The Trout 24 | Teen Ink

The Trout 24

By SethFrendel GOLD, New City, New York
SethFrendel GOLD, New City, New York

"Never be comfortable with just good enough."- Ray Lewis.

Picture this: It’s June 9, 2009. Owners and general managers from across Major League Baseball have all met at the MLB Network Studios in Secaucus, New Jersey for the 45th annual Major League Baseball Amateur Draft. That year’s draft would be the first-ever televised MLB Draft, and the league invited all of the potential first-round selections to the event for fans of teams to see the possible future of their franchises. However, only one player that was drafted that night showed up to hear his name be called in person. He wasn’t the 1st overall pick, he wasn’t even one of the first 20 selections that night, but he eventually got the call that would change his life forever. With the 25th pick in the first round of the 2009 MLB First-Year Player Draft, the Los Angeles Angels selected Michael Nelson Trout, a 19-year-old center fielder out of Millville Senior High School in Millville, New Jersey. Since his debut in the major leagues in 2011, Mike Trout has become a 9x All-Star, American League Rookie of the Year, 2x All-Star Game MVP, was the AL stolen base leader in 2012, the AL RBIs(Runs Batted In) leader in 2014, has hit for the cycle(hit a single, double, triple, and a home run throughout a single game), won the Fielding Bible in 2012, joined the 30-30 club(30 home runs and 30 stolen bases in a single season) in 2012, won the Wilson Defensive Player of the Year Award in 2012, is a 2x AL Hank Aaron Award winner(given to the player voted as the best hitter in the American League and the National League), and 8x Silver Slugger Award recipient, a 2x All-MLB First Team member, and a 3x American League MVP. How was this kid not the 1st overall pick?! There must have been much better guys taken before Trout, right? If one would think that, that person would be drastically erroneous. The majority of the players drafted ahead of Mike Trout either became career role players or never even made it to the big leagues. Who were these ballplayers you might ask? Well, let’s take a deep dive into “The Trout 24”...

The Picks

With the 1st Pick, the Washington Nationals Select…

Stephen Strasburg, a right-handed starting pitcher from San Diego State University. This pick came as a surprise to nobody, as Strasburg was the consensus 1st overall pick heading into the draft. During his freshman year at SDSU, Strasburg held opposing batters to a .141 batting average against and was named Co-Freshman of the Year for the Mountain West Conference. As a sophomore, Strasburg won 8 games and lost only 3 for the Aztecs, with a 1.58 ERA(Earned Runs Allowed) and 134 strikeouts. On April 11 of that year, he struck out a Mountain West Conference record 23 batters against the University of Utah. During his junior season, Strasburg went 13-1 with a 1.32 ERA and 195 strikeouts. On May 8, 2009, he threw his first college no-hitter against the Air Force Falcons. Strasburg was awarded the Dick Howser Trophy and the National Pitcher of the Year Award for his efforts that season. Since joining the Nationals in 2010, Stephen Strasburg has been a National League wins and strikeouts leader, a 3x All-Star, pitched an immaculate inning(struck out three batters on nine pitches) on July 3, 2019, has won a Silver Slugger Award, was an All-MLB First Team member in 2019, and won the 2019 World Series with the Nationals. The Washington Nationals have gotten what they have expected from Stephen Strasburg, but Strasburg isn’t Mike Trout.

With the 2nd Pick, the Seattle Mariners Select…

Dustin Ackley, a second baseman and outfielder from the University of North Carolina. In his freshman year at Chapel Hill, Ackley led the nation with 119 base hits, 296 at-bats, and 73 games played. He accumulated a .402 batting average and his 74 runs scored set a UNC freshman record. He was named the National Freshman of the Year for his efforts during the 2007 college baseball season. Ackley hit .417 on the season along with a school record of 82 runs scored, 7 home runs, 51 RBIs, and 19 stolen bases during his sophomore campaign with the Tar Heels in 2008. As a junior, Dustin Ackley carried a .399 batting average with 20 home runs and became just the second player in UNC Baseball history to record 300 hits and 200 home runs scored for the program. Ackley earned All-America honors for the second consecutive season and was named the Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Player of the Year. Dustin Ackley competed in the MLB for only five seasons, accumulating a less than mediocre .241 career batting average with 46 home runs and 216 RBIs. It is safe to say that Ackley peaked in college, and the Seattle Mariners are now disappointed with this selection, knowing that they had a chance to pick Mike Trout.

With the 3rd Pick, the San Diego Padres Select…

Donavan Tate, a center fielder from Cartersville High School in Cartersville, Georgia. Tate’s professional baseball career was cut short due to injuries. In his first two seasons playing on a minor league affiliate team for the Padres, Tate underwent surgery for a sports hernia, broke his jaw, and sprained his shoulder. Not to mention, he also received treatment for substance abuse. The Padres released Tate following the 2015 MLB regular season, and Tate signed with the Los Angeles Dodgers before the start of the 2016 season. Donavan Tate’s injury-riddled professional baseball career came to an end after six seasons, though he never played above Class A-Advanced Minor League Baseball. He last played for the Rancho Cucamonga Quakes before being released by the Dodgers after the 2016 regular season. Tate never developed into an average ballplayer, and the San Diego Padres, looking back at the 2009 draft, are now full of frustration because they had chosen the wrong center fielder.

With the 4th Pick, the Pittsburgh Pirates Select…

Tony Sanchez, a catcher from Boston College. Sanchez established himself as one of the most prolific power hitters in Boston College Eagles Baseball history. His 24 home runs rank fifth all-time for the program, drove in 124 runs, had 202 base hits, and tallied 125 runs scored. In 2009, before being drafted, Tony Sanchez ranked eighth in the Atlantic Coast Conference in runs scored with 63, ninth in home runs with 14, 16th in batting with a .346 batting average, and 17th in total base hits with 79 that season. On the defensive, Sanchez caught opposing baserunners trying to steal bases 19 times, which led the ACC that year. Sanchez was a finalist for the Johnny Bench Award in 2009, an award given to the best catcher in all of College Baseball, was named to the 2009 Louisville Slugger All-America Third Team, and was voted to be a member of the All-ACC First Team. Surely this high level of play would carry over into the big leagues, right? Unfortunately for Sanchez, he was out of the majors after just four seasons, recording a lackluster .257 career batting average, a measly 4 home runs, and 18 RBIs. The Pittsburgh Pirates left the 2009 MLB Draft, happy with their top pick. Today, they sit thinking about what could have been.

With the 5th Pick, the Baltimore Orioles Select…

Matt Hobgood, a right-handed starting pitcher from Norco High School in Norco, California. As a junior, Hobgood had a perfect season, going 11-0 on the year. The following year, he had an 11-1 record with a 0.92 ERA and 101 strikeouts. Hobgood was a stud on the offensive as well, as he hit for a .475 batting average, 21 home runs, and 55 RBIs as a senior. In 2009, Hobgood was named as the Gatorade National Baseball Player of the Year, an honor bestowed upon the best high school baseball player in the country. His high level of play caught the attention of the Baltimore Orioles front office, and he was drafted in 2009. Hobgood began his professional baseball career with the Bluefield Orioles, posting a 1-2 win/loss record and a not-so-stellar 4.72 ERA in 8 games played. He was absent during the 2012 season to undergo surgery to repair a loose shoulder capsule. In 2015, Hobgood was let go of by the Orioles and hasn’t played professional baseball ever since then. During the 2010s, the Baltimore Orioles only made it to the postseason three times, but they would have gone plenty of more times, if only they had taken Mike Trout 5th overall in 2009.

With the 6th Pick, the San Francisco Giants Select…

Zack Wheeler, a right-handed starting pitcher from East Paulding High School in Dallas, Georgia. In his junior year, Wheeler had an 8-3 win/loss record, accompanied by a 1.31 ERA and 127 strikeouts. He was named the Georgia High School Association 4A Region Pitcher of the Year for his high level of play that season. As a senior, Wheeler set a school record with 149 strikeouts, along with a perfect 9-0 record and a 0.54 ERA. That season, he was named the Gatorade Georgia Player of the Year. In addition to his pitching prowess, Wheeler carried a hot bat on the offensive end, as he had a .280 batting average as a designated hitter during his senior year. Zack Wheeler is one of the few draftees selected ahead of Mike Trout who has enjoyed a nice career in the majors. Throughout an 8 year career, Wheeler has pitched for the Giants, the New York Mets, and the Philadelphia Phillies. As of today, Wheeler’s achievements include a 62-50 win/loss record, a 3.51 ERA, and over 1,000 strikeouts. In 2021, he was named to his first All-Star Game and finished the season as the National League strikeouts leader. Zack Wheeler has enjoyed a respectable career as a major league pitcher, but the San Francisco Giants made a giant mistake by taking Wheeler over Trout. 

With the 7th Pick, the Atlanta Braves Select…

Mike Minor, a left-handed starting pitcher from Vanderbilt University. During his collegiate career pitching for the Commodores, Minor was a Collegiate Baseball Freshman All-American in 2007, was named to the Southeastern Conference(SEC) All-Freshman Team, was the SEC Freshman of the Year, and was named to the All-SEC Second Team in 2007. In both his junior and senior seasons, Minor was a member of the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association Second Team Preseason All-America Team, and in 2009, he was a Louisville Slugger Second Team Preseason All-American. In his 11 year MLB career, Mike Minor has been on the Braves, the Kansas City Royals, the Texas Rangers, and the Oakland Athletics. He has collected 79 wins and 78 losses, a 4.11 ERA, and 1,200 strikeouts, as well as being an All-Star in 2019. When the Atlanta Braves took Mike Minor with the 7th pick in 2009, they made a major mistake by not taking Mike Trout.

With the 8th Pick, the Cincinnati Reds Select…

Mike Leake, a right-handed starting pitcher from Arizona State University. As a freshman for the Sun Devils, Leake provided a 13-2 record, a 3.69 ERA, and an ASU freshman record 94 strikeouts in 2007. His playing skills were acknowledged by an All-Pac-10 First Team selection, a Third Team All-American selection, and a First Team Freshman All-American selection. Leake picked up from where he had left off at the end of his freshman campaign in the following season, posting an 11-3 record and a 3.49 ERA. That season, Leaked reached 20 collegiate wins, becoming one of just nine players to do so in Sun Devils Baseball history. To go along with his high level of pitching, Leake sported a .340 batting average as a sophomore with 2 home runs and 11 RBIs. He was named as the Pac-10 Pitcher of the Year and was named to the All-Pac-10 First Team for the second year in a row. Leake was unhittable in his junior season. He went 16-1 with a 1.71 ERA and 162 strikeouts, whilst limiting the opposition to a .193 batting average. That season, he eclipsed 40 career wins, which tied him for the third-most in school history. Leake once again won the Pac-10 Pitcher of the Year Award, along with a unanimous First Team All-American selection, and won the National Pitcher of the Year Award. Throughout his 11 year MLB career, Leake has a record of 105 wins and 98 losses, a 4.05 ERA, and 1,230 strikeouts. He has been a member of the Reds, the San Francisco Giants, the St. Louis Cardinals, the Seattle Mariners, and the Arizona Diamondbacks. Mike Leake won his sole Gold Glove Award in 2019. The Cincinnati Reds were left blushing with embarrassment years after the draft in the wake of witnessing the generational talent that is Mike Trout.

With the 9th Pick, the Detroit Tigers Select…

Jacob Turner, a right-handed starting pitcher from the Westminster Christian Academy in St. Louis, Missouri. Whilst playing in high school, Turner compiled a win/loss record of 20-4 and tallied 187 strikeouts. Turner was a certified flamethrower at WCA. He was already throwing baseballs at 91 mph as a freshman, and by the time he was a senior, he could throw 98 mph. However, this once-promising young talent fell flat on his face in the big leagues, accounting for a pathetic 14-31 win/loss record, a 5.37 ERA, and just 236 strikeouts. In 7 seasons, Turner has pitched for the Tigers, the Miami Marlins, the Chicago Cubs, the Chicago White Sox, and the Washington Nationals. It would be a safe bet to say that the Detroit Tigers wish they had taken Mike Trout with the 8th pick in 2009.

With the 10th Pick, the Washington Nationals Select…

Drew Storen, a right-handed relief pitcher from Stanford University. In two seasons pitching for The Cardinal, Storen went 12-4, sporting a 3.64 ERA with 116 strikeouts and 15 saves. Storen was named to the All-Pac-10 Conference First Team in both of his seasons at Stanford. Since being called up to the show in 2010, Storen has been called on for pitching relief by the Nationals, the Toronto Blue Jays, the Seattle Mariners, and the Cincinnati Reds. In 7 seasons, he has a record of 29 wins and 18 losses, a 3.45 ERA, 417 strikeouts, and 99 saves. The Washington Nationals now look back at the 2009 draft in disbelief about how they passed up on Mike Trout not once, but twice.

With the 11th Pick, the Colorado Rockies Select…

Tyler Matzek, a left-handed starting pitcher from Capistrano Valley High School in Mission Viejo, California. As a senior, Matzek had an outstanding 0.97 ERA along with 102 strikeouts. He led his team to the California Interscholastic Federation(CIF) championship while earning the CIF Orange County Player of the Year Award. Matzek wouldn’t make his major league debut until 2014, five years after being drafted. In 7 years of playing professional baseball for the Rockies and the Atlanta Braves, Matzek has collected 12 wins and 19 losses, accompanied by a 3.51 ERA and 225 strikeouts. By taking Tyler Matzek with the 11th pick, the Colorado Rockies became the 11th team to regret not taking Mike Trout.

With the 12th Pick, the Kansas City Royals Select…

Aaron Crow, a right-handed starting pitcher from the University of Missouri. Crow pitched three great years for the Tigers, going 23-8 with a 3.27 ERA and 277 strikeouts. As a freshman, he spent time in both the bullpen and the starting rotation and led Mizzou to an NCAA Regional championship. In his sophomore campaign, Crow earned All-Big 12 First Team honors by posting a 9-4 win/loss record and a 3.60 ERA. Aaron Crow dominated in his junior year, going a flawless 13-0 with a 2.35 ERA, while also pitching four complete-game shutouts. He was rewarded with the Big 12 Pitcher of the Year Award after that season. Aaron Crow had a short three-year MLB career, in which he had a 20-11 record with a 3.43 ERA and 208 strikeouts. He made his lone All-Star appearance in 2011 for the Royals. The Kansas City Royals royally screwed up by not drafting Mike Trout 12th overall in 2009.

With the 13th Pick, the Oakland Athletics Select…

Grant Green, a shortstop from the University of Southern California. As a true freshman, Green had a .316 batting average with 72 hits, 2 home runs, 24 RBIs, and stole 6 bases for the Trojans in 2007. He collected numerous postseason honors, including being named as the Pacific-10(Pac-10) Conference Co-Freshman of the Year. The following season as a sophomore at USC, Green displayed a .390 batting average with 80 hits, 9 home runs, 46 RBIs, and 10 stolen bases. He was named as a member of Baseball America’s All-American Third Team, as well as collecting All-Pac-10 Conference honors for his playing endeavors that season. Green continued with his elite level of play as a junior, affixing a .374 batting average with 79 hits, 4 home runs, 32 RBIs, and 16 stolen bases. In just four total seasons as the middleman for the Athletics, the Los Angeles Angels, the San Francisco Giants, and the Washington Nationals, Grant Green had a subpar .248 batting average with 82 hits, 4 home runs, 38 RBIs, and only 1 stolen base. By not taking Mike Trout, the Oakland A’s 2009 draft grade was an F.

With the 14th Pick, the Texas Rangers Select…

Matt Purke, a left-handed starting pitcher from Klein High School in Klein, Texas. Purke was regarded as one of the premier pitchers in high school baseball. In his junior year, he accounted for a 12-1 win/loss record with a 0.37 ERA. With pitch speeds at 92 mph, Purke went 4-2 with a 1.81 ERA as a senior. Heading into the 2009 draft, Purke was drawing comparisons to 2x American League Cy Young Award winner Johan Santana. However, Purke elected not to sign with the Rangers when he was selected 14th overall in 2009, and instead enrolled at Texas Christian University to play collegiate ball for the TCU Horned Frogs. Purke was eventually drafted by the Washington Nationals in the third round of the 2011 MLB Draft after pitching at the collegiate level for two seasons. Matt Purke pitched a total of 12 major league ball games after being derailed by Tommy John surgery in Washington, entering the free-agent market, and finally signing with the Chicago White Sox in 2016. Purke’s MLB résumé is compiled of no wins and 1 loss, a 5.50 ERA, and 15 strikeouts. The Texas Rangers walked out of the 2009 draft empty-handed, but they could have grasped onto the player of a lifetime if they had taken Mike Trout with the 14th pick.

With the 15th Pick, the Cleveland Indians Select…

Alex White, a right-handed starting pitcher from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. As a freshman for the Tar Heels, White’s record was 6-7 with a 4.94 ERA and 83 strikeouts. He followed up that season by going 13-3 with a 2.83 ERA and 113 strikeouts in his sophomore year. In his junior year, White won 8 games and lost 4 with a 3.87 ERA and 121 strikeouts. Unfortunately, Alex White only played for a single season in the MLB. Whilst pitching for the Indians(now the Guardians) and the Colorado Rockies, White recorded 5 wins and 13 losses with a 6.03 ERA and 101 strikeouts. The Cleveland Indians were now the 15th team to make one of the biggest mistakes in the history of Major League Baseball by not drafting Mike Trout.

With the 16th Pick, the Arizona Diamondbacks Select…

Bobby Borchering, a third baseman from Bishop Verot High School in Fort Myers, Florida. In his junior and senior years of high school competition, Borchering had a .255 batting average with 162 hits, 17 home runs, and 85 RBIs. Lamentably, Bobby Borchering would never play above AA Minor League Baseball. Luckily for the Diamondbacks, they owned the 17th pick in the draft, which meant that they were given a second chance to draft the future all-time great who was still waiting to be picked.

With the 17th Pick, the Arizona Diamondbacks Select…

A.J. Pollock, an outfielder from the University of Notre Dame. Pollock led the Fighting Irish with a .372 batting average as a freshman along with 73 hits, 3 home runs, 28 RBIs, and 11 stolen bases. He was named as a Freshman All-American that year. As a sophomore, Pollock had a .352 batting average with 76 hits, 4 home runs, 42 RBIs, and 28 stolen bases. That year he was a member of the All-Big East Conference First Team. In his junior season, Pollock once again led the Fighting Irish with a .365 batting average, accompanied by 88 hits, 10 home runs, 52 RBIs, and 21 stolen bases. Pollock has enjoyed a solid major league career, primarily as a center fielder, for the Diamondbacks and the Los Angeles Dodgers. In 9 seasons, he has a .281 batting average with 890 hits, 126 home runs, 414 RBIs, and 119 stolen bases. Pollock has made only one All-Star appearance, won a Gold Glove Award in 2015, and won the 2020 World Series with the Los Angeles Dodgers. With two consecutive first-round picks in 2009, the Arizona Diamondbacks wrongfully chose not to go fishing for Trout.

With the 18th Pick, the Florida Marlins Select…

Chad James, a left-handed starting pitcher from Yukon High School in Yukon, Oklahoma. As a junior, James’ record was 5-10 with a 5.12 ERA and 105 strikeouts. His senior year statistics include a 5-15 win/loss record with a 3.80 ERA and 124 strikeouts. Chad James’ professional career can best be summarized as an abundance of mistakes, as he was suspended on three separate occasions for the use of illegal amphetamines. He had a win/loss record of 22-44 with a 4.52 ERA and 425 strikeouts in the minor leagues, however, he would never play a game above the AA level. Florida(now Miami) went on to deeply regret their first-round draft choice, as the Marlins were without Trout.

With the 19th Pick, the St. Louis Cardinals Select…

Shelby Miller, a right-handed starting pitcher from Brownwood High School in Brownwood, Texas. As a sophomore, Miller threw a no-hitter and led his team to the regional semifinals. In his junior season, he tossed three consecutive no-hitters, one of them being a perfect game(prevented the opposing team from reaching base by any means). Miller’s senior campaign was highlighted by a win/loss record of 10-2 with a 1.90 ERA and 153 strikeouts. A power pitcher, as exemplified by a 97 mph fastball, Miller drew comparisons to Major League Baseball’s all-time career strikeouts leader, Nolan Ryan heading into the draft. As of his debut in 2012, Shelby Miller has played for the Cardinals, the Atlanta Braves, the Arizona Diamondbacks, the Texas Rangers, the Chicago Cubs, and the Pittsburgh Pirates. Throughout a 9 year career, Miller carries a record of 38 wins and 57 losses to his name, as well as a 4.19 ERA and 630 strikeouts. Miller appeared in his only All-Star Game in 2015. The St. Louis Cardinals fan base still chirps at their front office for not drafting Mike Trout in 2009.

With the 20th Pick, the Toronto Blue Jays Select…

Chad Jenkins, a right-handed relief pitcher from Kennesaw State University. As a freshman for the Owls, Jenkins posted a 2-3 while accumulating a 4.02 ERA and 44 strikeouts. In his sophomore season, he had a .500 record, going 5-5 with a 3.96 ERA and tallied 78 strikeouts. Jenkins had a breakout junior season, going 8-1 with a 2.54 ERA and 98 strikeouts, which earned him the Atlantic Sun Conference Pitcher of the Year Award. Chad Jenkins played for just three seasons in the MLB with the Blue Jays, going 3-4 with a 3.31 ERA and 51 strikeouts. However, he failed to record a single save. St. Louis’ front office wasn’t the only one getting ridiculed by their fans, as the Toronto Blue Jays’ front office joined the Cardinals just a pick later by not drafting Mike Trout 20th overall.

With the 21st Pick, the Houston Astros Select…

Jiovanni Mier, a shortstop from Bonita High School in La Verne, California. As a junior, Mier flaunted a .276 batting average with 53 hits, 7 home runs, 32 RBIs, and 10 stolen bases. In his senior year, he compiled a .235 batting average with 116 hits, 2 home runs, 53 RBIs, and 15 stolen bases. Mier was drafted primarily because of his excellent fielding abilities, as he exhibited an average fielding percentage at around .950 throughout his high school career. However, Mier’s big league career never saw the light of day, as AAA ball would be the ceiling of his professional career. The Houston Astros probably wouldn’t have had to bang on trash cans to win a World Series title, if only they had taken Mike Trout in 2009.

With the 22nd Pick, the Minnesota Twins Select…

Kyle Gibson, a right-handed starting pitcher from the University of Missouri. As a freshman for the Tigers, Gibson tallied an 8-3 win/loss record with a 4.12 ERA and 77 strikeouts. His playing gradually improved during his sophomore season, as he finished the year going 9-4 with a 3.84 ERA and 96 strikeouts. Gibson was at his best collegiately as a senior when he went 1--3 with a 3.21 ERA and 131 strikeouts. Throughout his 8 seasons of major league competition, Gibson has pitched for the Twins, the Texas Rangers, and the Philadelphia Phillies. His professional statistics are comprised of a 79-83 win/loss record with a 4.45 ERA and just over 1,000 strikeouts. Gibson represented the Phillies in his lone All-Star appearance in 2021. By drafting Kyle Gibson, the Minnesota Twins became the 22nd most ignorant ballclub in Major League Baseball because they didn’t draft Mike Trout.

With the 23rd Pick, the Chicago White Sox Select…

Jared Mitchell, an outfielder from Louisiana State University. Mitchell’s collegiate career with the Bayou Bengals got off to a relatively slow start. During his freshman year, he displayed a mediocre .258 batting average with 54 hits, 3 home runs, and 21 RBIs. However, he proved to be a problem for opposing teams on the base pads, as he stole 18 bases that season. Mitchell’s play was on a steady incline the following season, as he would finish his sophomore year with a .297 batting average, 52 hits, 6 home runs, 29 RBIs, and 16 stolen bases. He then tore up the collegiate scene as a junior with an astonishing .327 batting average compiled of 74 hits, 11 home runs, 50 RBIs, and stealing a mind-boggling 36 bases. Mitchell led the Tigers to a title in the 2009 College World Series and was congratulated with the College World Series Most Outstanding Player Award for his high level of play for LSU. Unfortunately, Jared Mitchell was only able to reach AAA in the minors. The Chicago White Sox were left kicking themselves after they passed up on Mike Trout in 2009.

With the 24th Pick, the Los Angeles Angels Select…

Randal Grichuk, an outfielder from Lamar Consolidated High School in Rosenberg, Texas. In 2008, Grichuk was an All-State First Team member and was named as the All-Houston Area MVP, in a season where he flourished a .435 batting average with 18 home runs and 45 RBIs. The subsequent season saw him acquire even more accolades. In 2009, Grichuk was named as the 24-4A District MVP, Fort Bend Area MVP, was once again First Team All-State and was acknowledged as a First Team All-American by EA Sports and Baseball America. He was able to obtain this high status with an unfathomable .613 batting average with 46 hits, 21 home runs, and 46 RBIs. Grichuk was traded to St. Louis after a short stint in the Angels’ farm system. During his 7 year MLB career, Randal Grichuk has played for the St. Louis Cardinals and the Toronto Blue Jays. He has compiled a .245 batting average with 743 hits, 156 home runs, and 439 RBIs. The Los Angeles Angels, believe it or not, were one of the teams that passed up on Mike Trout, but they were also perhaps the luckiest team in Major League Baseball in 2009. With the next pick, the game would change forever…

Gamechanger

Finally, With the 25th Pick, the Los Angeles Angels Select…

Mike Trout, an outfielder from Millville Senior High School in Millville, Cumberland County, New Jersey. As a junior, Trout set a New Jersey high school baseball record by hitting 18 home runs in a single season. Angels Scout Greg Morhardt claimed that Trout was the fastest and strongest 17-year-old that he had ever seen. Over the extent of his illustrious 10-year career, Mike Trout has accumulated a .305 batting average with 1,419 hits, 310 home runs, 816 RBIs, and 203 stolen bases, along with his countless amounts of accolades and awards previously mentioned. By the age of 26, Trout was already being considered as a first-ballot Hall of Famer. Today, at the age of 30, he is arguably the greatest baseball player of all time.

Legacy

24 different players were drafted by 21 different teams before Mike Trout was drafted in the 2009 Major League Baseball First-Year Player Draft. None of them are even close to being on the same level as Trout. The best way to determine a ballplayer’s greatness is by their career WAR(Wins Above Replacement). WAR determines how valuable a player is to their team. A player’s career WAR value is claimed to be the number of additional wins his team has collected above the number of expected team wins if that player were substituted with a replacement-level player(a player who may be added to the team for minimal cost and effort, a placeholder, essentially). The average career WAR amongst the 24 players drafted ahead of Mike Trout is 6.7. Mike Trout has a career WAR of 76.1, which ranks 5th all-time amongst center fielders. That’s how much better Mike Trout is compared to the players that were drafted before him. However, things like this are not uncommon in Major League Baseball. The all-time greats are often those who were selected in the later rounds of the draft. For example, Mike Piazza was drafted by the Los Angeles Dodgers in the 62nd round of the 1988 MLB June Amateur Draft after his parents begged Tommy Lasorda to draft their son. Piazza went on to become the best hitting catcher of all time. Only two 1st overall draft picks have ever been inducted into the National Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, New York: Ken Griffey Jr. and Chipper Jones. This data confirms that the MLB Draft is a cruel game of roulette, and it is tremendously strenuous to pick out the diamonds hidden within the rough.