High Society | Teen Ink

High Society

By AdrianaR21, Santa Ana, California
AdrianaR21, Santa Ana, California

Chapter 1: 

Pilot

Prologue: Some individuals may argue that success is subjective. In the 1920’s cold money in new money determined how you were perceived as in the upper class. Did you inherit your family’s fortune and the benefits that came with it in the world of luxury. Name status profit can all change in an instant moving faster than anything imaginable and some don’t even realize. How caught in it they really are until it’s too late. 

A pretty young lady walked around the company unit, she saw a familiar face.

“ Luke!You said you couldn’t get a flight back home on Sunday '' she responded.

“ What would an eight month anniversary be without a surprise” said Luke. 

They stare at each other for a while. 

“ How long are you going to stay?” she responded 

“As long as you want” said Luke.

“ But seriously “ she responded 

“ I’m not leaving! I just put in a new offer for an apartment” said Luke

“ Are you serious! ” She responded.

" Yes!”  said  Luke

“OH MY GOD!” she responded in excitement. She jumped in Luke's arms in excitement. They were about to kiss, unit woman who walked in and called the young lady.

“ Everly, your father is online” said the assistant, 

“ What!”  said  Everly. 

The Assistant sighs, “ Your father said it's important” , said The Assistant.

A group of police officers are at a crime scene. A young lady walked in and one of the officers went up to her.

“ Detective Mccarthy'' said the police officers

The young lady notices the officers calling her.

“ Hi Lauren, I wish we were meeting  under better circumstances ” said Detective Mccarthy, 

Lauren shrugged, “ It’s how it always is” said Lauren.

Detective Mccarthy looked around curiously. 

“ Where is his wife ” said Detective Mccarthy

“An officer is taking her statement”, said Lauren. 

Detective Mccarthy looked around Lauren's shoulder and saw one of the officers talking to his wife and went back to look at Lauren, smiling at her. 

“ Thanks,” said Detective Mccarthy.           

Detective Mccarthy walked over where the officer and the lady were at.

“Mrs. Wilson Lafontaine'' said Detective Mccarthy.  

Mrs. Wilson Lafontaine looked at Detective Mccarthy. “ May I speak with you in a private room?” said Detective Mccarthy.

“ Sure,” said Mrs. Wilson.

Detective Mccarthy and Mrs. Wilson walked to a private room.  

“ Hi, I’m Detective Mcarhty, I’ll be leading this case. May I ask you a few questions? “ said    Detective Mccarthy.

“ Yes,” said Mrs. Wilson in a sad  expression.

“ What time did you come back home to find your husband like this” said Detective Mccarthy.

“ Today around 9:30 p.m” said Mrs.Wilson, “ Did he have any friends come over to the house?” said Detective Mccarthy.

“ No, he would have told me, Why!?”  said Mrs.Wilson. 

Detective Mccarhty signs.

“  Do you think someone we know did this?” said Mrs.Wilson curious.

“ Your husband had a bullet in his forehead, I'd say it was personal” said Detective Mccarthy. 

" Oh my god” said Mrs.Wilson looking down at the ground in shooked.

“ Did Steven have any enemies?” said Detective Mccarthy. 

Mrs.Wilson looked back up to Detective Mcarrthy.

“ The entire city was his enemy, he always went on and on about how everybody was out to get him,” said Mrs.Wilson.

“ Was he always paranoid?’ said  Detective Mccarthy.

“ No, not a unit recently” said Mrs.Wilson.

“ Did you notice any strange behavior leading up to his death?” said Detective Mccarthy.

“ He talked about making a mistake, something about money,” said Mrs.wilson.

“ Money?” said Detective Mccarthy.

“ He didn’t give too many details, he said he owed money to some guy? Umm Romai, Roma” said Mrs.wilson.

“ Romano!” said Detective Mccarthy.

“ Yes!” said Mrs.wilson.

One of the officers came walking in the room. “Detective Mccarthy, we found this by the window,” said the officers.

Detective Mccarthy looked at it. “ What is it?” said Mrs.wilson.

“ He’s playing with us,” said Detective Mccarhty. “What are you talking about” Mrs.wilson.

“ Get that tested for princes,” said Detective Mccarthy.

“ What’s going on? What was that!’ said Mrs.wilson.

“ It was a business card and they have it as a signature to the crime they committed, “ said Detective Mccarthy.

“ They? More than one person did this!”  said Mrs.wilson.

“ This wasn’t just one person. The Romanos are an organized crime family but in more recent years they’ve expanded their circle to strangers” said Detective Mccarthy.

“ Are you saying my husband owed money to a mob!” said Mrs.wilson.

“ Sadly yes, are there any other family members we need to contact” said Detective Mccarthy.

At Caspian house. “ Hey, I came as fast as I could,” said Everly.

“ How did you hear about it?” said Julie.

“ My Dad actually, Hey Nash” said Everly.

“ Bathroom” said Nash, Everly sighs 

“We're lucky he isn’t climbing out of the window and running away” said Julie. 

“ Don’t give him ideas” said Nash, Caspian walked in.

“ You think I haven’t tried that already,” said Caspian.

“ We’re so sorry to hear about your uncle, He was such a great person,” said Julie.

“And you know he owed money to a mob! A MAFIA!, Didn’t think they existed anymore outside of movies” said Caspian.

“ What are you talking about?'' said Nash.

“ My aunt called and that Steven was killed by an organized crime family, they left a  

business card with the leader’s signature” said Caspian.

“ That sounds like the-” said Julie but cut off by Caspian.

“ Romano’s, yeah! We get it!” said Caspian.

“Who?” said Everly.

“ The Romans are an organized crime family in the city, they’re been here since the 40’s, I think? My mom told me stories about them” said Julie 

“ They’re one of the most one group of criminals in the country, Anyone who is tied to them is either sent to jail or killed before they can confess” said Julie

“And on top of that they've been caught,” said Nash. 

“ Not yet,” said Caspian.

Everyone turned their head towards Caspian in shock.

“ Recrimination is all they deserve,” said Caspian. 

“  Police are working on it and they'll find you,” said Nash.

“I’m not talking about the police, I’m talking about us dumbasses,” said Caspian.

“ What!” said Nash. 

“ Nash, how much of wine did he drink thai morning” said Julie, 

“ The Romanos have deserved to rot in a prison cell for the last 80 years but no one has caught them,” said Caspian.

“ So what do you think we can do better?” said Everly.

“ Is that even a question!. We find Joseph Romano and bring his little group of rats to a prison cell “ said Caspian.

“ It’s not that easy, why do you think the police department hasn’t caught them yet” said Nash, “If the FBI or the CTA haven’t been able to find the leader. What makes you think we can!” said Everly.

“ We can have private investigators that get us access to anything we want,” said Caspian.

"We can't just go around trying to find criminals, do you know what people might think if they find out we’re hunting a mafia?” said Julie. 

“We’d be doing the country of public services,” said Caspian.

“ No, okay forget about'' said Nash.

“ Wow, so you actually care about someone other than yourself,” said Julie.

“I think it’s the alcohol  affecting me,” said Caspian.

“ Why do you want us to do this really?” said Nash.

“ While I want for my bastard father to give me his fortune and glory I might as well have something else on my resume, how does hunter of italian mafia sound?” said Caspian.

“ You want our help?” said Everly.

“ As much as I’d rather take all the credits, I wouldn’t ask anyone else,” said Caspian.

“ Where would we even start?” Nash said. “ I’ll tell you once you agree,” said Caspian. Everly looked at Julie and Nash, then she looked at Caspian.

“It wouldn’t be just us either, I want more people in on this” said Caspian.

Everly sighs, “ What the hell do we have to do?” said Everly.

“ Glad you asked, the first thing we need is a bigger circle but don’t worry about that, What you need to do! Everly is getting your ass on a plane to Las vegas” said Caspian.

“ What!” said Everly in shock.

“ For the last 20 years it’s been speculated that Romanos owns one of the hotels on the Las Vegas strip. It’s owned by a private investor in New York and not a franchised company” said Caspian.

“So” said Nash, “So two weeks ago the New York Times published an article saying a romano tried to buy out another hotel on the trip but the owner didn’t, why did the guy want to buy the hotel? “said Caspian.

“Maybe To expand his mafia empire,” said Julie.

“ Why do I have to be the one to go to Vegas, that’s a five hour flight?” said Everly.

“ You’re the only one here who can work away from New York,” said Caspian.

“ And can’t we email this guy,” said Everly.

“ You think he’ll take us seriously,” said Caspian. 

Everly sighs.

“ Fine, what hotel may be going to Bellagio, Mirage or Vogue?” said Everly.

“ Grayson hotel, ” said Caspia. 

After five hours Everly went to Grayson hotel.