Opposites Attract | Teen Ink

Opposites Attract

December 16, 2016
By Grac14 BRONZE, Sedan, Kansas
Grac14 BRONZE, Sedan, Kansas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Freshman year there was a new boy that arrived in my class. He was an atheist. His name was Drew. So every day I had to battle with him condemning me about my religion. Constantly he would say things to me about it. He even made me cry some days. I had him in many classes so that didn’t help at all. During seminar we both had Mrs. Signer. She saw how much we bickered and would always say “You two are going to end up dating.” Me being the freshman I was, I would always freak out and say “No way!” Little did everyone know, I secretly had a small crush on him. I will say it was off and on though. The torment didn’t seem to get better that year.


Near to the end of the school year, we were in science, and we sat by eachother, of course, and he snatched my hand and held it just to mess with me. He knew I didn’t want him to, and I tried to pull my hand away like you do when you touch a hot oven. But he wouldn’t let go until the teacher said “Keep your hands to yourself.” My face began to blaze with embarrassment. 


The next year, sophomore year, my best friend liked a boy, which happened to be really good friends with Drew. Anyway, she wanted to go to the movies with him but didn’t want to go alone, and neither did the boy she liked.  Being the great friend I am, I decided to go with her. And guess who showed up. Yep, you guessed it. Drew. The guy my friend was with wanted to put his arm around her, but he was more nervous than a cat in a dog pound. So Drew came over and sat by me to show him how easy it was. He placed his arm around me like a sly fox.
  The next weekend we all went to the movies again, but this time my friend‘s date wanted to hold her hand, but once again was super nervous. So this time Drew came over and held my hand. My heart was racing. That night he texted me and told me he had fun. When I got that text, my stomach was full of butterflies. We then started talking. Then the talking led to dating.


I told Drew, “If you want to date me you’re going to have to talk to my parents.” I thought for sure that would make him flee like a burglar caught in the night and not talk to me ever again. But, to my surprise, he said he would. I had to consult with my parents before he did. They kept saying “The bible says to not be unequally yoked, but it’s up to you.” Them telling me over and over that they don’t like the idea of me dating him, made me want to date him even more. He was nervous to talk to my parents, so he asked me, “Will you sit in there with me?” I really didn’t want to because I felt like it was going to be super awkward. I did anyway.


I didn’t think we would last very long. And obviously neither did he. I asked him one time, “Did you think we were going to last very long?” He replied with, “No. I thought it was only going to be a couple months.” But it has now been over 2 years. My parents seem to be a little more fond of him now.


Remember the part about him holding my hand in class one time and we got in trouble? Well I recently asked him why he did that. He said, “Just to get to hold your hand. I had a huge crush on you ever since I moved here.” I was so surprised. But after all this time I’ve learned that he’s full of surprises. That is one of the many things I love about him.