State Champs | Teen Ink

State Champs

By B61387 BRONZE, Grand Rapids, Michigan
B61387 BRONZE, Grand Rapids, Michigan

Bang--the ball exploded of my bat.  I dropped my bat with force and with my head down running to first, not even noticing that the ball squeezed up the middle for a hit and the winning run, as we just beat one of the best teams in the state (Maroons). In my mind all I was thinking about was that I just won the game for us. I looked up all I could see is my team racing towards me. Everyone in the stands screaming so loud and celebrating with great joy. 
I could hear my dad scream “Way to go Brock,” with an enthusiastic voice.  And other parents yelling “Let’s go Elite”.
Pulling into the hotel parking lot I could hear a booming sound and I was wondering what it was I was hearing.  But as soon as we drove a little farther I could see it was my teammates dad blasting music and some of my teammates dancing to the music.  More people congratulated me on my hit as I’m getting out of the car.
Later that night, Coach Kraft walked up to me and exclaimed, “Way to come up in the clutch Brock. We really need that win today.”
“Thanks coach,” I said with a beaming smile on my face.  “Now let’s go win that championship tomorrow,” my coach stated. 
“Yeah,” I exclaimed.
“ Hard work pays off Brock :  and you have worked really hard this year,” he exclaimed.
The next morning in the hotel lobby, coach calls a team meeting. 
“Good morning boys, our game today has been delayed for now and I’ll let you know when to me at the field,” said coach.
“Ok,” the whole team answered.  As coach left the lobby we all look outside and all our eyes got huge because of how hard it was raining. 
“I don’t think we are gonna play today guys,” I said.
“Probably not,” some of my teammates answered.
  A couple hours later coach still hasn’t told us to head to the field, so my team decides to starting doing obnoxious things like wrestling, running around, throwing balls around. That only lasted and couple of minutes because we ended up getting in trouble by a lady working at the hotel.
We see Coach’s arms that he has 2 huge boxes, and we are all looking at each other like what the heck is in those boxes.
After coach gently put down the boxes he said, “The tournament is cancelled guys, and guess what... WE WON.” 
All of us looked at each other and were so shocked.  Coach handed me our team trophy and I held it as tight as I could because I didn’t want to drop it.  After he handed us our personal trophies, and those were by far the coolest trophies ever. 
“Now it’s picture time,” said someone’s parent.
“Say cheese,” said someone’s mom.  Walking away after the picture my coaches call me over and said,
“Hey, great tournament Brock”. 
“Thanks,” I said with a big smile on my face.
“Bye you guys,” I said while waving to my team.
“Bye,” I could hear them scream while we were driving away. 
Looking back at this event hard work is needed ; in life stuff isn’t just going to be handed to you so you have to put in the work to get where you want to be.  In this tournament we were going in there as the underdog and not favored to win the tournament, but we work as hard as we could and that is why we won.

This is inspired by my personal narrative