Money Can't Buy Happiness | Teen Ink

Money Can't Buy Happiness

By yarif BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
yarif BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware

Yes, I do believe that money cannot buy happiness. I believe that we find happiness within ourselves. You can’t just think that money will make everything better and change everything. Money will only change things for a short amount of time, not forever. If some one did depend on money for their happiness, that’s not the true definition of happiness. 

Growing up, I’ve always thought that money could buy happiness, getting what I wanted and being spoiled was always the best. Especially when you got what you wanted. I also wanted to be like other kids around me. Since they got what they wanted I thought to by myself, I could do the same thing. I also did it just so I could look good and to look cool. Even though there were times when my mother said “no”, I would always get my way just because of the little attitude I would always get. I always had asked myself “What is the word no?” I never agreed with the word “no.” I would always get my way even if I couldn’t get it from my mother, I would go to my grandpa or my stepfather and ask them if I could get it, only because they’ll always say yes to me.

Until I got older, my grandpa deceased and my mother was getting a divorce with my stepfather. So she ended up getting her own place with just my older brother, and me. I have other siblings but they already have their own place. I had experienced a lot from this and grown a lot to realize that money cannot define happiness. We didn’t have that much money like we did before, my mother couldn’t afford stuff like she used too. Seeing my mother struggle and doing things on her own, made me appreciate the little things she did for us, and the things that we had. I started to realize the little things means the most than just money.  At least I had a home and my mother will always buy food for us, not everyone has that.

My point is, depending on an object is not always good. Because you’ll never know what will happen in 5 or 10 years, your life can be completely different in the next few years. Even when you less expect it. But a lot of people nowadays think money is everything and that it’s the best thing ever. It is so disappointing knowing that’s what people in my generation is worried about.  Yes, it is good feelings to be getting money, so you could go and buy things you want. But for me that’s really not important anymore like before. But not everybody in this world would agree to this. In my opinion you just have to go through something like this, so you can actually realize money can’t buy happiness.

This means alot to me.