New Beginnings | Teen Ink

New Beginnings

By alinebarton SILVER, Wasco, California
alinebarton SILVER, Wasco, California

Like it says on the title, “New Beginnings”, it’s true because these past three weeks have been different for me and hard to acknowledge that I’m in a place where I feel lost. The reason is that moving is not easy especially in the middle of my junior year. Maybe that doesn’t sound that bad, but let me tell you why it is. I moved states! Phoenix, Arizona to Shafter, California to be exact. Trying to adjust to a new environment can be tiring and lonesome in a way. While I’m here I have been finding some light in the dark corners. I’ve made friends in this new school and I’m trying to get out of my comfort zone to accomplish what I need to. So, I’m just taking it a day at a time.

I told myself that I shouldn’t just go day by day, and feel neutral because it’s just wasting every moment I have a chance at having to experience something new and to do extraordinary things. If I waste it now then I will regret it now no matter where I’m at. High school is a place and time to make mistakes or even create the best memories for myself and others. There is thing that is stopping me from doing the impossible and the extraordinary, it’s fear. I’m afraid of being disappointed by the results, not being accepted, failure of being happy in a new place. I try to keep telling myself that I don’t need to be afraid and if I am then fail anyway because I know I’ll get back on my feet again to keep trying. The reason for that is I have my best friends in Arizona that has my back and family who will support me and encourage me to keep going no matter what.

A situation like this makes me think bad to when I was in second grade. I was a new student and soon I was being bullied because how I looked and how much taller I was from everyone else. I was hurt at first, but I had my family to support me and told me to keep my head held high because I was strong and could beat any obstacle that will come my way. I went to school the next day confident as ever and in the end of the day I beat my fear and stood in front of everyone with my head held high. Not so long later all those kids that picked on me became my friends, and me being me, I forgave everyone. I was finally happy because I faced my fears. That memory will always be my motivation for myself when an obstacle comes my way. I just hope this will never fail me, but I have faith that I will always come out a winner. “New Beginnings” is somethings everyone will face at some point in their lives, but all we need to learn is how to face them and soon happiness is all that would be come in from then on. I can’t wait what the future beholds for me now.