They Don't Understand | Teen Ink

They Don't Understand

By HisMissJoker BRONZE, Hemet, California
HisMissJoker BRONZE, Hemet, California

To Die Would Be An Awfully Big Adventure.

It's just a teenage thing. All teenagers think that. Maybe it's true, did you ever think that? Maybe just maybe you really don't understand me like you think you do. I'm your daughter yes but not once have you tried to know who I am. I'm not the fantasy daughter you dreamt me to be. I am nowhere near perfect like you assume I can be. I am most definitely not you. I am not religious nor do I believe in what you do and I find it exhausting to speak with you about such subjects because all you do is choke me. You choke me on phrases and sayings that feel like venom on my skin and I have no choice but to listen or become a disobedient child. I am not friendly because that is who I am. I can not compliment unless told to or likewise. I can not speak willingly to strangers, I can not smile on the right cue. Do you understand yet? Of course you don't because what parent wants to change their perspective on their own child. I am drowing in stress and imperfections. You want better for me but what is better? My definition is nothing like yours. I want things you wouldn't dare think of because to you it is vile. To me, they are magical and mystifying. I try my hardest to please you any way I can but why won't you see me for me? It's just a teenage thing when we say you don't understand.