Two Countries | Teen Ink

Two Countries MAG

By Nathalie Lacerda BRONZE, Ananindeua, Other
Nathalie Lacerda BRONZE, Ananindeua, Other

Moving to a different city or state may seem pretty difficult. You have to change schools, say good-bye to good friends, meet new kids, and get used to your new home. But you can always go back to that state or city to visit. Now, when you change or move to another country, that's a different story.

My parents are missionaries. My dad, who is Brazilian, is really funny and can make friends quickly. He's easy to talk to, always tries to help everyone, and is extremely outgoing. My mom, who is Swiss, is usually quiet and a bit shy. She likes to be very organized, while my dad is a specialist in procrastinating. She enjoys staying home to watch a movie or read a book, while my dad always wants to go out. Swiss and Brazilian – what a mix!

After my parents married, they moved to my mom's country, Switzerland. There they had my brother and me. When I was two, we moved to Brazil, where my sister and other brother were born. During my childhood we visited Switzerland every couple of years.

Many people ask me if I prefer to live in Brazil or Switzerland. It's really hard to answer because I love both countries. Brazil is a big country, with many states and people. There are multiple dialects and accents of Portuguese, depending on the region, and many types of foods and spices (and in my opinion, the best barbecue in the world). The people have beautiful smiles and are always happy, even if they are poor.

When you walk down the street you will always see little kids playing soccer. In the south, the climate is cool, but here in the north (where I live) it's hot and humid. Luckily, there's wonderful rain every afternoon that refreshes everything.

Switzerland, on the other hand, is small but beautiful and clean, and there's little crime. There are four languages in that tiny country (amazing, huh?). The people are very different from Brazilians; they are typically well-off, independent, responsible, and really organized, like my mom. The food is delicious; there's fondue, raclette (potatoes with melted cheese), and of course, the famous Swiss chocolate. The climate is always dry and cool.

Truly, I love both countries. But I think I prefer Switzerland. It's hard to explain, but when I go there, I feel cozy, happy, excited, and at home. When I walk down the street, everywhere I look it's just pleasant, calm, peaceful.

In a few years I will have to decide where to go to college. I don't know where I want to live – here in Brazil, Switzerland, or even the United States. But for now I am happy here, in this magnificent country, this hot Brazil.

Diana said...
on Jan. 2 2010 at 8:52 am
GOSTEI CABEÇÃO!!

what you wrote is very true, looking forward in seeing you ( my great author friend) soon again!

=)

tata12 said...
Good Job Nathalie...tht was AWESOME!

Rach96 said...
you did awesome Nathalie...you should write another article!!

Thanks again Mr. Stewart.

Thanks Mishaela :D

Thank you :D

Thank you very much

Thanks Alek :D

Thanks :D

Thank you . I guess you taught me well :]

Mrs. Stewart said...
on Jan. 1 2010 at 10:21 am
Excellent work, Nathalie! I enjoyed the positive insights into both cultures. Keep up the good work:)

Mrs. Cooley said...
on Jan. 1 2010 at 9:29 am
Awesome article, Nathalie!!!! Great job!!! Keep up the great work!

Alek93 SILVER said...
on Jan. 1 2010 at 9:12 am
Alek93 SILVER, Belem, Other
congratulations Nathalie!!! really good article :)

Ms. Gilpin said...
on Jan. 1 2010 at 8:13 am
Good for you a published author - so proud of you. What a great piece you wrote :-)

Ms Pinetree said...
on Jan. 1 2010 at 6:50 am
Very very good insights into who you are as a TCK (Third Culture Kid) - and how to deal with living between 2 very very different cultures! BTW, you're doing a great job at it!

on Jan. 1 2010 at 6:18 am
Mishaela Parker BRONZE, Benevides, Para, Other
yeah Nathalie!!!!! =) this is awesome! congrats!

Mr. Stew said...
on Jan. 1 2010 at 5:52 am
Parabens, Nathalie! I loved reading this article again. Keep on writing!