Spain/ España | Teen Ink

Spain/ España

By MercedesJ GOLD, Salt Lake, Utah
MercedesJ GOLD, Salt Lake, Utah

"If not now, when. If not me, who?"

What’s loaded with history, people, and culture?  You guessed it: Spain.  Spain is a wondrous country located on the other side of the world.  Madrid is Spain’s capital.  Spain, also known as Espana, consists of about 195,125 square miles of land.  (505,370 square kilometers.)  The Spanish culture includes customs of eating, housing, sports, and dating.
To begin with, a large part of Spanish culture is eating.  Like in the United States, people in Spain typically consume three meals per day.  However, lunch is the largest meal of the day, and is eaten mid afternoon.  Also, in between meals, the people of Spain often chose to consume a small snack.  Identical utensils are used during meals, but function in a slightly different way.  A fork is placed in one hand, and a knife is placed in the other.  Both utensils are used throughout the meal.  The placement of the utensils signals different requests at the table.  For instance, when the fork and knife are placed on opposite sides of the plate, it signal that the person wants additional food. 
Next, housing largely contributes to Spanish culture.  In the suburbs, the majority of the homes in Spain are fairly similar, but in more populated towns; there are larger houses and mansions.  Homes are passed down generation to generation.  Unlike in the United States of America, all children in the family will legally own their parents home when they pass away. 
In addition, sports largely contribute to the people of Spain’s way of life.  The majority of athletes are not females, although both genders participate in many forms of physical activity.  Common sports include, hiking, swimming, biking walking, soccer, basketball, and fishing.  However, the most popular sport in the country is soccer.  Since many people enjoy watching soccer, events are often televised. 
Lastly, dating plays a big part in Spain.  Dating usually begins during the early teenage years.  For a while, teens hang out with a bunch of friends in public places.  Once the teens begin to become acquainted, boys and girls may begin to break apart from their group, and meet up by themselves.  Unlike in Spain’s early years, dating is rather informal.
In conclusion, food, housing, sports, and dating are a tremendous part of Spain’s interesting culture.  Spain’s culture is derived from the customs of many past generations.  It is those ways of life that shape, sculpt, and define the country of Spain.  Without the help from past generations, where would Spain be today?

España is a beautiful spanish speaking country.  I wrote this article to expand the world's knowledge of Spain.