South Island's Sensational and Snowy Adventures: A Perfect Family Getaway | Teen Ink

South Island's Sensational and Snowy Adventures: A Perfect Family Getaway

November 20, 2023
By Anonymous

- The fabulous white crystal wonderland of New Zealand that turns into a movie set, Ryland

New Zealand's South Island has several amazing and action-packed activities to explore with your family or if looking to have some fun and burn off some energy with your friends. Check out these exciting activities that are perfect for energetic teens! From inside a glow stone cave to the vistas of New Zealand’s biggest mountain, Aoraki which is 12,218 feet tall. Cold chilly mountains and natural hilly landscapes are only part of the amazing adventures everyone should experience once in their lifetime. New Zealand has snow for up to six months from June to October, which makes it the perfect getaway holiday for people who love cold weather.

ETIQUETTE AND CULTURAL AWARENESS

The traditional Māori culture of New Zealand dates back to the year 1300. When the Māori people migrated from East Polynesia to what is now New Zealand. The Māori are known for their use of a special art technique called whakairo; which is a specific type of carving that they would carve into native timbers, stone, and bone.

LOCATION SETTING

If you're a teenager planning to visit New Zealand, the best ways to travel there are by plane or boat. If you choose to fly, the flight from America's capital (Washington DC) will be around 13 hours long. English is the main language spoken in the South Island, but you'll also hear Māori language, which is New Zealand's Indigenous language. The Māori’s have several unique and wonderful distractions for teens, including adventure sports such as zip lining and go-karting? They sound like a blast!

FACITILITIES

New Zealand is very well connected to the internet and mobile phone coverage with 94% of the country having reception including 5G in certain locations. There is also a vast range of providers to choose from including Spark, 2Degrees and One NZ formerly Vodafone. New Zealand is also the world's 12th largest island being 150,437 square kilometres in size. There are around 220 hospitals in New Zealand to provide everyone with a high standard of health care. If there are any injuries or sicknesses you will be taken care of and receive the best possible care. Healthcare is also free or very low-cost depending on what health care and insurance you have purchased for your visit. This makes it perfect for adventurous teens.

HISTORY OF THE AREA

The South Island was officially renamed in 2013 to Te Waipounamu. Te Waipounamu is said to be translated to ‘Waters of Greenstone’, and after a consultation with the public, it was officially changed to Te Waipounamu with the North Island also changing its name to Te Ika-a-Maui. When Te Waipounamu was discovered by Europeans, it was initially owned and ruled by Australia's New South Whales; until the 1st July 1841 when they established their own colony. New Zealand has it all when it comes to beautiful glossing landscapes, gigantic cold chilly mountains to large bright blue lakes, New Zealand will have everything you're looking for. The moment you first go down your first hill while skiing or entering your first

glow stone cave, everything you do will be a new and unforgettable experience. There will always be something new and exciting to explore and experience with family and friends.


The author's comments:

Year 8, end-of-term assessment.