Will I Make it Back? | Teen Ink

Will I Make it Back?

June 11, 2018
By Anonymous

Just thinking about that makes my knee hurt. I am so nervous for today. Today is my big day. Just then the doctor walks in, we have only been waiting for five minutes. I’m quivering I am so on edge, I am wondering if my eight weeks of hard work paid off. My phone is blowing up with texts from my teammates asking me if I will be back.

“Crack” the sharp pain goes through my knee. My team is running over to me, than the coach and trainer race out to check on me. Then I got lifted off the field in a stretcher. That was one of the worst days, I have ever had.

We have been here for ten minutes so far and the doctor is now just checking my knee. He twist and turns it, bends and straightens it too. After that, he goes over and looks at my X-rays from yesterday and the ones I got the day I broke my knee.

It now has been fifteen minutes and I am scared about what he is going to say. He says, “I am going to tell you a good thing and a bad thing. Ok you are allowed to play for the championship game, but the bad news is that you have a chance of hurting your knee again and it will be way worse. You may never get to play sports again.”

After the doctor explained the situation, I knew that I was going to have a tough choice to make. I was not paying any attention to anything else he said, I was just thinking about what I was going to do. I knew I really wanted to play in this game.

 By the time I left, I still hadn’t made my decision. I was thinking about how hard I worked to get back, but knew there was a risk that I might never play again. What will I do?