Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival | Teen Ink

Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival

By ckeh15 BRONZE, La Canada, California
ckeh15 BRONZE, La Canada, California

Each year, April has consistently proven to be my favorite month of the year. This is due to a multitude of reasons: the warmer weather, the blooming flowers of Spring, and school nearing its end. But not one activity can compare my experience at this year’s Coachella Weekend One. The Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival is an annual three-day music festival that takes place the second and third weekend of April and features over 100 artists composed of both international superstars and emerging names that represent all genres of music. This year’s headliners included ACDC, Axwell ^ Ingrosso, Drake, Alt-J, and The Weeknd. In addition to those acts, some of my personal favorites included Kygo, Odesza, Vance Joy, Alison Wonderland, and Milky Chance. All ages are welcome, but the majority of those that attend are teenagers and young adults. As tradition every year, the festival is held in Coachella Valley, where music blasts nonstop from six different stages from 12pm to after 12am. People come from all over, some even by plane, to experience what it is that makes this sold out event so memorable.

Last April, I attended my first Coachella. This was the very first music festival I had ever been to and the experience completely changed my perception of music. I believe there is something special festivals provide for you; they allow you to feel the music and to live vicariously through it. So, you could say I’ve been a festival junkie ever since. Coachella is my favorite festival of the year, not only because it features such an array of diverse artists, food, and art, but mostly because all of my closest friends, from a range of age groups, never miss the opportunity to dance in the desert with each other. This year, we camped on-site. Before entering, basically every friend I knew met up at a nearby parking lot and we all caravanned into camp together. We connected and combined all nine of our campsites, creating one giant village for ourselves. 

As I entered the festival, I, of course, went in with expectations from last year. But even though people argue that this year’s lineup couldn’t compare to that of last year, my weekend went above and beyond all expectations. This year, I felt, was incomparably better than the last. This is explains why my “Coachella Withdrawals” were so intense this year, and yes, this is a real thing. Now, just thinking of the memories brings back chills. I can still specifically remember the second night of the festival when Flosstradamus performed at the Outside Stage. Immediately following them was Axwell ^ Ingrosso. I had previously seen both of these groups at the Hard Summer Music Festival last August, and both were by far my favorite performances of that weekend. Somehow, their sets were even better at Coachella. Coincidentally, my group and I ran into all the other groups from our campsite; one of these groups included my older brother. Together we created a combined group of about 30 people. Normally, because the venue is so huge and there are so many different acts to watch, it’s almost impossible to met up with everyone, let alone anyone at all. Nonetheless, for the first and only time that weekend, it seemed like every single person I knew at the festival was unified and sharing the experience together. Personally, it was an extra special moment for me because I had the opportunity to share it with my brother. I closed my eyes and smiled as he laid his arm around me and we both soaked in the music together.

I had a feeling of contentment throughout the entire weekend. This feeling reached its peak during Kygo, who was last set of the third day. I was lucky enough to have seen his set from front and center in the audience, alongside my brother. As soon as their music started to blare throughout the crowd, almost simultaneously, confetti began to rain from the ceiling. The confetti continued to fall on cue whenever the beat dropped. I remember listening to his remixes of Syn Cole’s “Miami 82” and Seinabo Sey’s “Younger,” reaching my arms into the sky, and letting the confetti fall all over me as it fell to the rhythm of the music. This was without a doubt my favorite set of the entire weekend. Now, when listening to Kygo’s music, I can’t help but close my eyes, smile, and relive the memories.

Coachella to me was like a desert wonderland. This year without a doubt triumphed my past experiences at Coachella, or any music festival for that matter. Like always, It was an experience I will never forget. I recommend this festival to all, for it is one not to be missed. Coachella teaches you a new appreciation for music and friends, and I’m grateful to have had the opportunity to share these eye-opening moments with the people I love most. It taught me that it doesn’t matter what artist you’re listening to, how close you are to the stage, or even how hot and tired you are. I learned to love the moment I was in with the people I shared it with. So, it’s safe to say I’m already marking my calendar for next April.