Field Hockey | Teen Ink

Field Hockey

October 3, 2007
By Anonymous

Field hockey is a tough sport. Many people underestimate the power and strength a field hockey player has. Long practices, six days a week, the incredible stamina each girl has in order to run four to six miles during a game, sprinting up and down the field and feeling as if your lungs can’t take in any more oxygen. Your legs feel like they are made out of the Jell-o your mom made for you for the night before. Your coach keeps blowing her whistle, indicating to continue to sprint the length of the field. It’s tough, but you keep on going.
“Why?” Because, you love being on the team. The certain connection you have with each girl. The stupid nicknames you all have, and the inside jokes. The excitement you all feel after winning a game, or sadness after a horrible defeat. But no matter how you feel or how many sprints you’re doing, you know that you’re not alone. You’re with your team, together, one of the greatest feelings in the world. Knowing that without you, somehow, the team wouldn’t be complete. You feel as though each person contributes her own strength to the team, even though it might come with a weakness. That is why you continue to keep playing, on the team, together.