The World Changer | Teen Ink

The World Changer

By Charlize BRONZE, Grand Rapids, Michigan
Charlize BRONZE, Grand Rapids, Michigan

“ We have something to tell you! ” my Mom  and Dad exclaimed. I stared at them blankly.

“You are going to have a baby sister”!
A twisted feeling formed inside me. It was… It was… confusion. I had no clue what a baby and a sister was? I was only four! Although I wasn’t completely sure what was going to happen, I had no idea how much  a sister would change my life.
     A few months later; I lay slumped on a tan couch located in a hospital waiting room. My Grandma, Grandpa, Aunt, and Uncle sat around me. Each and everyone had a gleam in there eye. I knew today was the day I would get a sister.
“ Are you excited? ”  My Aunt said with glee.
I rubbed my eyes and answered, “ Excited for what?!?” This was the only thing anyone was talking to me about.
“ Are you excited about having a little sister? ” She stammered. I gazed at my Aunt. Her brown hair was was up in a sloppy bun. Hair poked out everywhere. Her hazel colored eyes stayed fixed on me waiting for a reply.
“ I don’t know what a sister is!” I angrily shouted while stomping my foot.
“ Woah sassy, sister is like me and your mom.” My Aunt answered.
“ Really? ”
I looked at her with disbelief. I then layed back down on the couch and stared outside. A white wall of snow came falling down while icicles hung from the window ledge. The sun was impossible to see on this frigid cold day. I then thought to myself: What if I don’t want a sister?--What if I get less attention! I quickly hopped off of the couch and ran to my Grandma.
“ I don’t know if I want a sister ” I cried out.
She smiled down at me with brown curls of hair streaming down and said, “ Trust me you will love it, a sister is like a mini you! ”
      Suddenly, the tan aged door creaked open. A tall man wearing a long white coat towered over me. A grey shaggy  beard hung from his wrinkled face.
“ She is here.” he happily croaked.
My grandpa took my hand and led me down a long hallway. I knew I was finally going to see what a sister was. It felt like years of walking to the hospital room that  my Mom was in. My heart raced. Thud, thud, thud. It continued to pump extremely fast.  Finally, we arrived. My uncle  knocked and then pushed the door open. As the door squeaked open I glanced at my mom who was lying on a bed. Exhaustion looked like it had the best of her. My Mother’s eyes were  fighting to stay open.  I then glanced at my dad who was standing right beside her. He had a smile but it was obvious he just wanted to rest. I quickly ran to the bed. That’s when I saw a small glimpse of it! My mom was holding a mini person.I glanced at everyone in the small room wondering: How much will my life change?.
“ Everyone, meet Ava. ” my Dad happily announced.
“ Awww ” my Aunt cheered.
“ How adorable! ” my Grandma joyfully stated.
“ Awesome ” my Uncle blurted.
Everyone was so focused on the baby it was like they forgot about me. I tried to get their attention but no one realized. I wanted to see Ava better.  A storm of jealousy bubbled inside of me.
“ Helloooo, anybody? ” I shouted as I quickly ran to a grey chair right beside my moms bed. I climbed to the top of it and began jumping up and down.
“ I can’t see Ava! ” I yelled frustrated.
   I waved my hands back and forth waiting for a reaction. My Dad finally realized: he scooped me off of the chair and set me on the bed beside my mom.  I stared at Ava for the first time. Her features were tiny and her skin was smooth. She rested in my mom's arms with a blanket swaddled around her. A white hat with lines wrapping around it was placed on her small head. Brown pieces of hair peeked out of the hat. My Mom stared down at Ava with a twinkle in her eyes. Ava cried out a large yawn and that's when it came to me; I want to hold her!
A large smirk spread across my small face while ideas tumbled threw out my brain:Maybe having a sister won’t be too bad.  She is adorable. Wait, will everyone still ignore me? Maybe it will be bad! I can’t make my mind up. My smirk instantly vanished with the thoughts of envy. I then remembered: I still want to hold her.
“ Can I hold her pleeeeeease!” I proposed out loud. My Mom nervously gestured my Dad over. My Mother whispered in his ear. He nodded his head yes and then turned to me.
“ You can hold her as long as I can help you ” he answered me.
My mom passed Ava to me after I sat on the grey chair. Ava was light like a pillow. She wiggled around in my arms. With a large yawn she stretched out. I giggled a little. That's when a warm feeling swarmed around my heart. I looked up and realized everyone's eyes were on me as I held her fragile body. Ava smiled at me and that's when I realized something very important. I Love my little sister;I believe this is definitely the beginning of a beautiful friendship.
     Ever since Ava was born, my life and I have changed dramatically. Through tough times and fun times, she is always here for me and I am always here for her.  With her large imagination, she has caused me to become a much more creative person. Although we may fight we always find a way to make up. Without her, life at home would be excruciatingly boring. We find ways to take dull and transform it into a whole new level of entertainment! Ava has also taught me the true value of sharing and caring.  Ever since I had a chance to hold Ava I learned having sister is not bad at all.  It is a wonderful experience that no one should be afraid of. Maybe at first having a sibling can be tough, but they are like a miniature you.  You are someone they look up to. So learn to love your sibling like I did.

The End

“You are going to have a baby sister”!
“ Really? ”
“ She is here.” he happily croaked.
“ Awww ” my Aunt cheered.
“ Awesome ” my Uncle blurted.

The End