The Up and Coming Sport | Teen Ink

The Up and Coming Sport

November 7, 2008
By Anonymous

This article is about the sport of table tennis or otherwise known as ping-pong. Ping-pong is what you play in the basement with the sandpaper paddles. Table tennis is a real sport that is not very popular around here. Table tennis is an intense sport that is all about speed, spin, and control. Most people play ping-pong to a score of 21 and you serve every 5 or you play rally serving. Well that’s all great, but table tennis is played best 3 out of 5 games to 11 and you alternate serves every two points. Those are the basics of the sport. There are a lot more technical rules than those. There is an organization called USA table tennis (USATT). The system is all based on a rating system going from 1 to 2400. By playing a player at a rating of 700 and you are rated 600 and win then you will gain at least 100 points. If you lose then you would only drop a few points since your opponent was higher rated than you.

The main reason I am writing this article is to increase the popularity of the sport. There are about eight thousand players with the USATT. That’s not a whole lot considering the amount of people who play baseball or football in the US. If you go to www.usatt.org you can find out a ton of information about the sport of table tennis. You can find a club in your area where you can go and learn how to play the right way.

The author's comments:
I wrote this article because I love the sport of table tennis and I want more people to learn more about the sport than just a ball over the net. I have a coach near me and I train twice a week.