The NFL Draft | Teen Ink

The NFL Draft

May 16, 2014
By Anonymous

Every year an event rolls around called the NFL draft, where the nation's top college football prospects are selected to compete for one NFL team that chose them. You would think that this would be a very straight forward process, but the teams like to make it a lot harder on themselves and all the other teams. Every year, the prospects are evaluated by so called "experts" on every aspect of their game and colligate career. These very "experts" plan out many mock drafts saying who they think every team is going to draft, but they are rarely ever close to being correct. Teams trade their position so many times that players are drafted by teams who were never in the discussion for that player, end up drafting him. This very fact drives the "experts" crazy because they believe that either the player was drafted too high , or the team paid too much to move up. Most "experts" fail to see the upside in a player, or may just be judging him off of his production in college. While the team would have put countless hours into research and interviews with the player, knowing him inside and out.

There are several examples where a player slid down the draft including Johnny Manziel being drafted by Cleveland Browns at the 22nd spot, or where a player was taken much higher than they were rated such as Blake Bortles being drafted by Jacksonville Jaguars at the 3rd spot. There were several trades this year including Buffalo Bills trading with the Cleveland Brownsfor their pick at number 4, while giving up their 9th pick, their fourth round pick and their first round pick next year.

The true value of a player can only be valued after several years in the league. By that point, the player will either have preformed worthy of a new contract, or they may have preformed so badly that they have been released, or lost into obscurity, such as Tim Tebow, the 25th pick in the draft played in the NFL for three seasons. Tim Tebow is the player that no one wants to be in the NFL. Drafted with a high pick, played very little, traded to a different team, then gone into obscurity.

The process of a draft for talent is a very odd idea. Let me put it this way, you have thirty-two engineering companies in order from worst performing to best, and there is all of the graduating engineers to chose from but the companies choose the engineer in the order that they were placed. It seems like an awful way to get your workers, but that's how the NFL, and most other sports get their talent.

Even though it may be a very convoluted and confusing process, the NFL draft is one of the most exciting events of the NFL calendar because of its unpredictability. That trait is why people plan out mock drafts and tune in on television to watch. Over three days, the entire landscape can change with a couple picks, and that's why the draft is amazing.