Getaway to Grenoble | Teen Ink

Getaway to Grenoble

By Amanda deBerardinis GOLD, San Diego, California
Amanda deBerardinis GOLD, San Diego, California

The exchange trip to Grenoble over spring break truly opened up the students’ eyes to the magical French culture and language. Nineteen students accompanied by Mme Kyle and Ms. Wepsic traveled to the snowy Alps capital and were greeted enthusiastically by their host families. They immediately received many warm welcomes and became absorbed in traditional and cherished French family life. Even after a long journey, it was well worth it. On Monday morning, most of the American students experienced the atmosphere of a French high school for the first time at the Lycée du Grésivaudan, which was quite different than Bishop’s. Students not only wore fashionable black coats and scarves, but many smoked in between classes in the front of the school. Classes were longer and more tedious, sometimes lasting two to three hours of strict lecture, although the hour and a half lunch was a nice midday relief. Also, each student must choose either the literature, science, or economics track through high school, specializing in those subjects, while also taking many more required classes for the Bac, the national exam. This was a unique chance to live the life of a typical French teenager.

However, to take a break from class, the group took luxurious day trips to Lyon, the second largest city in France, Annecy, a darling lake town, Pérouges, a medieval village, and Briançon, a beautiful and scenic town in the mountains. Everyone enjoyed the delicious cuisine of the region, including specialties such as duck, various potato dishes, and fromage blanc, a delectable dessert. There was free time in the afternoon to stroll down the streets, shopping in boutiques, or stopping at crepe stands. The trip was well planned and all the sights truly interested the students: the cathedrals, art museums, as well as ones pertaining to the French Revolution, the Resistance, and Grenoble history. On the weekends, students explored Mont Blanc, went skiing and snowshoeing, or participated in other activities with their exchange students and family. The American students were truly transformed after this exchange, discovering the many incredible opportunities abroad. In our world today, it is increasingly important to have a global perspective, and Bishops students should be appreciative of all the wonderful trips offered to them.

Hope_Princess BRONZE, Hebron, New Hampshire

"Hope sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible."

I wish I could see all of those places, they sound so interesting. Thank you for submitting this.

Keep writing!