The Garden State Or The Bronx | Teen Ink

The Garden State Or The Bronx MAG

By Anonymous

   The Garden State or The Bronx

by M. S., Lincoln Park, NJ

As I sat reminiscing in an upper deck seat on a chilly, overcast night at Yankee Stadium, "The House that Ruth Built," as the "Bronx Bombers" took on their longtime rivals, the Boston Red Sox, I remembered "the good old days" of coming to the ballpark. On a gorgeous summer evening or afternoon it was fun watching the pinstripes in action and their triumphant comebacks in the bottom of the ninth inning with two outs and the bases jammed and anticipating a big game-winning hit to come, and it always did.

The "good old days" brought the sumptuous aroma of freshly-cooked ballpark franks, which caused anyone to eat at least two or three. No one could resist the aroma of peanuts or a real New York City pretzel, hot off the grill outside the park along with plenty cups of cola. The shrill cry of "Get your hot dogs here!" could be heard in that strong New York City accent, which occasionally became monotonous and annoying. The fan fight cannot be forgotten. Every game had one. Despite these disruptions, the game remained worthy of attendance. Those who left during the eighth inning missed out on some high-intensity baseball.

Now as I attend games, I wonder where I'll be sitting next year, hoping eagerly that it will be in the Bronx, in the very same, original, historical and beloved ballpark. I just can't grasp the idea of a new stadium. Even taking into account the advantages such as more readily available and efficient parking space, reduced traffic and more affordable tickets, I remain loyal to the Bronx location. Maybe I'm just a stubborn Yankee fan who doesn't want to comply with my fellow New Jerseyans, but it doesn't bother me. On the other hand, readers are not forced to listen to my nonsense. Remember, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.