France's National Pride | Teen Ink

France's National Pride

August 18, 2008
By katie123 PLATINUM, Frederick, Maryland
katie123 PLATINUM, Frederick, Maryland
33 articles 22 photos 13 comments

There are many things that spark French loyalty and patriotism. For example, the L' Arc de Triomphe, Napoleon Bonparte, the Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame de Paris, and finally Louis Braille. If French national pride did not exist France would be a lot different. And finally, Frances’ national pride has changed over many years.



Many people, places, and things spark French loyalty and pride. One of them is the L’ Arc de Triomphe. It is one of the most famous places to visit in France. So many people visit it that many of them get into car accidents. And the insurance companies won’t pay insurance money if you get in a crash around that area, because there were so many people wrecking their cars!!! This sparks French loyalty and patriotism because Napoleon Bonparte built it so the people would always have something to remember. Not only to remember him, but the conquests his army has achieved and his bravery in battle. Napoleon Bonparte also sparks French loyalty and patriotism because he was the emperor of France between 1796 ad 1815. He also was the man who created the L’ Arc de Triomphe. Even though he died before it was finished. This particular man sparks French loyalty and patriotism because he was very brave and his army won nearly every battle they entered. The Eiffel Tower was created in 1884 in a competition to bring more visitors to the World Expo. Gustave Eiffel, the man who designed the Eiffel Tower is the same man who made the Statue of Liberty. Even when the World Expo was over many people kept coming to France to see the Eiffel Tower. The Notre Dame de Paris is located on a little island in the Seine River. During the Roman times all of Paris was on this little island. The Notre Dame de Paris was made famous because of the book Victor Hugo wrote called the Notre Dame de Paris or in English: The Hunchback of Notre Dame. This book has been made into many films and a Walt Disney cartoon. Another very brave man, Louis Braille was in an accident when he was four. He overcame his disability and went on to write the Braille Alphabet for blind people. He became one of the most famous people in France because of this brilliant invention.

If French national pride did not exist France would be a lot different. France probably wouldn’t have as many tourists because there would be no Eiffel Tower. Plus Paris most likely would still be on the little island on the Seine River if they wouldn’t have used national pride to expand themselves. Did you know that in France 33%of people are very proud to be French also, 81% of people are very or somewhat proud, and 11% of French people are not proud to be French? Also if the French didn't have national pride than they probably would have lost all of the battles they entered.

National Pride in France has changed a lot. This has happened because Napoleon ordered the L’ Arc de Triomphe to be built in 1806 so that the French could remember not only him but the battles that his army won and how it was a very strong army and won nearly every battle it entered. This monument is a very important part of French national pride because it basically says "France". Before this monument was built there was really nothing that said "France". That is how France's national pride has changed over time.

French national pride is very important to France. France would be nothing without it. There are many things that spark French loyalty and patriotism. For example, L' Arc de Triomphe, Napoleon Bonparte, Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame de Paris, and finally Louis Braille. If French national pride did not exist France would be a lot different. And finally French national pride has changed over many years. It has improved with the building of many monuments to represent the country.