The Jamican Theory | Teen Ink

The Jamican Theory

“Usain Bolt has just won his third Olympic gold and set his third world record for these Olympics!” When I watched this event and I heard the announcer say this I thought this was almost too good to be true, and that Jamaica should be tested for some new Performance Enhancing Drugs. Some well thought out reasons as to why I might think this, for instance, the fact that Usain Bolt was cocky about winning before the games started, the number of wins by Jamaica, and Jamaica history at the Olympic Games.
First, let us start off with discussing the topic of Usain Bolt. Usain Bolt is being considered one of the best athletes of all time by Olympic fans after his appearance at the 2008 Olympic Games. His great performance is one of the reasons as to why I believe he should be tested. After all, he did beat all of the world’s best athletes in the 100 meter dash, and he was already bragging before he crossed the finish line. If he had been running at full speed, he could have beaten the world by more than a couple tenths of a second. Plus, his pre-game routine was: wake up at 11:00 a.m., watch some T.V., buy some tender chicken McNuggets, go back to sleep, buy some more nuggets, and then finally go to the track. This does not seem like a healthy routine that is for someone who has trained to get to the top. Then in the 200 meter final, Usain went full out and was ahead of all the other runners by more than 20 meters, and he beat the previous world record that had been there for more than ten years. Even though Usain had 3 gold medals he wasn’t the only Jamaican winning.

There were also other Jamaicans that were earning gold’s. In many of the short distance running event in the 2008, Jamaica medaled. Including the women’s 100 meter dash where all three of the medals went to the Jamaicans, this being the first sweep since 1988. In these Olympic Games Jamaica earned six gold’s, three silver’s, and two bronze’s, in events such as the 100, 200, and the 4x100 meter relay. Jamaica set records in the women’s 200 meter, men’s 100, 200, and 4x100 meter races (en.bejing2008.com). This is extremely better than their previous Olympics.

In Jamaica’s pervious Olympics, they were not so hot. At the 2004 Athens Olympics, Jamaica was not even a contender, earning only 2 gold medals and 5 medals overall, only setting one world record in the 4x100 women’s relay(www.smh.com.aw/olympics). In the 2000 Olympics, Jamaica didn’t even get a gold medal or set a record. For the 1996 Olympics at Atlanta, Jamaica finish with a single gold medal in the women’s 400 meter hurdles, which was also an Olympic record (www.jamolympic.org/games/olympics/index.aspx.). This is why I think Jamaican athletes should be tested.

Jamaica’s performance at the 2008 Olympics was considerably better than at the other Olympics. Especially with Usain Bolt, their history at the Olympics, and the number of medals they earned this year. Even though this topic may not be thought about for many years (when tests are developed to detect drugs that just start to be used), I still would like to bring up this idea to everyone.