Yesterday's Spirit Animal, Is Still Here Today | Teen Ink

Yesterday's Spirit Animal, Is Still Here Today

When someone says “spirit animal”, your average, modern person may say something like “Madonna is my spirit animal,” or “Tina from Bob’s Burgers is my spirit animal!” Maybe someone says “McDonald’s is my spirit animal!” Granted, spirit animals, more properly known as spirit guides, are things that hold traits that you possess or will possess over time, but these are not proper examples. The true definition of a spirit guide, provided by the american indian heritage foundation(source A); is a natural entity (animal, plant, geographical object etc.) given to a person at birth or when they reach puberty. This spirit is suppose to bring you guidance and advice through your lifetime. In this day and age old cultures such as the native american traditions of spirit animals, have become misinterpreted to be comical. The youth of today has warped what was once a very serious culture.

A person's spirit guide must share traits with whom it represents. When I was eight years old my family went to visit the Shoshone ice caves in Idaho. The caves are on a Shoshone indian reservation and while we waited for our guide through the caves an old woman stare at me. She had long grey hair and a colorful poncho on. The sun was hot and there was sweat on her brow but she kept staring at me. I waved at her and she walked over to me. We talked and I told her my native american heritage. She asked me questions like my favorite season and if I got along with my brother. She’d smile and listen to my younger self blabber on to this woman I’d never met before. After a while our guide had come to take us to the caves. The woman never spoke her name but she kissed my sweaty brow and said “you’re a beautiful butterfly. You will learn in time.” I left her there in the desert, but I will never forget her.

That day impacted me forever. There is a sense of power that the knowledge of your spirit guide brings. You become more at one with yourself. Knowing your spirit guide gives you insight of who you are. A native american author, Takatoka, describes this experience, “Each thing on Earth and each thing in the Universe has its own particular appearance, traits and other distinguishing qualities.  In a general way, we can draw certain lessons from these traits and qualities for each object or thing in the universe. We do not and should not attach a particular "meaning" to these things as to do so would be like creating spiritual dogma or doctrine -- and this is something that is taboo”(Source B).

A disclaimer about spirit animals/guides, is that they are not there to be blamed. They represent you, but you are still your own person. You can have traits that are not related to your guide what so ever. Also you do not pick your spirit guide freely. Usually, a shaman would grace you with one when you are born, or when you come of age. If you’ve lived past the ages of when you would usually learn your spirit animal, you can discover your inner guide through meditations (Source C).

Aside from what a spirit guide is, the big picture is that people today are misrepresenting what a spirit animal/guide actually is. Now people may excuse this a flick of the wrist saying that it’s just children having fun, but at the same time this is still a culture to some people. Spirit guides are just a small part of native american culture, and it is maimed regularly.

Halloween is said to be the number one day that cultural appropriation takes place. The following is an excerp from a news website (Source D) and just how far cultural appropriation against native americans has gone; “The classic example of cultural appropriation is the ‘sexy’ Native American costume, such as this HalloweenCostumes.co.uk example which promises to “turn you into a Native American princess” (“Check out our Indian costume accessories to add a tomahawk or a peace pipe accessory!”) White people’s history of raping, brutalising and driving Native Americans off of their own land is openly mocked when companies market these sexualised, offensive costumes to white girls. Sticking on a Native American headdress becomes as quick, easy and guilt-free as a Playboy bunny tail.”

We as humans, are so eager to jump on the bandwagon, to start trends, but some of the “trends” you try to set can be racist and or just downright offensive. Believing that a sloth is your spirit animal because you say you’re lazy, doesn’t actually fit the bill. Sloths represent kindness and pacifism, not laziness and ambitionless. In my opinion, I feel that it’s not only an insult to the culture, but also an insult to the animal. It’s not the sloths fault they aren’t built for speed.

Spirit guides shouldn’t be something that people find humorous. They should be something that people find comfort and solace in. Spirit animals are there to guide you and help you through life when you need them most. You shouldn’t make light of something as deep in meaning as that. It would be like making fun of someone’s mother or perhaps their religion. Regardless of it is not your culture, you should still show it respect.

Cultures are in this world because no one person is the same. Even if you may share the same spirit guide with someone, doesn’t mean you and them will be exactly alike. Like what was said previously, “We do not and should not attach a particular "meaning" to these things”. To put meaning on something such as a spiritual guide then it detracts from its true meaning. There will never just be one meaning to something as broad as one spirit animal.

The butterfly for example, the guide that has helped me through my life, is forever changing. Butterflies are colorful and creative, but will undergo many changes and will never stay the same for long. Whether that means simply in appearance or in life style. The bear, who is my brother, is proud, independent, but solitary and lonely. There is no one side to anything in life.

You should always respect people’s cultures even if you do not agree. If you don’t want to believe in spirit guides that is a hundred percent okay, but don’t make fun of it. In fact, in general you shouldn't say anything that you don’t know the meaning of. It’s just a method of courtesy that everyone should know.

Now everyone has their own rights and freedom of speech and all, but does that give people the right to disrespect cultures not their own? Through this day and age I feel we need to take a higher appreciation in other cultures and expand our knowledge whether it be spirit guides or other cultures. It does not matter what your culture is, it is about respecting others and their choices and their culture. If it is not your culture don’t worry about it. If it has a component that you disagree with, then properly and appropriately voice that. You don’t need to be little another culture by turning it into comedy, because there will be people who take offense to it. Treat people and their culture like you would like to be treated.