The bad hero | Teen Ink

The bad hero

By tacogeneral, Houston, Texas
tacogeneral, Houston, Texas

this is a work in pogress so i may not know if i am going to add more to this or work on other stories

Today was an average day for an average guy like me. My name is Drake Rein, and this about me becoming a hero, or close to being one. The time is 7:22am. I had to go to work at 2 pm but I didn’t feel like going to work today but I have to in order to pay off the bills that were due a week ago. I got out of my bed and made a egg toast sandwich and watched the morning news. Traffic was going to be less heavy than usual so, I slowly put my clothes on and went outside the door to my car. When I got into the car my phone ranged and i picked it up. I realized that it was my friend Darryl.

“Hello?”

“Yo buddy what’s up, how’s your day?” Darryl was a close friend of mine since my college days, I still question myself why am i even friends with him in the first place.

“I’m going to work, what about you?” I do not why I said that in a very bland voice.

“Well I was thinking about a vacation to new york with my friends and I was wondering if you want to tag along with us?”

I figured I needed a vacation after doing nothing but work for who know how long

“Sure, when you are going?”

“It would be at June 6. 2 weeks from now.”

“Okay then see you soon”

“Alright then, bye.”

I didn’t really thought about it though as if I really wanted to go to a vacation with him as I never went on a vacation to a different state before so I thought why not?

I drove to my work that had a bland smell everytime i park there but I got used to the smell a long time ago. I entered the building just before it was about to rain. I walked up to the reception where i usually see Laura the receptionist, she always smiles everytime I see her and i feel a smile everytime i see her.

“Hello Drake.”

“Hi Laura how’s it going?”

“Nothing much really, last night i went to this bar and I swear to you they make the best margaritas there.”

“Oh really, then you should take me there, maybe on the weekend?”

“Yes please I really want the others to come along but they said they are busy.”

Or they don't want to do anything that involves her in anyway.

“I’ll go with you, i’ll even bring my friends to make you feel better.”

“Ahh thanks Drake you are always the bright sun in my skies.”

“No problem.” I said as i walk towards the elevator. I figured that i need a break from all this work but i thought to myself it’s no big of a deal. The elevator stopped on the 4th floor where I usually work at for the past few years and I have thought about quitting for a while but this is the only place where I get paid the most. I sat down at my workplace then one of my coworkers

James walked towards my desk. James was was always that one person who can’t decide if he is a glass half full or glass half empty guy but he is mostly both sometimes. I remember one time when he accidentally put one of Laura’s flowers on fire and it was hilarious

“Hey Drake. The boss want to see you.”

“What for?”

“Don’t ask me why I don’t know anything.” It was weird to me because I rarely get called by him nor get in trouble so I didn’t really understand why but whatever. I headed to the boss’s office as I was finishing the last donut from the box, i knocked on the door a few times then i heard “enter.” I opened the door and I see my boss with a concerned look on his face when I saw him. The first thing I said to him was “hello?” He took a long, deep breath.

“Drake, you were consider one of my best employees in this company making more sales than the other companies and I have considered you as a great friend as well.” I tool a long and hard thought about what he was talking about and is he saying all of this, then I finally realized what is was really about and boy was I mad about it.

“YOU’RE FIRING ME!”

“What? No i wasn’t firing you I’m telling you th-”

“YES YOU ARE, YOU’RE FIRING ME, YOU’RE GETTING ALL SENTIMENTAL ANDSHIT”

“No Drake you are not being fired, you’re being laid off”

“It feels like i’m being fired.”

“Look if you can let me explain what is happening here. There was a huge problem in the company and that it had to be some job cuts that are happening everywhere and it’s affecting us too.”

“Seriously? You could’ve had chosen everyone else. You could have chose Layla. She barely works here, she doesn’t even be here everyday and even if she did all she really does is be at the lounge all day and eat my macaroni my mom made for me it’s total bulls**t!”

“Okay I understand how you feel about this the economy matters.”

“Oh okay i’ll give you something that matter. I quit!”

I was filled with so much anger that i rarely get angry until now. I stormed out of the bosses office to get my stuff.

“No wait we can talk things out maybe we can get you a better job.”

“Drop dead asshole!”

I got to my desk to grab my bag, my bottle and my favorite plushie one of my friends gave to me last year. I later stormed to the exit but I stopped, turned around and put my finger pointing at the bosses office and exited. I didn’t really know what’s worse, the fact that I acted out of control at him or that I went out in a very dramatic way.

I went to the bathroom and grabbed my phone see what’s going on with the news. It appeared that there is cutbacks happening all over the place. That would explain a few things but it was total BS on why is it happening to me of all people, man I need to look at the news more often.

I carried most of my stuff with Daryl carried just only my souvenirs. I didn’t really thought what am i going to do now that I don’t have a job anymore but hopefully things can work out.

“So what are you going to do now that you’re laid off?”

“Fired.”

“Whatever well anyways now that you’re out of a job you can always work with my brother at the bar. He said that people are needed anyways.”

“Thanks but no, I don’t want to deal with people or your brother.”

“But come on surely you have an idea on what are you going to do next and to be completely honest with you, that job was nothing but a dead end, well in my opinion it is.”

“Thanks but i already got it covered, I started working at the electronics store a while back i wonder if they will still take me in?”

“Hey that’s a good thing, already planning things before they even happen.”

He laughed and i giggled a little bit but I stopped at something shiny caught the corner of my eye.

“What is it?”

“Here hold this for me.” I gave Daryl my boxes and head to where i saw that flicker of light. I got closer and I saw a small box and a disc in a box.

“What is it?” Daryl said as he is clearly struggling to carry all of the boxes.

“I don’t know what it is but looks like a collective items.”

“Well take them with you, they may be worth a lot of money if you sell them.”

“I guess, men how lucky am I?”

I picked up my boxes from Daryl and continued walking to my car and for some strange reason I feel like something really bad is going to happen to me.