Stranded on a Island | Teen Ink

Stranded on a Island

Author's note:

This piece was one of many ideas I had of a short story. Some of my other ideas are a women gets lost in the woods while on a hike and she has to find her way out of the woods. 

Jack, who was a tall skinny boy, is part of a family of 5, his two parents, Greg and Margaret, and his two siblings, Stella and Sawer. His brother and sister are twins and best friends that can not be separated. They all live in Montana but since it was a vacation they decided to go to Puerto Rico to get away from the snow. They decided to go to Puerto Rico since you don’t need a passport to get in. They did not have a passport so they could not go where they wanted to go originally. Also, they thought it would be a beautiful place to visit and it would be fun to learn about the culture, plus there are tons of things to do. One of which was their idea of renting a fishing boat and going fishing in the middle of the sea. 

As the violent waves hit the side of the boat and the wind whacked against the windows it was chaos. One family in the middle of a storm at sea on one tiny boat only meant to go fishing, it was under attack by mother nature herself. They couldn’t do anything but wait and see where this took them and that was what they did. The storm brought them to an island. “Is everybody okay?”Jack asks

“I am,” everybody responded. 

“JACK!!” screamed Stella.

“Don’t worry,” said Jack's mother. 

“About what?” Jack said. Right before he looked down at his leg then he fainted. 

When he woke up he had 20 stitches in his left leg which were put there by his dad. His dad used some of the fishing line and a hook to give him stitches to close the wound.

“All better Jack?” said his dad. 

“Yep much better,” responded Jack.

It was getting dark so they attached the boat to a big tree with some rope that was on the boat. They would have driven back to the mainland but the boat was out of fuel. So the best they could do was tie it to the island and sleep on the boat.

“Thank God you took that survival course at your summer camp, or else we would not be able to make that knot to support the boat's weight,” said Jack’s dad. 

“I knew it would come in handy!” said Jack with a smirk on his face.

The next morning Jack and his dad decided to go explore the island for food so they could eat or freshwater that they could drink. It only took them 20 seconds to realize that the island was full of fruits and vegetables. When they walked into the forest they found mango, pineapple, apples, cucumbers, carrots, and much more. They also found a well nearby. They were wondering how all this food got to the island and how fresh it was. Then they saw some bins filled with the fresh fruits then they heard the bush moving and Jack stepped back behind his dad in fright. 

“Who is there!” shouted his Dad, no response.

They slowly walked towards the sound of someone cutting fruit at a torn-down shack. The man was wearing no shirts and grass shorts that seemed very old and had many tears in them. When Jack and the man connected eyes, he got chills down his spine and goosebumps on his legs and arms. The man then stopped cutting and walked over to them and examined them. He then pulled out a huge shell-like horn and blew into it.

A minute later a man with four huge bodyguards walked up to them and examined them, he looked like some king or duke. He wore a shirt that was very fluffy at the arm holds.  He also wore shorts made from leather and cloth. The man looked at them in a weird way like there was something wrong. In fact, there was something wrong. The man then yelled at his four guards in a language that Jack and his dad could not understand. 

Then the men ran at them, Jack and his dad ran away as fast as they could back to the boat.  Five seconds later the men ran out still after them. Jack thought quickly and wrote a peace sign in the sand thinking they would see it. The bodyguards understood and backed off then the king came out. He saw the peace sign and he had a smile on his face as if they were always his friends.

Jack’s whole family was then taken to a beautiful village that had many houses and shops. The people treated Jack and his family with respect like they were family. They gave them plenty of fruits, meats, and vegetables, they had devoured cause they were so hungry. 

After the meal, they went to the beach to try, to communicate with the natives of the island. They did this by grabbing a stick and writing their names in the sand then pointing to them and repeating their names. One little native boy knew a bit of English and yelled “Jack, Stella, Sawer!”

Everyone was so happy they were finally communicating, and since this boy knew a bit of English, he could translate to the elders. That was what the little boy had done, Jack's family would say something in English and he would translate it. Jack’s family told the boy about how they are from Montana, and how they were swept to the island. He went on to tell them that was the reason they were on the island and how they wanted to get home. The boy translated it all and the natives gave them hugs and the family accepted all of them. Then Jack ran to the beach and kept saying he had an Idea.

At the beach, he used sticks to write S.O.S in the sand. Right beside it, he put rocks that said the same thing. He also thought of starting a fire. So he went along the beach and grabbed twigs and sticks big and small. With the sticks he made a tap then he ran into the boat and came out with matches. He lit a match and put it in the middle of the tipi and smoke started to rise.  He did this so boats or planes far away would see and hopefully investigate. 

That was what happened as they looked off into the distance they saw a huge boat that was orange, on the side, it writes "U.S. Coast Guard." 

“Yayyyy!” Jack’s family screamed.

The coast guard must've thought it was screams cause they sped up a lot. Then Jack’s mom and dad looked at each other with worried faces. They thought, 'what if they thought the natives hurt them.' Well, they were right to be worried because the coast guard got in their little boats and started going at them. They realized they had weapons out, they quickly started to say "friendly, friendly." They probably didn’t hear it because when they got to shore. They yelled, “What's going on here!”

“We were washed up here and the natives helped us,” replied Jack’s family.

“Then why were we screamed at?” one of the coast guards said.

“That was us saying yay cause you guys were going to help us,” responded Jack.

The coast guard troops looked surprised at what they said but believed them. The coast guard troops said that it was time for them to go home and off this island. So the family hugged the village people and said goodbye and went with coast guard troops back to Puerto Rico. Where they got plane tickets back to Montana. 

When they got back to Montana they all said on the car ride home “I liked that trip!”

“Maybe another time, maybe another time,” said Jack’s dad.