Last Second Launch | Teen Ink

Last Second Launch

January 11, 2010
By Connor Wilcox GOLD, Sussex, Wisconsin
Connor Wilcox GOLD, Sussex, Wisconsin
13 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Brett Favre may be turning 40 October 10th, but he proved September 27th during a Vikings game against the San Francisco 49ers that he can still play like he’s young again.

In the first quarter the Vikings got on the scoreboard first with a 30 yard pass touchdown and happened to be the only score of the quarter. The 49ers stepped up their offense and dominated the second quarter with an early 5 yard touchdown and returned a Ryan Longwell field goal for a touchdown with 6 seconds left to end the first half. The Vikings had also scored 6 points the second quarter by 2 long field goals by Longwell, but the 49ers still held the lead with the score of 14-13

The Vikings started to struggle early in the third quarter with a Favre interception that was returned for a field goal, and with very little offensive help. They had not scored until the the 101 yard touchdown on the punt return from Viking’s wide receiver Percy Harvin to give Vikings control of the score 20-17.

It all came down to the fourth quarter. It started with a 49ers 20 yard pass touchdown to put them back up by 3. Then the Vikings had 1.29 left on the clock and had one last chance to steal the game away. They received the ball on the Vikings 20 yard line and they were able to get up to the 49ers 32 yard line. With 12 seconds left Favre snapped the ball out of the shotgun formation scrambled, dodged a few defenders, and then threw a 32 yard bullet to receiver Greg Lewis in the back of the end zone to give the Vikings the win 27-24. The play was challenged if Lewis had possession of the ball with two feet inbounds and instant replay showed he had and the play was upheld.

Favre had not known that the ball was caught until a teammate picked him up and started cheering, nor had Favre known who he had even thrown to. Jared Allen reported to ESPN about his thoughts during the game and said, “Be Brett. One time. Just be Brett.” “It's hard to even recall all of 'em. This one was pretty special,” said Favre to ESPN, who has the most game winning drives in 4th Quarter or overtime with 40. Favre ended the game with two touchdowns and 301 passing yards.

After the game Favre said that he was already over it and had moved on to prepare for next week where they will play his former team the Green Bay Packers. This Monday game is highly anticipated and should be a bitter fight to take the NFC north lead.

The author's comments:
This article was about a lest second win by my former favorite quarterback.