I Guess I'm a Party Pooper | Teen Ink

I Guess I'm a Party Pooper

By cameron.carlisle BRONZE, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
cameron.carlisle BRONZE, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

You need a me in your life.

I walked in my house after a long day at work and my parents were just standing in front of the door staring at me. All I could think was, ‘These people are looking at me like I’m crazy, is my hair messy? Do I have something spilled on me?’. They started yelling at me over how I asked earlier in the day if they were gonna go out again. Sometimes both sides just need to admit what they’ve done wrong in a situation.

First, my perspective, my parents shouldn’t go out as much. My parents faces were two inches away from my face. I’m five feet and one inch so that is a pretty scary situation whether I know you or not. They were talking at the same time so it sounded as if they were the adults in Charlie Brown “mwahwah wahwah mwah”. I realized they were screaming at me for a comment I made before I left for work. “Bye, I’m off to the skating rink. Are you guys gonna go out again tonight? Just like all the other nights”, I said rolling my eyes and walking out the door. Why am I even getting mad at my parents over this you may ask? Even though we are teenagers we still need our parents for some things.

Second, all I could even think was, ‘Wow, they are really confronting me and getting mad at me for them not being home’. I felt because I’m a child I’m not entitled to speak and that no one will listen to me.  I was trying to stand up for my brother. That’s why I even said that before I left the house in the beginning. All I want out of this is an assurance they will be home more. My thoughts are me wishing for a happier home life and for them to want one too.

Lastly,  my parent’s perspective, having fun every night. My dad said, “Gain some responsibility and then we’ll talk again about how I’m going out too much”.  I feel they disagreed with me because I’m a child and they think I know nothing. I understand when you have a job you use your spare time to eat, sleep, and hangout with people you never see. I just wanna be one of those people. I see how they just want time together though. My parents weren’t realizing that leaving had a huge effect on not only me, but everyone who lives in our house. They thought they were doing everything right but, in reality it was only for themselves. They were too distracted in the fun party life they weren’t paying attention to their kids. I need my parents to be in my life still. I need them there for me when I cry, or I’m hungry, or I had a good day even.

In conclusion, sometimes you need to admit what’s wrong on both sides of an argument. I’ve learned that I’m not an adult yet and that even though I’m worried about my home life I also need to worry about school.  We still haven’t fully recovered and they are still going out a lot but, we are getting there. If all schools used more empathy toward other people society would be much more caring instead of judge everything everyone does. If our community used more empathy you would feel the caring in the air. Everyone would be so much more joyful if everyone cared about everyone's point of view on life.

I feel people will understand better the home life of teenagers.