Tough Love of Wisconsin | Teen Ink

Tough Love of Wisconsin

By PiyaMarschalek SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
PiyaMarschalek SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

Why do I love Wisconsin? Well to be  honest I really don't. It's cold, wet, and rainy one day then sweltering hot the other. Wisconsin weather is like a person with bipolar disorder constantly changing moods never really knowing why. But it would be untrue to say that I hate everything about Wisconsin.Living in Wisconsin is a privilege I will never forget. 

I was born in an impoverished town In Thailand living in a one story house with other children that were abandoned by their parents. Some people say it's an orphanage but I like to call it an asylum. After two and a half years of yearning for a mothers and fathers love I have been adopted by these two lovely white parents. I was taken to Wisconsin living in a life of luxury for the rest of my life. 

I'm 17 now and I'm proud to say I don't have to worry anymore about when I can eat again. So yes I do hate Wisconsin but I also can't help to love it for Wisconsin has saved my life.

I have one more year in high school. I know looking back I have had many fun and exciting experiences in Wisconsin. I have two distinct memories of why I love it here. 

Number one, me and my whole family would head to Gordon Lodge in Door County WI  every two years in the beginning of summer to go see our family home. It was one huge house for all 16 cousins and 10 aunts and uncles. We would stay for about a week for our family competition of a round robin tennis match. I personally am not in it but I do have fun running around the Gordon Lodge playing in the lake with friends and family. 

Number two would be a thing we like to call “Cousin Camp'' where for a week all my cousins would stay at my house we would build tents in my backyard and sleep in them all night long in the morning we would have our classic mini boxes of cereal all trying to get one out of the two boxes of coco pebbles. they were never there tho I would always hide them for me shhhh don’t tell anyone. We would always have a theme for each cousin camp. For that theme we would do fun activities. One example would be forging for food for our viking cousin camp. In reality we just got calvers in the end but still lots of fun, and a good surprise at the end of a long hard day of forging.    

So yes I do love Wisconsin with your fast changing weather and your obsession with beer and cheese, which I hate both. I'm thankful for Wisconsin. I thank it for saving my life and giving me many friends and family I can rely on today. Thanks for giving me the security some people only wish they could  have. Thank you for saving my life. I don't know what I would be doing If I hadn't moved to Wisconsin. And Finally thank you for accepting me and my weirdness. I can assure you one thing I will never take Wisconsin for granted. I can proudly say I am a proud Wisconsin knight.