To Whom It May Concern | Teen Ink

To Whom It May Concern

By WingsForLily PLATINUM, Columbia, Kentucky
WingsForLily PLATINUM, Columbia, Kentucky

Think of how boring the world would be if we were all normal

To whom it may concern,

Over the past three years, I have had the honor to be impacted by my swim coach, Alishia K. She has been one of the most important people in my life, been a mentor, a friend and has written me more letters of recommendation than I can count. Therefore, I only find it appropriate to write one for her.

Three years ago, without a single ounce of aquatic knowledge, I was asked to start training with the local college swim team. I had been swimming from a very young age, but I had never swum competitively, nor had I ever trained a day in my life. If anyone was ever to see me swim they would know I am not a natural athlete. However, everyday coach shows me the same amount of respect and pushes me just as hard as her most seasoned athletes.

Coming in as a sophomore in high school, I was astounded not only with her kindness to me, but by the amount of work she expected from me. She is extremely hard to swim for. She expects high yardage, your hardest work, a positive attitude, and respect for the other swimmers. Juggling this, along with school and extracurricular, has made high school stressful, hectic, and one of the best experiences of my life. She has given me a family, so tightly bound that everyone, from the lone high school student to the graduating seniors, that we are going to stay connected for life.

Coach is determined to make you the best individual possible in all aspects of life. Her high expectations drive you, not only put your best foot forward in the pool, but also in academics as well. She has an incredible talent to prove to you that you can always be better, always try harder, and no matter what other think, you are a powerful and good person. She has put her time into the pool, knows her information and is constantly working to better the program.

I would not be half the person I am without her. She has given me so much, hope, purpose and determination that would be absent in my life if not for her mentor ship. I hold her in the highest regards and cannot wait to start me college career with her to guide me.

FreeLOTR SILVER, Aurora, Indiana

"The biggest thing that man desires is power." -J.R.R. Tolkien.

Fantastic article!!! I myself had a similar experience to yours. It takes a good coach to be able to train someone in those kinds of situations with a posiive attitude while believing and valuing all their swimmers the same.