Believe in Yourself | Teen Ink

Believe in Yourself

May 21, 2018
By adefrenza BRONZE, Park Ridge, Illinois
adefrenza BRONZE, Park Ridge, Illinois
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

“Listen to me Antoinette. I was in your shoes five years ago. If you don’t start trying now, you will regret it when you get to high school. Look into the future, beyond high school, and see what you really want to accomplish, and prepare for the real world.” These were the words that were said to me in seventh grade by my brother Joe. He is five years older than me, and gave me advice that changed my life for the better. This advise gave me so much stress that made my stomach turn. As a child in elementary and middle school, I was an average B and C student, and was also very stubborn. I didn’t want to listen to my brother or anyone who gave me similar advice. As I approached high school, I started to fully apply myself, and now all I can do is thank my brother for the motivation to work hard in school.


In middle school, and especially elementary school I was either put into the lower level classes or given extra help. In seventh and eighth grade we had an extra teacher in math and science. She would always help me prepare better for tests and quizzes. I realized getting this extra help could and couldn’t benefit me for my future. I realized that in high school I needed to decide how to take on responsibility for my own learning. In order to take responsibility for my learning, I requested to be moved up into regular classes in high school. Luckily my counselor was able to put me in regular classes. In the beginning it was hard, but I turned out to be quite successful.


Going from the average student, to improving to where I am now has taught me great strength. This shows that as long as you set your mind to something, you can do it. I’m far more glad I stepped up in school because it has given me much more opportunity. With these choices I made, I now have much more possibilities for my future. I still think about the “what if’s.”  What would my life be like now if I didn’t work hard in school? Those thoughts don’t mean much to me now because I know I will always try my best, and put in full effort to complete any big or small task.


Throughout this experience, I’ve learned to always believe in yourself. Ever since this, I like to set specific goals for myself, and no matter how long it takes, I do everything I can to achieve them.  Now I am a straight A student who is currently enrolled in Accelerated, and Advanced Placement classes. This has taught me far more than to try hard, but life long lessons. This doesn't just apply to school, it applies to everyday tasks. When you have to work on something that is challenging, don’t give up. Always look beyond what your doing and remember you can accomplish it, as long as you put your mind to it.