A Tour of Italy | Teen Ink

A Tour of Italy

March 3, 2009
By Kaitlynn GOLD, Newberry, Florida
Kaitlynn GOLD, Newberry, Florida
16 articles 0 photos 10 comments

Ciao, signors and signoras! Benvenuto a tavola Italia! Hello everyone, welcome to Italy! I'm Kaitlynn, and I'll be your tour guide for the duration of your stay. I'm also taking the liberty of teaching you some of Italy's native language -Italian- along the way. Now, follow me and we'll begin our tour.

The first people in Italy were Greek colonies in the eighth century. Now, with a population of over 59 million, Italy has the fourth-largest population in the European Union. Who would've thought that this boot-shaped peninsula could house so many people? The highest point in Italy is Monte Bianco, which stands tall at 15,577 feet, while the Po River covers over four hundred miles as it claims the title for the largest AND longest river in Italy!

The Italianos, or Italians, will make you feel right at home here, with their warm, welcoming spirits and authenticity. Italians love to play soccer; maybe you can watch a game played by Associazione Calcio Fiorentina(that's Association Soccer Fiorentina), while you're here! They're Italia's most important soccer team, having won two Italian campionatos, or championships, five Italian cups, one League Supercup, and one Winners Cup. They are very successful, and Italy is proud to be the one to have them!

Rome, the capital of Italy, is also known as the Eternal City because it has survived wars, plagues, natural disasters, and the general ravages of time. Eighteen centuries ago, Rome had a population of a million people; now, the population has swelled to over three million! Some of the other cities you will visit during your trip here are:Naples, Milan, Florence, and of course, Venice.

Venice is built on 118 small islands within a lagoon in the Gulf of Venice. A big thing in Venice is the Carnival. First recorded in 1268, the Carnevale Di Venezia is where people dress up in fancy costumes and beautiful masks to celebrate Lent. Although it was banned in the 1930s, it has since been revived and is thriving every year.

Well, that's all the time I have for today. I hope you have enjoyed your first day here, and continue to explore this wonderful country! Arrivederci, and I hope to see you soon!

The author's comments:
This is an article I wrote for Nes in a Click, the newspaper for Florida Virtual School.