Don’t Call It Frisbee | Teen Ink

Don’t Call It Frisbee MAG

Physical activity can be strenuous, which can in turn make it not enjoyable. But it is necessary for good physical and mental health. The solution: disc golf.

Disc golf is a non-strenuous, non-contact game, but it does provide a rejuvenating experience for people of all ages. This game is easy to learn and play, easy on the body, and easy on your wallet. It also can be played almost anywhere.

The object is to shoot your disc into the basket in as few shots as possible. You can accomplish this using many types of shots and discs. Some discs are specially created to fly far, fly accurately, turn to the left, turn to the right, or stay stable in the wind.

After you have chosen the correct disc, you can perform a plethora of shots. To begin, you must decide whether to throw forehand or backhand, then you can drive (very long throw), putt (short throw to the basket), hyzer or anhyzer (bend to the left or right depending on what technique you use to throw), elevator (to get over trees, straight up and down), scooby (to go under trees), roller (to go through heavily wooded areas), and many others.

Despite this game being non-contact, it still has a decent amount of physical activity. Depending on the type of course you play, you could be walking long distances or over hilly terrain. This type of aerobic exercise is very healthy, and combined with the natural beauty of the outdoors, disc golf is very rewarding.

The game of disc golf is also not hard on your wallet. Golf clubs can cost from $60 to $200 each, but a disc usually won’t run any higher than $15. Also, instead of paying $50 to $100 to play at a golf course, most disc golf courses are free, and if not, they are extremely cheap ($2 to $5). If you are an adventurous person, you can make up your own course, using random objects as baskets. Due to the wayward places the discs tend to land, every shot is different, making each an experience that never gets old.

You can play disc golf almost anywhere, with as many people as you want. The equipment comes at dirt-cheap prices, and the courses are never the same. So, what are you waiting for? Let the fun begin!