My Captain | Teen Ink

My Captain

By WilliamPatrick BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
WilliamPatrick BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey

A former United States Marine, a father of four, a grandfather of five. The stories, the life lessons, and the experiences we have endured together, I will never forget. A man deserving of homage, he is someone you will never forget. A disarming personality, he rarely leaves you without a smile. He speaks with thought and coherence. A rough and graveled voice, yet it is smooth and affable. A bond, a trust, with him like no other, he is someone I will forever look up to.

It is finally time to see him, and summer break in Hilton Head South Carolina could not of come sooner. After eight months of school it was time for a break. Still between me and the paradise of Hilton Head and with him waiting for me to arrive, was a twelve hour car ride. The hours in the car seemed like sitting for days in a cell. Confined in the car for hours, I was left sullen and tired. Yet, I still had the burning anticipation building up inside of me waiting to be fulfilled. The walks on the fine, sandy beaches, swimming in the salty, warm water, late night trips to the notorious Hilton Head Ice Cream, playing the  lusciously groomed golf courses, and he is waiting to do it all with me. After what I presumed to be the longest twelve hours of my life we finally made it to his residence. He had the most spectacular house, able to fit the whole family and more. New memories would soon be made the next day following our arrival as we took the first night to catch up on each other’s lives.

He and I began our drive to the Marine Corps Base, Parris Island, where he had once trained as a young marine. Our day would consist of eighteen holes of golf, a drink at the clubhouse, and tour of the rest of the base before heading home for supper. The course is aligned with palms and towering pines on both sides. Dark, alluring lagoons filled with the largest alligators I have ever seen to this day, are scattered across the course. I treasure my time on the golf course with him, and his tips towards my swing. I cherish his ability to always know how to lift my spirits after a dreadful shot, and help enhance my level of play. I prized our conversations on the course with one another, the discussions on modern issues, who should become our next president, our favorite vineyard vines clothes, or what we planned on having for dinner that night. The little things we did together and discussed is what made the biggest impact on me as a person and on our friendship. He is a teacher to me, he is a guide for me on and off the course. He teaches me proper etiquette on the golf course, and it taught me to be more respectful as a person. He teaches me how to be patient and maintain my poise on the golf course, and this helped me develop patience and a more tranquil state of mind.

He helped me become the person I am today. He has taught me and continues to teach me how to be better. I look up to him in every aspect of life. I admire his accomplishments, his success, and I hope one day to be just as successful as him. I aspire to be just as achieving as he has, and just as happy as he is. He is a man I will forever laud and respect. He is my Captain.