New Stadium, New Team | Teen Ink

New Stadium, New Team MAG

This may not be the Year of the Bear in the Chinese calendar, but in Boston there is no doubt in anyone's mind that it is the Year of the Bruins. Many people (including me) think that with the new acquisitions, the Bruins are a Stanley Cup contender.

These new acquisitions are the most dramatic changes in the NHL. Some include 50-goal scoring, All Star Kevin Stevens and future star Shawn McEachearn from the Pittsburgh Penguins. Some people are even calling them the Boston Penguins. The Bruins also traded for Hell's Kitchen native (also highest American point getter). Joey Mullen and a hard-nosed hustler named Peter Taglianetti. They also made another key move by firing manager Brian Sutter and hiring former Bruin, Steve Kasper, to manage the Cup contender.

The Bruins seem to be focusing on the word "new." A new stadium, new players, and even new uniforms. These uniforms are similar to the old but with new designs on the sleeves. The Bruins are joining the trend of special occasion jerseys. The shirts are yellow with a brown Bruin head on the front.

Even though the Bruins are following the concept of "new," there will still be some familiar faces on the ice. Ray Bourque can still be found wearing number 77, and Cam Neely will still be delivering the goals. This team may not be the Bruins of old but will soon become household names.

The Fleet Center may not have the memories of the old Garden, but to the fans and players they will feel right at home. l