Beauty Behind the Poison | Teen Ink

Beauty Behind the Poison

By julianna0521 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
julianna0521 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

The Caribbean Sea, one of the most breathtaking places I have been. A place full of wildlife just waiting to be explored, and I was ready to be one that takes advantage of that opportunity. I placed the goggles over my eyes before I jumped in and started exploring, but the instructor stopped me quickly and threw a bright orange life vest over my head. 

I took a deep breath before jumping in hoping it would help from the coolness of the icey blue water. As I hit the water my heart started racing. I was so excited to look at all the wildlife surrounding the reef that split the ocean from a calm relaxing area to the crashing waves that were farther out. 

As we headed out, the instructor pointed out many different fish, ones whose colors were just breathtaking, pink, orange, yellow, any color you could imagine. However, there was one thing I was keeping a look out for specifically, a swirly seashell to take home and remember my memories from this day. 

As I swam around on the glass like surface I saw fish, coral, and animals and plants I have never seen before. But no seashell. I was sad because our snorkeling experience was coming closer to the end as we got closer to the boat. My dad, my sisters, and I were farther ahead from everyone else with one of the instructors, and as we were about to get out of the water something caught my eye. A peach colored starfish sitting alone on the sandy floor of the ocean. But next to it, a spikey sea urchin that no one else seemed to notice as they were adoring the starfish.

As I pointed out the sea urchin, my instructor dove to the bottom and picked it up, I was in complete awe. I didn’t think we could touch them since their spikes were poisonous. However, the instructor told me this one was no longer alive so just the shell was left on the floor. He handed it to me and told me to feel lucky that I had now had a sea urchin in my hand, and I did. It was better than the shell I was trying to find. Not very many people can say they have a sea urchin, and I will forever cherish it. It is a new way to remember my family tradition of celebrating Thanksgiving in Jamaica.