The Mistake | Teen Ink

The Mistake

If I could go back in time and fix it, I would change that unlucky wrestling match. I was going to wrestle on Tuesday night, it was my turn to go on the mat. I ran through the tunnel of hands and went over to the table to sign in. I saw my opponent, Mitch, do the same routine as I did. I knew he was as nervous as I was because he was all pale looking.

When we got out to the center of the mat the referee said, “Shake hands.” I shook Mitch’s hand and then the referee blew his whistle. He said, “Wrestle!” and that’s when I felt the stinging sensation in my lower abdominals. I had to use the bathroom. As the match progressed, I found out that I couldn’t wrestle my best because of the urge and the aches coming from my bladder, taunting me! It felt like each move was becoming more painful. At one point, he had cross-faced me and rolled me onto my back by grabbing one of my legs and jamming it toward my chin. I couldn’t stand it any longer, the bladder had taken over. He racked up enough points to win. If I could change it, I would go back in time and use the bathroom so I would wrestle better and not feel so uncomfortable while wrestling and damage my kidneys!

I could have not drunk the water before wrestling, but then I wouldn’t feel that great because I wouldn’t have any liquids in my system. I think the best thing for the situation would have been to pee before the match.

Of course, life doesn’t work that way, so I’ll have to be smarter the next time I wrestle.