So, You Want to be a Young Author? | Teen Ink

So, You Want to be a Young Author?

April 26, 2015
By Theblackshadowchronicles SILVER, State College, Pennsylvania
Theblackshadowchronicles SILVER, State College, Pennsylvania
9 articles 1 photo 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Your hair is Winter fire, January embers." - Stephen King's It.


It's quite obvious that the world of literature and writing is very competitive. Most of the time, authors are crushed in the background due to it's softer edge as a pertinent career, and the hundreds of thousands of people fighting for a chance to shine in the public's eye.

 

In a perfect world, an author would have an equal chance against everyone else. Unfortunately, we live in a consumer-based world. The more merchandise, the better designer, the more quality software all goes into being an author. What if you could kick those negative impacts, and instead go the more indie, eccentric route? Well, I could give you a whole list of tips and tricks to help get your foot in the door.

 

1). As a young author myself, I found out that you have to have a thick skin. Mhm, indeed, possibly the most important part of it all. You have your haters, your lovers, and your it's-a-good-novel-to-read-when-you're-bored-er's. So what? More than likely, your debut novel isn't going to make the cut. Don't get your hopes up too much, now, you have to show people that you're serious. Be aggresive with your passion for writing!!!

2). Find people to review your novel. 

Now, this one is the hardest. Especially if you're still a high-schooler. But dig around, hope for the best, and keep sending it out. I would advise, however, that you copyright everything before you circulate your work. The safer the better. Don't go for the cheap copyright, either! I know, I know, bummer. However, I can't count how many times young authors go the cheap route, and end up paying for it in the end!

3). Do everything yourself! Here is where we seperate the lazy people from the go-getter's. If you want your novel that badly, then you will do everything on your own (exceptions could include making the cover... because software for that is absolutely outrageous!) Buy Microsoft Word (or better yet, find someone who's willing to help you out and offer their Word to you...) or, download Office 365! It's free and has online Microsoft software. Make sure to buy a thumbdrive with your novel on it, and work on it on the go! I still sneak a few paragraphs in here and there during school... Just don't let my teachers know that!

3). Can someone say, 'Publicity?'

So, you have your novel out there (whether it be an e-book, or a print copy), and you would love to have a website, and some merchandise to get your book out there. Of course, you have a shoestring budget and you're probably mooching off of your parents for most of your novel. That's okay, though, because you can give Mom and Dad a break by checking out a free blog (aka Blogspot), or find a free website builder. For cheap merchandise, hunt around for companies that specialize in bookmark making (I would suggest looking at Overnight Prints or Uprint for your bookmarks.) You can also get creative, and buy some supplies from a fabric store and make your own posters, business cards, etc.

4). Laugh it off!

Frustrated? Writer's Block? Not inspired? That's fine! The key is moderation, my friends. It's quite alright to let your novel sit for awhile and mull it over. Just don't let your fans wait too long!

I hope I've helped those of you out there in need of some assistance with your novel! Remember, it's all about balance, and grit!


The author's comments:

Being a young author, and publishing my novel at 15, I know the hardships of being a teenager with stress! Fight for what you believe in, and let know one stop your dreams!