Arachnophobia | Teen Ink

Arachnophobia

October 19, 2016
By dazion BRONZE, Sacramento, California
dazion BRONZE, Sacramento, California
3 articles 0 photos 5 comments

I have been terrified of spiders for as long as i can remember until i turned 13, and this autumn in particular is the worst time for people like e. If you hadn’t already noticed, spiders are everywhere – silvery webs fill back gardens, spun across bra0 . I know that phobias are usually taught , or learned through tough experience, and they’re more common in people who worry about spiders like me. My spider fear rises and falls according to how stressed I am, as though I’m projecting my woes. I hate bushes and fences, all with larger-than-average spiders at their centre. Apparently, the warm summer means that there’s more prey for them to fatten up on – so even if their numbers haven’t swelled, their bodies have.


I would describe my level of fear, about them: webs, legs, big body’s, the crawling , the stillness, their silence. My least favourites are the thick, dark spiders that hang out in corners.


After amy interaction with spiders  in the spring, a spider encounter boosted my fear to high levels: i ran walked away into another room , only to let it crawl freely all around my house. creature in my living room with many eyes preying on me probably looking to go in for the kill. I was walking around to see cause i was panicking, skin crawling, and i was shook at the thought he could crawl on me and lay baby’s to invade our house . It was me against this minute, harmless creature, so I threw my shoe at it and i moved away quick cause it started moving quickly.


my weapon of choice was right in the spider’s grasp so i stood my distance. I stood still motionless as i stared down the spider nervously not knowing what the spider was to do next. I went to my cousin to ask if he would kill the spider for me. But sadly he mockingly laughed and walked back into his room . he wasn’t afraid of spiders like i was. i never liked even getting near bugs. Bugs and me never got along. I have  always hated them the crawly big ugly dirty creatures, especially the ones that can kill by toxic liquids that can get into your system.


Thinking about the many possible events of what the spider could do i quickly think fast and tell my great grandpa that there was a spider in the living room that got in the house which happens when doors are left open when people step outside. So anyway i tell him and he gets up and i see the spider crawling away and he ask me where is the spider and i point in the direction  of where it is he see’s and he gets his shoe that he forgets i get worried cause the spider could get away he’s taking his sweet time and i’m just there waiting. So he finally comes back to kill the spider and he swings with all his might and splats the spider on the wall. Now that the spiders killed i can relax and watch my favorite tv show and eat my favorite cereal. To this day i still fear spiders but not as much as i did when i was  13.


The author's comments:

the time i encountered a black widow