Cutting Weight | Teen Ink

Cutting Weight MAG

His heart races to the sound of the clock ticking in the background. Twenty more seconds and he has this match won. All he needs to do is hold on. His opponent meets his eyes with a look of defeat. Thump, thump … 15 … 14 … the clock ticks down the final seconds. The wrestler thinks of the final 40 minutes he ran to shed that extra half pound. A match easily won. Then he’s thrust into the air and, dumbfounded, he finds himself on the mat. The ­referee pounds his hand on the ground and he’s down for the count in a ­moment of weakness. The defeated wrestler watches his opponent raise his arm with the grin of a champion.

Wrestling requires blood, sweat, and tears, in addition to dedication and pure passion. As many wrestlers know, the preceeding story is more than a haunting tale: it’s a fear that fuels their drive to put more effort into becoming the best. Many wrestlers go to extremes to become champions, and they are recognized for their ability to drastically lose weight, known as “cutting.” Many of these pound-dropping skills aren’t just dangerous but also can be fatal, which is why wrestlers should not cut weight in the first place.

With 81 percent of wrestlers cutting weight, there are many unique methods to achieve the task. Some are ridiculous – myths of athletes shedding as many as 20 pounds in one night have been passed around the wrestling community. Wrestlers will go days drinking only a few sips of water and eating just a piece of fruit each day. Ultimately, the calories they burn during practice will be more than they’ve consumed in two days.

Not eating for that long takes a toll on the body. Wrestlers dream of food, yet many won’t eat for fear that they’ll exceed the limit of their weight class. Consequently, they account for three-quarters of male athletes with eating disorders. Eating disorders claim 300,000 lives a year. Weight cutting can lead to death.

In 1997, three college wrestlers made national headlines, dying within 33 days of each other. Coming from Michigan, North Carolina, and Wisconsin, these dedicated athletes died from the same cause: weight cutting. In all three cases, the students experienced dehydration resulting in hypothermia after they layered on clothes and did endless workouts in heated rooms. Unfortunately, they out-worked their bodies. The perspiration they produced cooled them to the point of hypothermia resulting in heart attacks and kidney failure, all common effects of extreme weight cutting.

Following these deaths, the NCAA took steps to make wrestling safer by banning cutting techniques such as training in a room hotter than 80 ­degrees, self-induced vomiting, and extensive food or fluid restrictions. Following the actions of the NCAA, even high schools have taken precautions. The NCAA requires wrestlers to take hydration tests, checks their body fat, and restricts the amount of weight they can lose. But it’s not enough; ­unscrupulous coaches will turn their heads, and some wrestlers will overlook the rules, risking their lives for their favorite sport.

Wrestlers push themselves to the limit to make weight. These athletes seek to make themselves the biggest competitor in the smallest weight class possible. This goal taunts wrestlers to cut more and more. ­Although rules have been enforced, if wrestlers are going to be protected, officials need to banish weight cutting altogether.

Risking so much for such short-lived glory is absurd. Cutting weight is unhealthy and can lead to serious complications. Athletes must be more aware of these dangers – and listen to their bodies.

Project! said...
We are going a project on cutting weight so what you guys are saying it is bad to cut weight witch leads to death

OKwrestler said...
I wrestle in high school and they make us take a hydration and weight test. The OSSA has made rules to prevent cutting weight from being unhealthy.

OK wrestling said...
The people that have died cutting weight obviously havent done it right. there is healthy ways to cut weight.. its part of the sport

pacman106 said...

Youre very right. I weigh about 120 and I plan to cut to 106. I could do this in a week, eating right and drinking water. My friend is cutting from 155 to 132 and hes 5"11 all muscle. As it can be dangerous and what not, Its a sacrifice we all wrestlers take, and By state championship, Its totally worth it. Good luck to your season bro.

"You've wondered if the pain and sacrifce was worth it; Now you know."

abnormal PLATINUM, Jonesboro, Georgia

Truth is eternal. Knowledge is changeable. It is disastrous to confuse them.

-Madeleine L'Engle

I agree with you completely.  My dad used to do wrestling and he said the coach always pushed them to be in a lower weight limit and after a big match they would pig out at McDonalds, just to realize that their stomaches have grown smaller since they haven't been feeding them.  Thankfully though, nothing life-threatening happened to him.

chiko said...

Can I Please Work For Xbox Live From Where I Live? You Can Pay Me Microsoft Points. 10,000 Microsoft Points Per Week. And If You Let Me Work For You Can I Get Gold Membership Until I'm Not Working For You Any More. PleaseI Can Moderate Xbox Live Members Messages, Voice Messages, Conversation, Or Even Their Motto. Or Any Other Positions You Put Me In. Please Let Me Work For You. Message Me On My Xbox 360 Console. Please Let Me Work For You Please.My GamerTag: agentlink10

Says Chino

punkie said...
why do this if i dont have a problem lik i think its wrong you dont see yourself pretty than that aint my problem

punkie said...
i got to this for school to boring i want to live my summer

chino said...
im doing this for school

ashrald said...
I'm so glad i've understand this article because if i don't i can't do my summer project!

ddddddddddd said...

sometimes in wrestling u kinda have to vut weight if u want to stay competve for a state tournament just cause everyone else is as well and u will be undersized

and while u can still win, when people get so much bigger than u...

ddddddd said...

thats not a lot weight to cut just saying

and by "that" i mean anything under 5

viviJR said...
viviJR, Kota Kinabalu, New York
that doesnt sound fun at all.

niga said...
not  relvant

niga said...
not relevant

TheLemonadeCrusade SILVER, Huntersville, North Carolina

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the whole world, and all there ever will be to know and understand"

actually dr. Jerry your the one who's confused- hypOthermia is when the bodys temperature drops to dangerous levels and its hypERthermia that is the body overheating

earlybird_8 BRONZE, Roberts Creek, Other

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

This is so true! I have friends who do wrestling, and they all talk about the 'loser running kids' who spend half an hour running in thick hoodies to lose enough body weight in perspiration to get into their target weight class. One of them went on a strict diet right before a tournament that was basically protein shakes and water so she could get bumped down a weight class (thankfully she went to her doctor before, to make sure she wouldn't die of starvation or anything, but still...). It's ridiculous how much pressure wrestlers are under to lose weight.

on Jun. 9 2011 at 4:33 am
deus-ex-machina14 BRONZE, Stewartsville, New Jersey

"There are two main tragedies in life. One is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it." -Oscar Wilde

Well, yes, I think we can agree it shows dedication and drive, there is no doubt about that. And I get it creates a reputation around the participant. But, should it really be required and glamorized for these young boys who are still growing to abuse their bodies so much in the process?

JoPhiCrow said...
I can agree with you one the fact that some sports are just games, but wrestling to me, is a way of finding my way to and through college, and automatically helps me respect some one more if i knew they wrestled and put their body through every discipline to succeed in their lives.

JoPhiCrow said...
That is messed up and the coach should be fired. Period. End of story. I've wrestled 8 years, and have yet to have a coach do that, and it's illegal too..