A descriptive take at this ocean painting... | Teen Ink

A descriptive take at this ocean painting...

June 17, 2022
By Anonymous

What is as ferocious as an animal on a hunt, as mystifying as the sirens from Greek Mythology, and as important as oxygen for our survival? The presence of oceans has been an essential aspect of our development as a society. From inspiring artists to create paintings like the one above to being a criterion for life in outer space, the sea is both beautiful and dangerous.

The captivating painting above shows how glamourous the sea can be with its strokes of blue and white extending into the sky and splashing waves. It's no doubt that people across the ages of time have cherished it. In fact, it serves as a popular getaway destination for people from all walks of life. Additionally, many honeymooners have had happy hours on its sandy coast, which helps make the sea a symbol of true love. The stunning scenes are the perfect setting for memories, and this notion has been utilized in the media for many years. From The Little Mermaid movies to "The Great Wave off Kanagawa" painting, the sea is always a fountain of inspiration waiting to be tapped into. Even when exploring extraterrestrial life, its presence is what we search for. However, as with most seemingly perfect things, the ocean comes armed with its own double-edged sword.

The deadliness of the ocean is often overlooked because of its breathtaking beauty, but if tempted, the ocean can become the quietest assassin. Even in the image above, the rushing waves are ready to wage war on its faithful sailors. Its frisky nature often disappears as the painted skies turn into heavy, jittering clouds of gray. In those moments, the ocean turns into a symbol of darkness as it drowns its own subjects. Additionally, it has murderous creatures, like sharks, lurking beneath its bright blue face ready to attack; this chilling phenomenon can be observed in the black spot of the sea in image 2. The dangerous singing sirens of Greek Mythology could testify to the terror-inspiring power of the sea as well. Plus, many movies are crafted around the image of a sinister sea like 47 Meters Down. The bubbling, beautiful sea has more to it than what meets the eye.

Despite its high and low tides, the ocean is most definitely an important icon known for its stunning, sometimes even scary, effect. The painting in image 2 is a testimony to its eternal nature and manages to symbolize love, ruin, and inspiration all at once. As a society, we pay our dues and respects to this great vessel of power.