My Name | Teen Ink

My Name

My name, Arjit, is one that is unique, distinctive, and hard to pronounce, at least to most people. I hate it when people are unable to pronounce my name, especially when I tell someone how to, and they still can’t. Do you know how hard it is to sit there and correct someone for the fifth time in the same day. That is why I like to think I have two names, Arjit (pronounced Ar-jet), and Arjit (pronounced Arjeet). 

When I first came to the United States, my name was the Constant source of mispronunciations, so I had to make some changes. I had to make it so that those with an American accent could pronounce it. This was the beginning of my journey at a new place. I had adopted a new personality with my new name, one that was American. I hated it at first, but soon,  with my new name, I began to watch American movies, eat American food, and make American friends. I did not ponder about this at the time, but I realized that I began to embrace my American name more than my Nepalese. I found myself even neglecting parts of my origin with this new name. When I went back and visited Nepal, it was then, I realized how powerful my true name was. I heard everyone pronouncing it as it was supposed to, which gave me pride. My name carries a profound meaning. After research, I found that Arjit means “earned”. It means “powerful” and “victorious”. It originated in India ages ago, in the language of Sanskrit. Now, I don’t think that I quite fit into all these categories, but to know that there is a rich background to my name, I had even more pride. To me, my name is great, it is more than just a set of letters. It is what lets other people know where I come from. It allows me to have a part of my roots with me at all times. It reminds me how my rich history and culture formulate my identity.  Even if others pronounce my name differently, I know what it means to me.

High schooler