Fishing in Wisconsin | Teen Ink

Fishing in Wisconsin

May 24, 2023
By odie2004 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
odie2004 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The reason I love Wisconsin is because of its nature.  Wisconsin is such a beautiful state no matter what time of year it is.  There is always something happening when I step outside.  There is so much wildlife and so many beautiful plants everywhere.  My favorite part of being in Wisconsin is fishing.  There are so many different types of fish.  All different shapes, sizes, and colors.  The dogfish with its yelping, the northern with its sharp teeth, and the tasty crappie are among my favorites.  There are also hundreds if not even thousands of places you can go fishing in Wisconsin.  Every year me and my family go up to Bass Point Wisconsin and we go fishing on Explosion Lake and Home Lake.  I look forward to it every single year.  We drive hours up there, but it's all worth it when I get to pull my rod out and run to the water.  I go fishing for hours whenever we go to the cabin.  I wake up, and go early morning crappie fishing and stay up late into the night with chicken liver on my treble and the expectation of catching a new record catfish.  


Every day after I get off work I go fishing.  I always keep my tackle and my rod in my trunk.  I found a new place to fish and I went fishing.  Some days I just drive around my beautiful state and look for lakes and ponds to fish.  I feel like there is always a place to go, always a pond to fish.  I love Wisconsin because I always have somewhere I can fish, which is amazing.  


Even when the ponds and lakes are frozen over I can go out and ice fish.  Stopping at my favorite bait shop, Musky Mike's.  Picking up snacks and bait then heading out onto the ice.  I haul my bucket, tackle, and tent out onto the ice ready to drill.  The water is so chilly but I love it.  Everything about The state I grew up in I truly love.  But fishing is what I love the most about our beautiful state.  


No matter what time of year it is in Wisconsin I can go fishing. Every year when the snow has melted and the ice is gone, I take out my kayak.  I get all geared up and take my kayak to phantom lake.  Taking my kayak off of the Jeep, I pull it to the warm water and hop in ready for an amazing day of doing my favorite things.  Whether I am swimming, fishing, or just floating around I can have fun at Wisconsin's lakes.  But once the day is over and I have to go home I still get to take a little part of my day home with me.  Once my day is over it's time to head home and start to filet my catches.  I love Wisconsin and every part about it.  It is an amazing state with so much stuff to do.  But If I could choose only one thing I could do in Wisconsin it would be to go spend my day fishing.