My Philosophy: An Excerpt | Teen Ink

My Philosophy: An Excerpt

April 1, 2016
By Theblackshadowchronicles SILVER, State College, Pennsylvania
Theblackshadowchronicles SILVER, State College, Pennsylvania
9 articles 1 photo 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Your hair is Winter fire, January embers." - Stephen King's It.


Perhaps the greatest fault at which our contemporary society has failed is not in the people, per se, but the loss of human interaction; the fallen connections that no longer reach our hearts - only our minds. Shockingly, however, this is not the root of the issue. My observations have been consistent: humans, generally speaking, make many mistakes. We wrong others - no matter the ethnic origin, or geographic area. It does not have to be a face-to-face oppression, but instead a gradual punishment of others. It can be seen in modern education - a simple task of learning is then picked apart and observed rather than enjoyed. Collegiate students, for instance, have boxed themselves into a single category to study, and then "master" accordingly. What if, then, that college student was sufficient at many tasks? What if their great call to action was ignored altogether all because of a system of negligence? Society can no longer pursue happiness - which, I must stress greatly is in fact the end goal, correct? So why must we choose one path? One choice? Science cannot be mixed with English. Mathematics must not pair with History. Even then, what are these "subjects"? Are they not merely just topics of discussion? Why, then, is it the standard? Whoever may be reading my philosophy this moment, for example, may base my intelligence only - but fails to see the other sides of my personality. Perhaps right now I'm eating chips and laughing at videos online, which, if my guess is right, is the exact opposite of what my audience may expect. But why?


Society hasn't forgotten to ask questions, but society certainly forgot to ask the right questions.


It's not solely education, either. Other aspects of general life have been over-analyzed and oppressed. An example I often find myself mauling over consists of politics. Civilization has created these barriers we choose to hate in our leaders and governments - therefore, it's a perplexing argument as to why civilization doesn't remove the issues of the system we loathe within us. Simply put: we put these systems into place, therefore, it is not impossible to take them away. Every action, as Newton claims, has an equal and opposite reaction. This is why the cyclical motion of failed politics occur, and why society has ignorantly placed our meanings and materialistic needs over our soul and peaceful understanding.


My greatest philosophy is that if indeed humans took upon themselves a respectable, responsible lifestyle, then the issues we face would be defeated quite easily. The response I have gotten, of course, includes the obvious: humans, they say, could never follow this. We are too irresponsible to handle ourselves, and yet, hypocritically, we allow other humans to rule over us. Again, the cycle incurs once more.


The hope of my soul is that mankind will take the right path - one that isn't counter-productive. The issue of today is that we, including all of the human race, become our own worst enemy. We like to place things on scales; politic spectrum, for example. And yet, if you observe two very different philosophies such as Communism and Fascism, you will see that when put into practice, they each produce the very same result: unhappiness. What if the trick is to not observe and dissect these wrongdoings, but rather be moderate and level-headed? Wouldn't it be a beautiful existence, if our only rule we guided ourselves with was common sense? If each of us could see the outside of the cave, such as Plato's Allegory, we would uncover the blasphemy and comical methods of how we, as humans, run our lives.