idea or I wouldn’t be in this situation.

My brother was sitting on the floor, eyes wide and glued to his new deformed bed. He turned to glare at me with those cold pink colored eyes, which I swear turned red when they met my blue ones.

“You witch! Look at…,” he started to say but I cut him off.

“This is a mess, I expect you to clean this up. Oh, and your clothes too,” I demanded as I walked out of the room, dropping the bat on the way out.

“You’re the devil,” Alric murmured under his breath so I wouldn’t here, but I did!

I held in my anger that was boiling inside of me. I’m gonna explode! I stopped midway of the hallway and took a deep breath to calm myself down. Once I was calm I remembered Ilario was by Alric’s room but now I do not see him. He was probably downstairs sobbing to himself on the couch. Great, more stress to add to my day, I thought as I made my way to the front room.
When I was at last step I turned to only face two of my biggest nightmares. Thing 1 and Thing 2, in other words, Ann and Abigail. They are two blonde Americans who are as stupid as Ilario and Alric, if not worse. I gritted my teeth as I made my way to the medicine cabinet in the kitchen to find some aspirin because I had a major headache.
The doorbell rang and Ilario jumped from the couch and excitedly ran to the door yelling “Got it!” When he opened the door my nightmare became hell. I saw: a chatter box, uneducated, Spanish girl named Alejandra, a stuck up, bad at cooking, British woman named Elizabeth, a creepy Russian who has red spots on her white dress named Anastasiya, a lazy Greek girl named Selene, and another uneducated person named Emilio who is from Puerto Rico.
My mouth dropped as they came into my house. I don’t have any relations with these people so why the heck are they here?! I poured three or four tablets in my hand and popping them into my mouth hoping that it will either get rid of my headache or kill me. Before I could tell any of them to get out they dispersed throughout the building.
“Get out now,” I told the English woman. She just gave me a cold look and turned toward the kitchen. I hope she isn’t going cook anything, I thought as I twirled my head to find someone else to urge out of my home. I was watching everyone’s movements. Alejandra was having an argument with Elizabeth who was cooking, gross. Selene walked up to the couch and slept there while Ann and Abigail were running into walls, morons. And Anastasiya was chanting something creepy and out of this world because my windows broke when she was finished. I hope she hasn’t let any spirits in my home.
Once I was done surveying everyone I turned towards the stairs to go to lie down on my bed but stopped when I heard Ilario and Emilio laughing. I quickly spun around to see what they were doing because their laugh gave me sickening feeling in the core of my stomach. My instincts told something bad was going to happen and they were right. Ilario was holding fireworks while Emilio was holding the matches. Nothing good ever comes out when idiots have fireworks let alone matches in the hands.
“Ilario! Emilio! Don’t you dare…” Too late. The first one was set off and shot up straight into the second floor. Boom! The whole house shook as we tried to escape the falling pieces of ceiling. We all managed to get outside safely but my house was now burning. I dropped to my knees at the sight of my beloved home. It looked like it did during World War II. I was so stunned no words could come out of my mouth, but after ten years of not crying, tears started to run down my cheek. It shocked everyone since it’s such a rare occasion for me to cry.
I finally snapped when my brother came down the half destroyed staircase and started to make things worse by kicking down the weak walls. Everyone flinched when I stood up and walked over to morons who blew up my house.
“Wa-wait Verena, please don’t kill us!” Ilario cried as he and Emilio hugged each other like cowards as I knelt down in front of them.
“Tell me whose idea it was so I can punish them and I’ll spare the other,” I said with my death glare which frightened them so much they didn’t answer me. “Talk!”
“It was me, I’m sorry…I’m sorry.” My eyes widen when I heard Ilario’s voice come out of his moving lips. He knew better not to play with fireworks, not to mention fire! Even though it broke my heart I still hated what he did.
I stood up and grabbed the Italian by the arm and pulled him up. He stared at me with frightened eyes as I dragged him to the gate at the front of house. I opened it and threw him to the road. “STAY OUT!” I yelled at him. He fell and when he turned to face me I could tell he was trying to hold back tears. I glared at everyone else and they knew they had to leave as well. One by one they all left, with the smile that they came in with gone.
~♦~

Tears began to run down my face once more after having to remember that flashback. And because of all this stupid crying I am starting to fall asleep. My eyelids are getting heavier every minute that passes by. Out of boredom I stared at the ground beside me and saw a piece of the firework that blew up my house stuck in some blades of grass. My fingers wrapped around it and pulled it up, yanking some grass out of the earth. I tightened my fist because I was ready to explode with anger. I need some sleep, I thought. Slowly I loosened my grip and allowed the wind to pick up the plant and the trash. I watched them drift away as my eyes started to close. Everything faded to black from there…

In all of the dreams I’ve had, this would definitely be the weirdest one yet. I can see myself talking but I don’t see to whom. Wait… I see them now, but… um… why am I conversing with a rabbit…with clothes?! But that’s not the creepy part. That rabbit said my name then it looked at me and smiled. Not “me” in the dream, but the real me!

My light blue eyes snapped open and I sat up quickly with my jet black hair falling all over my face. That was scary, I thought as I pushed a few pieces of my hair aside. When I looked up I screamed at a stranger who was standing in front of me. She smiled as she knelt down so that we were eye to eye. My eyes diverted to the top of her head and saw a pair of bunny ears. I was so confused that my voice wouldn’t come out when I tried to speak. Maybe I’m still dreaming.

The bunny girl was wearing odd clothing; it was a vest, with a pocket and a diamond symbol on it, over a dress which the sleeves were different lengths. Her long brown hair was pulled into a braid which was low because it started at her shoulders. I watched her chocolate colored eyes searching for something. She reached into her vest pocket and took out a pocket watch. When she opened it and peeked inside her face went from happy to not so happy. She closed it and stuffed it back into her pocket. She stood up with a now concerned look and held out her hand to me.

“We must hurry, Verena, or we will be late,” bunny ears said.

I opened my mouth to ask why she knew my name but before I knew it she grabbed my hand and started to run. She was dragging me behind, like literally dragging me. My legs were being scraped by all of the rocks on the ground, and I was wearing pants!

“Hey! Stop! You’re hurting me! Stop! I said Stop!” I yelled. Finally my voice is coming out.

It took a few seconds but she stopped at last but was still holding my wrist. I stood up and followed her brown eye’s gaze and it landed on a giant hole in the ground in front of us. She turned her face to me and smiled really big. Oh no! Her grip on my wrist was tighter and because of that I started to back away. She let go of me but this time she walked behind me to make sure I did not walk any further. When I turned to glare at her she was looking at the sky all depressed. “Let’s see if this works,” she whispered in my ear which made me shiver, “by the way my name is not ‘Hey’, it is Maddalena.” And with that she shoved me. I started to lose my balance then next thing I knew I was falling through the hole. Maddalena jumped in after me with a smirk. I was falling too fast that I never got that last glimpse of light from my world.

Several minutes have passed and yet there is no end to this falling; it's getting me really irritated! But nothing is more irritating than a laughing, bunny eared girl who is falling right next to you! I try to ignore her by focusing on a small speck of light in the distance but my goodness! She is so annoying! "Will you please shut up!" I finally snap at her, "What is so funny?"

She muffles her laugh and snickers, "That was too easy!" She looks like her head is going to explode from trying to keep that laugh in.

I turn my head to look at her and ask "What was?" but the words sort of trailed off when I realize I cannot see her face, only the outline of her whole body.

"Pushing you," she says straightforwardly gives a small shrug, as if it was an obvious answer.

I am about ready to strangle this girl! But first... I take in a deep breath... I need some explanations around here! "How is it that you know my name?" I ask, my eyes glaring at what I presume to be her head.

"Everyone in Wonderland knows who you are, Verena," Maddalena explains soothingly, but one word in that sentence does not sound right.

"Wonderland? What do you-" is all I manage to say before closing my eyes shut from a blinding light that is coming from below me, or above because I really don't know which way I am falling. I slowly open my eyes to see a dazzling site. There is a huge, diamond shaped forest me below, and all of the leaves on the trees are gold and has a sparkliness to it. Ahead of the forest is a breath taking castle that is white and gold with specks of turquoise and a ton of diamond shapes gems. This sight makes me feel, happy... almost. "It's so pretty," I begin to say then look down. My eyes widen as we start to fall closer to the ground. I want to scream out but the air is stopping me from letting my voice escape, and what's worse is that miss Hyena is cracking up over here! I close my eyes and cover my face with my hands, waiting for the impact, waiting for that death I wished for earlier, but... A tear streams down my cheek which shocks me into snapping my eyes back open.

I slowly remove my hands from my face to see that I am sitting on floor, not squished like a tomato but perfect as I was before. "But... How could this-" I start to utter but was stopped by more tears streaking my face. "Why? Why am I crying?" I question, wiping my eyes but the water continues to flow. "Why is that I am crying so much today!?" I practically scream and start to tremble. "This isn't like me. Stop crying for no reason!"

I took several deep breaths and finally calm myself down before placing my weight against a tree and heaving myself to a standing position. My legs feel like jello but I shake it away and pat the dirt off my pants. As I am doing so, a gush of wind decided to tangle my hair for me, making me grumpily fix it. I am a prideful woman, so yes, looks do matter. After taking about five minutes untangling my hair, I start to look for Maddalena. I am not done interrogating her! If I'm lucky, which following all of the events that has happened to day I can't really say I am, but if I am lucky, Maddalena might be squished like a tomato by now. I smile to myself before looking up and realizing, I am surrounded by those golden leaves trees. Even up close they are spectacular! I close my eyes and allow the gentle breeze play with my hair. I feel so... relaxed.

At that moment, I start hear movement come from behind me. Of course! I can never have one good long lasting occasion, can I? I turn around, ready to punch somebody's daylights out, but to my surprise, no one else is here. Or at least not from what I can see. "Who's there?" I shout but receive no answer. I stay still and listen, then hear a giggle coming from a bush to the left of me. I move closer to the shrub, thinking it might be Maddalena but then back away when I hear a whisper that did not sound like Maddalena's voice. Before I realizing what I am doing, I kneel down and grab the nearest good size rock and chucked it right at the bush.

"Ow!" a voice cries out as I fist pump the air. Bulls-eye! I walk over and peer over the bush to find Maddalena tending to a wounded boy laying on the floor. The rock had hit his head and left a gash and a bump... whoops!

"I told you she was scary!" Maddalena laughs as she helps the boy sit up. He has a darker shade of brown hair than Maddalena's and is in a style I know all to well!

The boy rubs his wound, giving a small laugh before looking at me with his big dark brown watery eyes. "That really hurt, Verena," he pouts.

I pick up another decent size rock near me and hold it above my head, gritting my teeth, ready to throw another one at him. The boy flinches and crawls behind Maddalena who is holding her hands up, motioning me to stop. I drop my arm but still clutch on to the rock, glaring at the guy who is in turn, shaking in fear. "Stupid Ilario," I mumble. He looks at me surprised that I knew his name and then stands up like nothing had hit him and was beaming with joy. Yup, it's Ilario.

"Verena, you should come to the Diamond Country with us," Maddalena announced.

"No way!" I respond bluntly, waking away from the bush.

"But it's dangerous out here!" she exclaims, standing up as well.

"I'm not going anywhere until you tell me what's going on here!" I demand, crossing my arms. "And what are you doing here?!" I ask, looking at Ilario.

Ilario stares at me with confusion as Maddalena sighs then says, "I'll tell you if you come with us."

"And why should I go with you?!" I snap.

"Because you want answers, don't you? And I can't tell you everything because I don't know everything, but maybe my queen can help you so it would be better if you came along. Besides you don't know which way to go!" she snaps back.

There are three things I hate the most in life: losing, being wrong, and admitting I'm wrong. I stubbornly look the other way and think about what she had just said. It's true I don't know which way to go and I want some answers but I am not going to admit it.

I feel a short tug on my shirt so I turn my head and see Ilario gazing right at me with his huge eyes. I shove him off me, making him lose his balance. He didn't fall but he did trip a little. "What do you want?" I ask him, anger in my voice.

"You must come to the kingdom, Verena!" he smiles at me, like I had never pushed or hurt him today.

"No!" I affirm my answer quickly.

"As a knight of the Diamond Country, I shall lead the way!" he continues, ignoring my response as he gave a salute.

"When did you become a knight?" I retort.

"I've always been one?" he replies, confused at my question.

"No you have not!" I began but was cut off by Maddalena.

"He's not the same Ilario you know you know Verena. He's our Ilario, not yours." I shift my gaze to Maddalena and give her a 'huh?' expression. "Their personality must be the same for you to think he's the Ilario you know," she continues.

"There identical," I growl, glaring at Ilario.

He looks back at me with a smile, "You know me?" he asks.

"Not you, Ilario. Another Ilario," Maddalena explains.

"Oh?" he responds through confusion. I don't blame him, I am confused as well. This must mean I need all of the answers I can get!

"Fine, I'll go with you," I say. Both of them begin to cheer. "But!" I love ruining things for people, "No laughing, no giggling! No singing, no fooling around and you better tell me everything you know!" I was pointing at Maddalena for the last part.

Both nodded. "I'll lead the way!" they say at the same time. "No me! Stop copying me! Stop!"

I have a headache once again. "Since I know Ilario, or the other Ilario that acts like this one, I say we follow him since I trust him more than you," I tell Maddalena.

"You're kidding me right? You trust him to lead the way more than me?" she questions with a look of disbelief. Ilario did a fist pump and starts to walk away saying "This way! This way!"

"Yeah, because he didn't push me down a hole!" I shot at her before following Ilario. She opens her mouth to say something but then quickly shuts it and catches up to us.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You know how I said I trust Ilario more? Bad mistake. Well at least following him that is. It has been about two hours and we are currently lost. Defiantly like the Ilario I know.

"Was your Ilario directionally challenged as well?" Maddalena asks me, sitting on a rock and watching the Italian boy looking behind bush for the castle.

"Yeah," I say leaning against a tree.

"Wish you let me take the lead?" she asks, beaming.

"No," I lie. Again, not admitting it! "Ilario, stop fooling around!" I yell.

That made him flinch. "S-sorry," he replies, backing away from the bush.

"We go that way," Maddalena points the right of her.

"You sure?" I ask tiredly. I don't want to walk in circles again.

"Positive," she smiles confidently then starts walking in that direction. I take my weight off the tree and walk behind her, Ilario following after us.

Apparently "bunny ears" was right; it was the correct way. By the time it became dark we reached a fancy town and behind it was that splendid castle. Maddalena starts to walk toward it. "Come on, I'll take you to the queen."

"Hmm... I think it's faster that way," Ilario states, pointing back at the woods.

"No!" Maddalena and I both cry out and grabbing his collar and pulling him along with us.

As we are walking, I am taking note of what is in town and I have to hand to these people, they keep a nice town; clean and full of life. I admire these people because yes, I am a clean freak, deal with it.

"The castle is made out of marble and the gems are real turquoise. As for the rims and the roofs, they are real gold and silver," Maddalena states randomly.

"What crazy things are you talking about?" I ask.

"The castle," she replies, smiling then completely stops walking and looks up.

I stop as well, wondering why she stopped then I look up and see the entrance to the castle and my mouth drops.

"It's the prettiest out of all other castles in Wonderland," she explains.

Again with Wonderland! "What is-?" but I am cut off by Maddalena again.

"The queen is waiting for you inside," she says smiling at me...

on Mar. 12 2012 at 9:57 am
blue-eyed_blondie, Lake Elsinore, California
I really like the story line. You portrayed Verena well Ari. >w< 

CountryPopGirl PLATINUM, Lawrenceville, New Jersey

"You love someone, you open yourself up to suffering, that's the sad truth. Maybe they'll break your heart, maybe you'll break their heart and never be able to look at yourself in the same way. Those are the risks. The thought of losing so much control over personal happiness is unbearable. That's the burden. Like wings, they have weight, we feel that weight on our backs, but they are a burden that lifts us. Burdens which allow us to fly..."
-Dr. Jack Hodgins (Bones)

like the cover, reminds me of Italy